Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How well is Skyline/Solstice selling?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The numbers Ckit cites would seem to indicate sales are somewhat steady...ish. I see more of the base ones than the GXPs myself. I haven't kept an eye out for them, but I do see them daily.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProV1,Jan 1 2008, 12:53 PM
they've been out for about a year right..? anyone know how well/poorly they are selling?
would you like me to pull a carfax on one for you?

I crack myself up sometimes...

Happy new year....
Old 01-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Well to be fair it could be a number of reasons. Most cars peak in sales when they are introduced and the sales fall off over time. Even the sales of the s2000 have gone down recently, although of course this car has been on the market for much longer.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see more of them than S2000's up here but that proves nothing.

The numbers I see on the web YTD are:

Solstice sales. 15,493 YTD
Sky sales. 10,620 YTD
Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

26000 cars / year on the same platform doesnt sound too bad. gm is stealing a lot of miata sales!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM

I don't like the looks of these cars, the drive trains in my opinion are inferior to the S2k's, and the interiors have a generally cheap feel to them.

But irrespective of the looks, performance or engineering, there is a fundamental problem with the layout of the cars. It is a cumbersome process to take down the roof, and because of the way that the roof comes down, there is simply not a lot of room to store stuff in the trunk. I drove up to The Tail of the Dragon in September of last year with a buddy from Orlando. We both have S2k', and at least there is sufficient trunk space to pack the car for a long weekend.

Both of these GM products have the most useless excess for a trunk I hae seen in a long time. Even if I liked the cars more, and even though roadsters are not practical cars per se, it is nice to have some trunk space so that you can take the car somewhere to actually enjoy it. Neither car is as usable as any number of other roadsters on the market, i.e., S2k, Miata or MX-5, or a Z-4.

The other problem with the cars is that they are so stylized that they become dated looking quickly. Neither design has a very long "Use By" date in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that's not related to the thread, but I'll share my story. Before I bought my S2000, I test drove a Solstice, it was raining that day, so the salesman let me in one of them, and I waited couple minutes while he went to get the car keys, while I was waiting in the car, the roof was leaking very badly on passenger side, I made sure it wasn't because the door or the window was open, the whole carpet was soaked wet because of the leak, it's like the car is flooded. when the salesman came back with the keys, I didn't say anything about the leak, he was just putting his hand were it's leaking to hide it, I felt sorry for him, being a salesman for a crappy product is not an easy job. but the car was way substandard, when I started the engine, the gear lever was shaking so bad and the whole dashboard was vibrating like a 20 year old car. the test drive was even worse, I was thinking to myself, who the heck would buy a car like this ?? it sure looks nice, but everything else is bad.
I will be surprised if this car is selling well, it doesn't have a single competitive feature other than the price, and still getting a used Z350 or S2000 would be a smarter choice if money is the issue.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kva,Jan 1 2008, 05:47 PM
Most cars peak in sales when they are introduced and the sales fall off over time.
Not always. The 2002 was the highest model year sold for the S. I do see your point about sales dropping over time though. The S is another good example of that.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i test drove a sky red line before getting the s, and on paper it looked great, but it really didnt impress. it goes fast when you leave the pedal floored, but i checked turbo lag and it feels like it takes a year to do top gear passes. the exhaust sounds poor IMO, and the feel just doesn't approach the experience of the S2000.

i was used to a leaky roadster with no trunk from my previous convertible (old mercury capri turbo--pig miata) so i overlooked some of the other problems. i wanted a good long term roadster, and i'm VERY glad i went with the s2000!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Recently there was a recall on the Solstice (and the Sky too I guess) - 275,936 units (because they share axle pinions with other GM cars)

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_...call_73314.html

From autoblog: a recall that's affecting 313,000 passenger vehicles and crossovers from General Motors. The recall involves a seal on the rear axle pinion that's apparently prone to leaking, which has the possibility of locking the driven wheels and causing a loss of control. GM will be recalling 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS models, STS sedans and SRX crossovers, as well as the 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and it's platform sibling the 2007 Saturn Sky. All told, that's 275,936 vehicles in the U.S., along with around 38,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico, the Middle East and Asia.

That cannot be helping sales.

Quick Reply: How well is Skyline/Solstice selling?