Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

how to make a Scion FRS fast?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by cbehney' timestamp='1342147874' post='21855830
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1342132843' post='21855313']
[quote name='rosario717' timestamp='1342129300' post='21855186']
I say have someone steal one and have the cops waiting to pursue! thats the fastest this scions going to go!
Why would I steal a car if the parts don't bolt into a Civic?

[/quote]

It was a trick question, I might need parts to keep my bitch'n Camaro running
[/quote]

If you stopped taking the skinheads bowling every week you wouldn't need to steal cars to pay for gas.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
A slow car to me is one that is noticeably bogged down by running the AC. Sadly the S2000 falls into this category and the FR-S even more so. When I feel like driving around in a spirited manner I find it quite annoying to be forced to floor the throttle just to scoot quickly through an intersection. Or even worse, think twice about pulling out onto a road ahead of another car b/c you know you're running the air conditioning. It's a very frustrating feeling.
Most cars today have an electric clutch that decouples the A/C compressor under hard acceleration for that very reason. Ditto, most factory supercharged cars use a clutch to disengage when boost isn't needed or cooling limits are exceeded. Engineers aren't completely stupid. Ever feel the change in air temp after several seconds of hard acceleration?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slow is relative and that's that. It all depends on what you are used to. Slow car can still be a ton of fun, the s2000 is a slow car IMO but I love it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM

How do you make a Subyota go fast: who on this hallowed S2000 forum gives a rats behind???? I think the best comment was to drop it out of a plane!

Really are going to be talking about the Boss 302 Mustangs next. When you have these urges go someplace else, please.

Second yes slow cars do give you drama and drama in fun because it is related to danger! What I call it is a Fun Factor. In a slower car that handles just okay, not good, you can have all kind of fun pushing the car to the edge, and screaming around corners and hanging the ass end out, ie you might be doing 40 mph. In a fast, well handling car, you have to take the same corner at 80, the car can do it but will you miss the kid chasing the ball around the corner at that speed. Even darting in traffic in a slow car can be fun because it is all about timing! I had an old Rabbit GTI and it was a ball to drive but I never thought is fast or handled exceptional. The S2000 is perfect because it is alittle of both, it not slow and handles really well and it is just easy to have fun with at any speed. Totally understand the Corvette story, you have to be doing a buck 10 before the fun even starts! So the s2000 is a 10, a Miata a 9, the vette a 3 on the DaGou(pronounced DAH GO)Fun Factor Scale, the FFS for short.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DaGou
How do you make a Subyota go fast: who on this hallowed S2000 forum gives a rats behind???? I think the best comment was to drop it out of a plane!

Really are going to be talking about the Boss 302 Mustangs next. When you have these urges go someplace else, please.

Second yes slow cars do give you drama and drama in fun because it is related to danger! What I call it is a Fun Factor. In a slower car that handles just okay, not good, you can have all kind of fun pushing the car to the edge, and screaming around corners and hanging the ass end out, ie you might be doing 40 mph. In a fast, well handling car, you have to take the same corner at 80, the car can do it but will you miss the kid chasing the ball around the corner at that speed. Even darting in traffic in a slow car can be fun because it is all about timing! I had an old Rabbit GTI and it was a ball to drive but I never thought is fast or handled exceptional. The S2000 is perfect because it is alittle of both, it not slow and handles really well and it is just easy to have fun with at any speed. Totally understand the Corvette story, you have to be doing a buck 10 before the fun even starts! So the s2000 is a 10, a Miata a 9, the vette a 3 on the DaGou(pronounced DAH GO)Fun Factor Scale, the FFS for short.
Even if we do, this is the board to do it in. It's called Car Talk and in case you didn't notice, it's description clearly lists: Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:59 PM

my bad!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Even if we do, this is the board to do it in. It's called Car Talk and in case you didn't notice, it's description clearly lists: Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

Car Talk is for people that love all cars, not just Hondas.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1342213703' post='21857882

Car Talk is for people that love all cars, not just Hondas.
I haven't seen the SN around this board often, so maybe just a drive by?

And as we found out in the Official thread, this new motor from Subaru with the Toyota DI while being N/A is actually responding well to mods. The dyno sheets of the prototype exhaust pieces that ian02s2k posted show that just freeing up the breathing of the motor is yielding some quite impressive gains. Probably the largest I have seen coming out of an N/A motor.

So to answer the thread question, the way to make the FRS fast is to free up the air flow with some aftermarket exhaust pieces.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM

I am not impressed with the FRS myself but there is plenty of power to be made for those that need it. Over 40hp can be made with simple boltons and tuning at this point. A reflash option is hitting the market soon with many in testing. And I know there is a lot more. It's still not a convertible or double wishbone but by the end of the year you'll be able to bolt on another 200hp for 7~8k There are already kits up into the the 300's.

The cool thing about the frs is that it's going to bring new kinds of parts to the subie market, and though I don't want to divulge what exactly. People are getting creative with this one. Don't be surprised if you see some cars making nearly 400hp all motor soon

Quick Reply: how to make a Scion FRS fast?