Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How many times have you laid it down?

Old 10-21-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can add me to the list now.

Big highside coming out of MG corner at Philip Island at a track day yesterday on my ZX6RR track bike.
I was knocked out briefly but otherwise just pretty sore and bruised. Can't say enough for a good helmet and safety gear. I just picked up a back protector the day before so it's already saved me some pain.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 AM

Downtown San Jose, taking a left turn and a motorized scooter flew through the crosswalk. I went down to avoid his sorry a$$. He got away and I had to pay for the damages. Luckily I had sliders so damage was minimal, around $500.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:11 PM

1. Have you laid ur bike down yet?
2. If so, why/how??
3. Yrs. Riding Experience.
1. yes, laid it down once and got into one accident.

2a. i was traveling on a slightly wet surface and i tried to power through a turn but the back tire came out a little too far and low-sided.

2b. i was traveling about 40mph when a car pulled out of a parking lot trying to make a left turn in front of me but he stopped in the middle of the road(perpendicular to me) and i couldn't stop in time. can you say ouch. went through about 6 month of rehab, this was back in 1999 and i still haven't fully recovered from it.

3. i've been riding since i was 11. i'm 24 now.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned bikes for the last five years, have been riding since I was about 16 (anytime I got the chance anyway). I crashed my R6 in the summer of 03. I was riding with a large group on a sunny sunday afternoon on the backroads between cullman and birmingham AL. There was this one real bad off camber turn that the leader forgot to tell us about and I went into it waaaay to fast. After almost running into my friend just in front of me I lost control and ended up running off the road. I was thrown through the air a distance of about 40ft. and landed in the middle of a field. the bike flipped end over end into a ditch. I actually remember seeing bike flipping while I was upside down in the air. I went right between two sign poles. I was very lucky that I did not get seriously hurt. I walked away with only a few bruises. the bike had a few scratched a bent sub frame. Now I could not figure out how I lost control until the guy who was behind me let me know that I was on my brakes so hard that my back wheel was off the ground. After I fixed my bike and had gotten my nerve back up to hit the twisty roads I kinda felt relieved because I had always heard about the " two kinds of riders" as mentioned above.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Have you laid ur bike down yet?
once
2. If so, why/how??
I T-boned a cager a month ago from today. The lady I hit ran a stop sign.
3. Yrs. Riding Experience.
1 year
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyGirl,Oct 14 2004, 06:44 PM
I mean, how many 60 year old chicks do you want to see riding on a crotch rocket?! LOL

So now then......am I crazy?!
Surprisingly enough, I know quite a few.

As for accidents, I have had at least 20 in my 32 year street riding career. Suprisingly enough I have had only one fall on the track during all this time.

The vast majority of accidents were in my first years of riding and range from minor scratches to broken bones. I have had only 3 incidents in the last 25 years, once being hit in the rear (on a trail bike) by a van at high speed when I was stopped, once when I flipped my Ducati after hanging up the pipes on my favourite stretch of very twisty riding road (I had been riding around the same corner - stopping and returning - all afternoon and kept taking the corner harder till I simply ran out of ground clearance), and finally when I "kicked" a termite mound at low speed (5mph) on my Bandit B12 and slid the front end out on gravel.

My injuries include a broken tibia, broken toe and lots of skin from my hips. The worst accidents were those when I was definitely under the influence and frankly speaking should not have been on the road.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Dec 2 2004, 10:54 PM
The worst accidents were those when I was definitely under the influence and frankly speaking should not have been on the road.

but you knew that.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM

Of course I knew that - do you want honesty or would you rather I pretended it wasn't true?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Dec 4 2004, 03:25 PM
Of course I knew that - do you want honesty or would you rather I pretended it wasn't true?
you're Australian, it's understandable.

(just tryin' to throw a little levity into the conversation guys. I'm sure kekoa didn't mean any offense, and clearly driving under influence is a in general. but you admitted to it openly, so clearly you recognise and probably already learned your lesson and was simply admitting something you've learned for the benefit of others. )

(how's that for diplomacy? can I workin the UN yet? )

(I don't even ride bikes. wtf am I doing in this forum?? oh yeah, it's 5:30 am and I'm bored at work, that's what
Old 12-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tritium_pie,Dec 5 2004, 05:30 AM

(just tryin' to throw a little levity into the conversation guys. I'm sure kekoa didn't mean any offense, and clearly driving under influence is a in general.
Werd.

No offense turkey

Quick Reply: How many times have you laid it down?