Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How to sell a car with a loan

Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sell a car with a loan

I am looking to sell a car that I still have a loan on. I owe about 4k with 0% interest rate. Is the only way to pay it off? How long will it take for the title to get to me? Any ideas? I live in Ohio if that helps. It's also not my s2000 that is being sold lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

is the bank that holds the title near you? if so, the easiest thing is for the buyer to go to that bank with you to pay off the loan and get the title right then.

if the title is out of town/state it is a bitch... no one wants to pay you then wait 2-3 days or 2-3 weeks for the title... hopefully you have $4k that you can pay it off yourself once you have a buyer that way you have the title in your hand.

goodluck
Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Things sound like they are differant here in NY, here we get the title a few weeks after 1st buying the car, the title lists the leinholder on it. When the loan is paid the leinholder will give you a letter saying the lein has been paid off.
Levi
Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Things sound like they are differant here in NY, here we get the title a few weeks after 1st buying the car, the title lists the leinholder on it. When the loan is paid the leinholder will give you a letter saying the lein has been paid off.
Levi
^ This is quite normal. Basically, you can't sell car with lien on easily as the buyer will have to wait for the clean title. If you are selling to friend or family, you could sell the car, they drive on your plates and insurance until you get the title back. Kind of risky, but I did that on my last car.

How about just pay the loan off with your credit card?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to probably pay the car off and just get the title. I didn't want to have to wait so long to sell it but I don't think there are too many options. Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

It can be done, but it requires a patient and willing buyer. I recently purchased my Porsche from a private seller (out of state) and he had a lien on it. I wouldn't have done it on a cash deal, but since I was financing a portion through my credit union, I had them involved on the transaction.

My credit union cut (and held) a check to the primary lienholder, and I flew out with a check with the balance for the seller. Everything was pre-arranged and agreed between all 4 parties (buyer, seller, and both banks). Once the car passed final inspection, we executed the contracts, and my bank released the funds to the lienholder. The physical title was in document storage, and had to be retrieved by the seller's bank (took a few weeks). I was able to obtain temporary registration back home with a copy of the purchase contract and a letter from my credit union outlining the title delay issue. It took almost a month to get the title out of storage, signed by the correct parties, and into my hands.

But yeah, if you want things to go easy/smooth, pay off the loan if you have the means. Many people will run from a deal when they see complications, and liens are definitely complications. I was only willing to deal with it because I was buying a very unique car.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackninja
How long will it take for the title to get to me?
Check the state DMV page. In FL, they're electronic. Once the bank releases the lien, they'll either send it automatically, or you request a printed one for maybe $10. Takes about a week, IIRC.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

This isn't as complicated as you guys are making it.

From the seller's perspective:
Step 1. Go through the normal negotiating process but let the buyer know that you don't have the title in your hand.
Step 2. When it comes time to exchange money, draft a bill of sale that reflects that the buyer will pay the seller X directly plus Y to the lien holder.
Step 3. Go to the bank together (this only works if you financed through a bank with brick and mortar locations). This is important. No buyer wants to take you at your word but most people will trust your bank. Walk up to the counter and have them provide a payoff amount (they will contact corporate and then shoot out a paper with the amount on it). The buyer gives money to the bank to pay off the loan, and he gives the seller the difference. The bank will have a title transfer form for just such an occasion and they will instruct the lien holder (themselves) to make out the title to the buyer. Get your bill of sale (complete with the specific performance that you expect from each party - seller agrees to blah, blah, if not, blah, blah, refund) notarized while at the bank.
Step 4. The buyer then takes the car and all paperwork, waits about two weeks for the new title to come in the mail, and then takes the car down to get registered just like you would with any other purchase.

I have done this and it's not a big deal. As a seller, you had better put an insurance requirement in the bill of sale.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
This isn't as complicated as you guys are making it.

From the seller's perspective:
Step 1. Go through the normal negotiating process but let the buyer know that you don't have the title in your hand.
Step 2. When it comes time to exchange money, draft a bill of sale that reflects that the buyer will pay the seller X directly plus Y to the lien holder.
Step 3. Go to the bank together (this only works if you financed through a bank with brick and mortar locations). This is important. No buyer wants to take you at your word but most people will trust your bank. Walk up to the counter and have them provide a payoff amount (they will contact corporate and then shoot out a paper with the amount on it). The buyer gives money to the bank to pay off the loan, and he gives the seller the difference. The bank will have a title transfer form for just such an occasion and they will instruct the lien holder (themselves) to make out the title to the buyer. Get your bill of sale (complete with the specific performance that you expect from each party - seller agrees to blah, blah, if not, blah, blah, refund) notarized while at the bank.
Step 4. The buyer then takes the car and all paperwork, waits about two weeks for the new title to come in the mail, and then takes the car down to get registered just like you would with any other purchase.

I have done this and it's not a big deal. As a seller, you had better put an insurance requirement in the bill of sale.
This only works if the BUYER and the Seller can come up with enough cash to pay off the loan. I am going through a similiar situation where the buyer owes way more on the car loan then I could come up with cash, I am taking a loan to buy the car and the bank will not give me a red cent until i have the purchase and sales and title in hand. The seller was fortunate enough to have enough liquid cash to pay off the loan but now we have to wait for the title to come before we can finalize the transaction.