Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How reliable are BMW motorcycles?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jah,Feb 27 2006, 07:40 PM
otherwise they are expnsive odd. 4example: the 650 has anit lock brakes?

the japa bikes set the standard performance, reliability, cost...
The 650 can be bought with ABS. All BMWs can be bought with ABS, while the same thing can not be said for all japanese bikes. That was my point earlier - if you want a bike that does everything - BMW is the ticket in my opinion.
I am not sure why you say they are odd - in my view they are better looking then most Japanese bikes. Different in a good way. And expensive, definitely. They have this "industrial design" kind of look to them.

I would not make the broad statement that Japanese bikes set the standard for performance... I would argue that Ducati does - they certainly win a lot of races.

I am not knocking Japanese bikes at all - I've had a few of them. Some were reliable, some not. My fist bike I bought was a Suzuki 650 - you know what happened? After a month the engine seals went, started leaking oil in the middle of a long trip - I was in the middle of nowhere - I was lucky to make it home.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One could argue that the Japanese have plenty of winning designs. The racing-twins market is a peculiar one IMO but even there there are excellent Japanese examples (e.g. Honda SuperHawk). You could also change his wording slightly, to "performance for the dollar," and he'd be even more correct.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
jah

i still would buy that bmw650 single, because there seems to be no bike with this same function. it would be good to fly into the UK - heathrow say, and rent a 650 for a vacation. go everywhere on the island and into europe.

i try to stay away from bikes that are exclusive, would not even think of owning a ducati sportbike for example. i dont have the money or the bandwidth or need to get into that suituation. i have one bike currently: a suzuki gsxr, its the current technology. it looks well used but i keep up on the maintance. i have no fear riding it to work, taking it to the track or stuning it at the local proving grounds. i have taken it on some long rides. i have fallen off the bike every way possible and think as sportbike go i have gotten a lot of use out of it.

all bikes are extreemly reliable, if you want to ride with a friend in his club i bet you can use anything and enjoy.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Well, there are plenty of current dual-sport 650 single choices (not to mention older models like the NX650 or XT600) -- KLR650, DR650, or 650 Pegaso. But I think ABS is only available in the BMW.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 AM

A friend used to be a mechanic at a BMW moto dealer, and he complained about their reliability (mostly electical IIRC). They are probably the most durable motorcycle, though, and will easily last well into six figure mileage.

Valve adjustments are also supposed to be very easy.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Welshman,Feb 27 2006, 07:48 AM
Which Beemer are you thinking of. I bought a K1200S just before Christmas and I'm well pleased with it.
Either a K or an R 1200 S is what I'm thinking of. The Suzuki GSX R 1000 is the other option I am seriously considering, it's a lot of bike for the money, even if the BMW guys will
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM

In my opinion BMW's are not as reliable as Japanese bikes. I have had Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi, and all have been more reliable than my BMW. Having said that I would give up all the bikes I've owned to just have my Beemer.

They are not that bad, I actually (knock on wood) have yet to have an out of warranty problem. Also my Beemer takes way more of a beating than any of the Japanese bikes I've owned. The thing is an absolute TANK!!!! And has saved my life a few times. I have over 70,000 miles in just under 3 years on it (03 K1200GT).
Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by BDS2K,Feb 28 2006, 01:38 PM
In my opinion BMW's are not as reliable as Japanese bikes. I have had Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi, and all have been more reliable than my BMW. Having said that I would give up all the bikes I've owned to just have my Beemer.
Can you expand a little on that last point? Evidently in your case reliability is taking a back seat, but my question is to what? Maneuverability? Looks? Torque?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM

I suppose it really depends on what your use will be. I broke down and ponied up for the BMW because I commute 160 miles a day, and had used different bikes to try and make my commute tolerable. My sport bikes were not comfortable enough, but were so maneuverable and narrow that getting through traffic was easy. I tried a cruiser which was more comfortable, but too large and cumbersome and had NO cold weather protection during winter.

I was really frustrated in not being able to come up with a reasonable solution, so I finally convinced myself (and the wife) to bite the bullet on the $20K+ sticker price and buy the Beemer. I started wanting the R1150RT, but after riding it I was not happy with the feel of the Boxer Twin motor (too under powered and tin can feeling). I fell in love with the motor and ride of the K1200RS, and right about that time they produced the GT which became the logical choice.

My criteria was comfort (including winter coverage as far as wind deflection and HEAT!), a motor that was smooth and powerful and it would have to still be able to go blast a canyon on weekends since it would be my only bike due to lofty price.

I have put alot of money into it since I bought it. I have a full Ohlins suspension, full Remus exhaust + performance chip and numerous little thing that add up. But I now have a very good handling commuter that has taken several hits from cars that is much more fun to ride than I ever anticipated, and has solved my commute issues.

I have told many buddies and riders that the BMW was my least exciting purchase as far as motorcycles go, because of the price and the fact that I bought it more out of need than desire, yet it has more lasting appeal than ANY bike I have owned. It is clearly my best 2 wheel purchase. To qualify myself I have owned a 99 Kawi ZX9R, 02 Honda 954RR, 03 Yamaha Midnight Star and I currently own an 04 KTM 525 EXC and an 02 Yamaha R1 along with the K1200GT.

Sorry it was so long winded, but I hope this helps. PM me if I can answer more specific questions
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BDS2K,Feb 28 2006, 02:57 PM
because I commute 160 miles a day, and had used different bikes to try and make my commute tolerable.
That is one long commute!
Thanks for your reply. Even though I have owned motorcycles for nearly a decade, I don't have that much free time for riding.
My intentions would be to ride it mostly on weekends, 60-100 mile stints with some easy twisties. I did not mention above, but I was also considering the Honda Interceptor, as I fantasize longer rides in the near future Any comments about the VFR?

Quick Reply: How reliable are BMW motorcycles?