Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How many times have you laid it down?

Old 10-10-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ if rainey & doohan say the same thing, I call on the flag
Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Deeguy,Oct 10 2004, 10:30 PM
^ if rainey & doohan say the same thing, I call on the flag
I doubt they meant on the street.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:00 PM
dut

- im posting late... one month later, here is my response:

- totalled that ^... then got a new cbr1000, then 9 days later that shit got jacked in front of my eyes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:28 PM

I don't have a bike or License yet. But my dad has always owned Sport Bikes. I've riding everything from Beat up 400's from the 80's to Brand New Nina 1100's.

A month or so ago I took my dad's old Yamaha FZR 600 for a ride. I decided to go to this Twisty Road where I always take my S2000. Let's just say I'm not as good with bikes as I am with my S2000.

I hit a 15 mph turn at about 25-30 mph. Threw the bike down as far as I could, nearly had one knee scraping the ground, all was good at that point but the corner just kept turning and turning until I eventually ran out of road. I had the bike fully leaned as afar as it could go than BAM. My front wheel picked up a little gravel from the edge of the road and I low-sided laying the bike down flat on it's left side sending me and the bike sliding threw the dirt and nearly off a cliff.
I jumped up in a panic, picked the bike and sand/dirt just started pouring out of the fairings. I didn
Old 10-14-2004, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=S2-Raw,Oct 13 2004, 07:28 PM] Here are pics of where I was riding. It
Old 10-14-2004, 08:36 AM

/\/\
I was pretty much in the exact same boat as you. As a kid, I always wanted a dirt bike. I'd have my parents take me to the bike shop every weekend just to look at them. Unfortunately, my Mom never let me get a bike. A few years ago, I bought my own dirt bike. I actually had two of them. I just found it boreing and a huge hassle to get the bike to areas where you could actually ride.

I just picked up a CBR F4I a week ago. I did all my research too. Asking people whether they've crashed or not. Yes, almost all my friends have crashed at one time or another, but they all have pretty much the same thing in common. They were trying to do crazy shit. Wheelies, drag knee, and ride outside of their capabilities.

One thing I def. recommend is the MSF course. They will pretty much take any fear or apprehensions you have out of riding and show you how to prevent any mishaps. If an accident is going to happen...its going to happen regardless, but you can do a lot to stay out of such situations.

IMO, take the MSF course and then decide on whether you want to get a bike or not.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:51 AM

Glad you got one Kekoa. Remember: full gear always!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:22 PM

I doubt they meant on the street.
Your right, but isn't riding fast where ever you are the same? except for the severity of consequence of course. Eventually mistakes happen and sadly many times its not up to you; riding fast or not (i.e. going head on with a car that is in your lane around a blind curve). The point is, years of experience is irrelevant when it comes to crashing, there are far greater forces out there that will get in your way, its all luck of the draw really. As speed increases, surely the risk does as well, but riding within your limits surely does not promise an incident free return either.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:40 PM

Just bought a new Harley in March of this year. Never been on a bike before. It took me a little over a month to lay it down. I was lucky, i was only going about 15mph when it went down. I took a corner a little wide do to a truck pulling out and my back tire hit some loose rocks. It kicked out before I even knew what happened. scared the sh!t out of me but I picked it up and rode home
phil
Old 10-19-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deeguy,Oct 14 2004, 06:22 PM
Your right, but isn't riding fast where ever you are the same? except for the severity of consequence of course. Eventually mistakes happen and sadly many times its not up to you; riding fast or not (i.e. going head on with a car that is in your lane around a blind curve). The point is, years of experience is irrelevant when it comes to crashing, there are far greater forces out there that will get in your way, its all luck of the draw really. As speed increases, surely the risk does as well, but riding within your limits surely does not promise an incident free return either.
No, riding fast on the street is not the same as riding fast on the track. If you're riding fast on the street you're at maybe 8 10ths? Riding on the track, especially in a race, you would be riding at 10 10ths, trying to tip-toe the line between maximum speed and crashing. I don't know about you, but I don't do that on the street.

As for your point about risk increasing as speed increases, I agree 100%. I also agree with your statement that riding within your limits does not promise an incident free return, hence my reference to "luck" in my original post. My point was that it is most definitely not "inevitable" that you will crash.

Quick Reply: How many times have you laid it down?