Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How the Ridgeline beats Chevy, Ford, and Dodge!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 19 2008, 09:46 AM
There's nothing at all wrong w/ wanting to live in a nice-looking neighborhood and sacrificing some minor freedoms to do so...if the pros outweight the cons from your perspective.
Wow. You'll sacrifice freedoms for some more money. Amazing. Just find a neighborhood where you can tell people are taking care of their properties. Why live in an HOA to try and assure it (and pay money to do so). I'm so happy they create that advertising for the community yard sale.

This attitude is why our government tries to run our lives, because we have people (who seem smart) oh so willing to let them.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erik,Aug 19 2008, 07:43 AM
Wow. You'll sacrifice freedoms for some more money. Amazing. Just find a neighborhood where you can tell people are taking care of their properties. Why live in an HOA to try and assure it (and pay money to do so). I'm so happy they create that advertising for the community yard sale.

This attitude is why our government tries to run our lives, because we have people (who seem smart) oh so willing to let them.
I ain't giving up crap. HOA's tend to be tyrannical and stupid in their decision making. They tend to filled with uppity snobs who then make up rules based on whims. F-that. I'd rather live in a place where people have self respect rather than a prison system.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Geez, this thread has gone way out of control. erik, I agree that the Dallas HOA is way too Nazi-like, and overly restrictive. I'm sure lots of other HOA's are as well. I have no problems w/ mine,and am pretty happy w/ the beautiful rock wall they erected to replace the wood fence in my back yard.

And yes, I have a substantial investment in my house, and I'd like to preserve it's value...even if it means I have to pay $50/mo. to park my RV down the road. I've carefully reviewed deed restrictions before every home purchase, and have not been surprised by any of them. I've parked a trailer in my driveway until I was told I couldn't, and while a PITA to move it, I knew I was in the wrong.

If you want to park rusted out pickups in your yard, paint your house pink, and let weeds grow 2 ft. tall, that's fine, but I don't want you as my neighbor.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM

This case is the extreme obviously -- but it's a mentality that many seem to have and proof by some responses here.

What is so ugly about a vehicle in a driveway? Isn't that what the driveway is for?

My neighbours have no room for cars in their garage because it is FULL with toys for their kids. So their 2 cars sit in the driveway big deal. Perhaps their house now has less curb appeal. But does that make my house have less curb appeal? Nope.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 AM

I got a 3 car garage to hold all my cars and bikes, w/ rom to spare for future kid's toys. Only the Ridgeline is parked in the driveway!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 19 2008, 08:26 AM
Geez, this thread has gone way out of control. erik, I agree that the Dallas HOA is way too Nazi-like, and overly restrictive. I'm sure lots of other HOA's are as well. I have no problems w/ mine,and am pretty happy w/ the beautiful rock wall they erected to replace the wood fence in my back yard.

And yes, I have a substantial investment in my house, and I'd like to preserve it's value...even if it means I have to pay $50/mo. to park my RV down the road. I've carefully reviewed deed restrictions before every home purchase, and have not been surprised by any of them. I've parked a trailer in my driveway until I was told I couldn't, and while a PITA to move it, I knew I was in the wrong.

If you want to park rusted out pickups in your yard, paint your house pink, and let weeds grow 2 ft. tall, that's fine, but I don't want you as my neighbor.
I think your assumptions are also out of wack. You assume that if there is no HOA that the property will eventually go into disrepair because without someone telling them how to take care of their property, they will just let it go to S@#t.

That just isn't so. There are several neighbourhoods where people take pride in their property without the need for an HOA to tell them.

Further, although overly simplistic, it has been my experience with every HOA i have been associated with, that they are totally unreasonable about way to many things. I had an HOA call me on the color of flowers I had planted at a rental home I own. Seriously? the color of flowers? I had another HOA send me a letter telling me that my window blinds weren't approved and i would have to replace them. (on another rental property)...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM

I'm copying this from another forum as I agree with it 100%

They (HOA) dictate everything from the colour of your house, the type of grass, trees, shrubs and flowers allowed (if any), driveway type, what type of vehicles are permitted and where they are to be kept. To what end? Resale values? WTF! Row after row of identical tan houses, cement driveways, St Augustine grass, no trees and no signs of life outside of the morning and evening commute. Christ, the Army allows more individualism and creativity than these folks.

Whatever happened to the spirit of American individualism?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by wing,Aug 19 2008, 06:21 AM
Housing market in Ottawa is retarded -- you pay big $ for something even if it is crap haha.

I live in an "upscale" neighbourhood -- houses are in the $400-$500k range everyone cut their grass and makes things look pretty. But I still park my car hauler and truck in my driveway (it's my driveway I'll do as I please) and 2 or 3 of my neighbours park 20-30 ft campers all summer in theirs.

But my comment was in general -- people these days are more concerned about what others will think of them rather than just enjoying life. This is why everyone has luxury cars and foreclosures on their homes.
Upscale is 400-500k? Holy crap, I need to move to Ottawa! Bay Area ftl on home prices. (A million plus will get you into 'nice' areas, while upscale is closer to 1.5 million +)
Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by erik,Aug 19 2008, 07:40 AM
This topic is way off track. The guy is parking a pickup truck in his driveway. Not a boat, not a RV, or a project car. It's an fing truck. And the reason he can't park it there is because of a badge. That's fing stupid. And if you don't think so, there is something wrong with you. I'm a fiscal conservative and usually give 2 shits about anything social (I don't need big brother, thanks), but if someone showed me a fine due to the badge on my vehicle, I'd laugh at them. We'd be in court before any money was paid.

It would be slightly different if the bylaw said no pickups at all. This one doesn't, and if they push it, it'll never hold up in court.
If they did push it, it would hold up in court. The homeowner was given a copy of the HOA code before the final purchase of the house was made, and was expected to familiarize himself with the rules. He failed to do so, and would therefor be at fault.

P.S. (I personally say let the F150 stay, but saying it would not hold up in court is untrue)
Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by wing,Aug 19 2008, 08:47 AM
This case is the extreme obviously -- but it's a mentality that many seem to have and proof by some responses here.

What is so ugly about a vehicle in a driveway? Isn't that what the driveway is for?

My neighbours have no room for cars in their garage because it is FULL with toys for their kids. So their 2 cars sit in the driveway big deal. Perhaps their house now has less curb appeal. But does that make my house have less curb appeal? Nope.
Your curb appeal does not go down, but the median price point for the whole neighborhood goes down, as the home with two cars out front would not sell for as much assuming it did not have two cars out front (depending on cars. If they are not junkers, it's fine).

Quick Reply: How the Ridgeline beats Chevy, Ford, and Dodge!