Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How reliable are BMW motorcycles?

Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dangarza,Mar 1 2006, 03:57 PM
Any comments about the VFR?
My buddy had the 04 VFR, it is a decent trade off considering it is much less. But the motor is pretty weak in my opinion. And he ultimately got rid of it because he got tired of always being on the short end of the power stick. It's a very nice sport tourer, it just needs more grunt, although that may be achieved with aftermarket exhaust and power commander.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VFR has really stable handling (I swapped rides with my friend a couple of times) but the ergo's are on the sporty side (part of having excellent cornering clearance). I'd have to buy Helibar risers or Convertibars if I owned it. The engine needs to be kept on boil and I'm not convinced the VTEC implementation is good. But you won't notice it if you keep the revs up in corners.

Maybe this is also an indicator but my VFR friend is selling it and keeping his ST1300. I'm surprised but he says the ST is competent enough in twisties to satisfy his corner carving needs.

Another guy at work has a ZX-9R and I've heard that is the most user friendly real-sport bike. Too hardcore for me but we've got another friend who can do multi-day rides on his Duc 998R or MV F4i ! So the need for a chiropractor after a ride varies...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You sound like you are buying a motorcycle for the same reasons I have since I rarely ever have time to ride or even drive most of my own cars since I run my own biz and work too during the day.

Just took delivery of my 2nd bike recently - a yellow black BMW K1200s and that is one refined and awesome ride. You can no longer say european sport touring bikes are underpowered as this thing has as much power as my 2004 R1 however it does it with so much less strain on my back.

My background in motorcycles including owning back at Purdue (Yamaha FZR600, Honda CBR F2, 600 F3, Honda CBR954RR, 99 R1, 2000 RC51, and finally my 04 Shift Red R1 and the BMW K1200S)

I'm not a track guy nor do I do wheels/stunts. Mainly just use it to commute about 15-20 miles back and forth from work. CA is a year round biking state so it's awesome here. The R1 looks great, easily modded as mine is and super reliable. My g/f loves to ride with me and she likes the sound of the exhaust, etc.

However on days that we want to head to San Francisco (40 mile drive) to do some shopping, the R1 just won't work unless we want to carry heavy backpacks, etc.

The BMW is perfect since it has hard carrying cases, super comfortable ride, electronic suspension, heated grips and even when pushed to redline is super smooth due to the shaft drive. How can you argue with that - only downfall is purchase price (about $16k) and maintenance costs.

Like the other guy mentioned don't mod your BMW bike since the dealers do NOT like any DIY stuff. But that's what I have my R1 for so it's a good blend of both worlds.

Just an FYI but an R1 oil change at the dealer is roughly $75 including parts or $35 if you do it yourself. BMW in comparison can't really be done by yourself and costs about $150.

Hope this helps,
rick
Old 03-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Penforhire, BDS2K, Rick: Thanks so much for the insights. This type of info is what truly helps one make a rational decision. The reviews in magazines are mostly praise of one sort of another with limited practical commentary, such as the $150 oil changes for the Beemer
On the other hand, researching, reading and learning about the different options out there is fun and I really look forward to the time that I make my final decision, as nothing beats getting out on the road on one of these beauties. The more you know about them, the more enjoybale the ride (it seems).
I envy you Cali guys. Laredo is bone dry, pancake flat, little vegetation but on the weekends I commute (by car) to Monterrey, Mexico, which is where I do my riding. (mountains, vegetation and semi-decent roads).
Thanks everyone!
Daniel