Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How many months/years of gross income?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jan 16 2008, 12:29 PM
That really isn't a big deal at all, in fact everyone should have some kind of hobby.
Marriage sounds good to me, just finding one around here that is willing to work for what she wants, instead of placing most if not all the financial burden on her husband is the tricky part (and I'm not talking about when someone is sick or having children). Lots of trophy wives/gold diggers around here with expensive habits (shopping, etc) that they really can't pay for themselves.
Welcome to Dallas.

I was going to post the same type of comment, but was too lazy to type it up.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Jan 16 2008, 12:54 PM] The trick with marriage is that my wife and I spend money in two very different ways.

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jan 16 2008, 10:29 AM
That really isn't a big deal at all, in fact everyone should have some kind of hobby.
Marriage sounds good to me, just finding one around here that is willing to work for what she wants, instead of placing most if not all the financial burden on her husband is the tricky part (and I'm not talking about when someone is sick or having children). Lots of trophy wives/gold diggers around here with expensive habits (shopping, etc) that they really can't pay for themselves.
Now, I will completely agree with that. There are a lot of gold diggers around the Metroplex, I just made sure I didn't marry one. My wife is actually very conscientious about spending money. She hardly buys any clothes or jewelry or actually anything that we don't need. I actually bought her a large gift certificate to a popular mall here in Dallas for Christmas, so she would go out and buy some more clothes. She actually needs some!

My ex-girlfriend had a large credit card debt because she bought clothes and furniture she couldn't afford. That didn't sit well with me and that's one of the many reasons we never got married. My wife is very good about money and that is a blessing. Definitely marry a girl who understands the value of a dollar!
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jan 16 2008, 10:54 AM
The trick with marriage is that my wife and I spend money in two very different ways. She comes home once a week or so with $50-150 worth of clothes, nick-knacks, having had her nails done, whatever. I'll spend $0 for 6 months and then go drop $1200 on a computer or mountaing bike or something. She's ticked at me because I just spent all this money, but I'm ticked at her because she spends money every week. Right now I'm trying to live like a pauper and sock away money for a DD (some $4k car I'll pay cash for) and she's annoyed because "we don't need 3 cars, that's ridiculous" but I argue I need two cars more than she needs 12 winter jackets or 50 pairs of shoes.

Eventually, you just have to figure that out and understand each other's quirks and goals; it also helps if you both have money coming in so one person isn't supporting the other's habits.

The other trap to avoid is saying "oh, well, you are going to spend $200 on ________...we can't afford that, but if you get to spend $200, so do I!" If you can't afford to spend $200, you certainly can't afford $400, so why spend 2x as much so both people are "even?" I've played this game before, and I joke they are going to write on my grave "He was broke, but he was even."
My wife and I have similar spending patterns.

A number of years ago we divided our money into three budgets. Combined money for spending together, then two equal allowances... one for her and one for me.

That way I know it's fair. She can buy whatever $20 lotions she wants. As long as she stays within her budget that's fine. And I don't have to explain why I have three sets of S2000 wheels and tires....
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always thought i'd marry a teacher or someone who wouldnt work. (i think thats because my mother never had to work, so i figured that's how it's supposed to go)

however, i married a girl in medical school. we're living on my income, and when she starts her residency, we'll continue to live on my income, with possible exception given to vacations. that way, we can start paying off the school debt.

and i bought my car, 60% of my gross at ~$30k, but before i met her i was going to go to seattle, take a higher paying job, buy a condo/house as an investment more than a residence, and pick up a used maserati for $45k. i didnt need to spend as much as i did at $30k, and i probably wouldnt do it in retrospect, but like a lot of others here, i'd been driving $1000 crashers for the last 5-10 years and wanted to reward myself for graduating and getting my ME degree.

and i love my job, and i love my life with my new bride. i know this little bit has been a string of poor financial decisions by the finance textbook definitions, but given the long term circumstances, i think the old adage of 'live below your means' is what we're setting ourselves up to do well, so i don't really care at all.

and being married and broke is a lot better than being single and loaded, IMO.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Jan 16 2008, 03:07 PM
and being married and broke is a lot better than being single and loaded, IMO.
Being married and broke sucks, although less than being single and broke.

We aren't really broke, but we are saving for a house, so it seems that way....
Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vader, sounds like you have a roommate, not a wife.

How do you handle retirement savings?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ace123

I married a doctor too.

Gold digging men FTW!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Jan 16 2008, 12:23 PM

Seems strange to me, but it works for you.

My wife and I buy whatever we want. We are both fairly conservative, so neither is going to overspend.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Jan 16 2008, 02:23 PM

I put away a crap load with the desired goal of age 55. I have a lot put away for a guy my age because I make it a priority. She has more put away than I do and saves more because of the income difference. It is not a problem, but I am lucky that she likes to save and her income lets her do a lot of it even on top of the expensive fashion purchases. It helps that she likes cheap cars. She milked a corolla for ten years and has "upgraded" to a mazda 3.

She saw an episode of Top Gear where they profiled an S class Benz with massage seat. She was intrigued. I told her she should not watch Top Gear anymore.

It is strange to think about but if I made this kind of money when I was 23 I would have a new vette and maybe a G37 awd for winter but live in a crappy apartment and save nothing. Now I saw a red C6 vert roll by me on the street in Hawaii and I said, "Wow. Thats a beautiful car." But I don't go home and start thinking about how I can rearrange my life to do anything to have one like I would have then.

The promise of spending my winters on a beach, my summers doing whatever I feel like on that particular day, and lots of travel are worth the delayed gratification. Even if it is still 17-18 years away. I can have the vette and the nissan and work and extra 8 years maybe. Eh, no deal. I guess I am an old fart. But I knew that when I bought the Subaru station wagon.

Quick Reply: How many months/years of gross income?