Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How hard are Cadillacs (04+ CTS') on the pocketbooks

Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How hard are Cadillacs (04+ CTS') on the pocketbooks

Just so we clear something up, I'm not in OMG I want to buy a cadillac territory. I'm just inquiring.

I'm looking for a second car, something much easier on my back; to commute in. I've noticed mid 2000's CTS's going for, well, cheap in the bay area.

So I was just curious because I'm 100% ignorant on the brand; how well do caddies hold up? How expensive are they on the repair spectrum and would there be a lot of them? Keep in mind most of these examples are 75K plus on the odometer.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents went through a phase of Caddys around that time. They had a DTS, an SRX, and then an Escalade EXT. As far as I know they has a lot of problems with the DTS and SRX. Electrical if I remember correctly. I don't recall any issue with the EXT probably because it was a Chevy Avalanche underneath. It actually caused them to quit the brand (my dad was a pretty big Chevy guy for a while) Now they drive Dodges.

Honestly anytime a used car doesn't hold its value I figure its due to reliability/cost to own.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember the Consumer Reports listing Cadillacs as being rated quite poorly. I cant say for sure since I never really pay attention to that brand, but I surely would rather own a Japanese brand.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Honestly anytime a used car doesn't hold its value I figure its due to reliability/cost to own.
In general, I agree. I guess I was just trying to figure out if 100K examples at ~$8k, would turn into a money dump, or a decent pickup. (Generally speaking)

Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
I seem to remember the Consumer Reports listing Cadillacs as being rated quite poorly. I cant say for sure since I never really pay attention to that brand, but I surely would rather own a Japanese brand.
I too would rather own a 'Japanese brand' however, Mid 2000's Lexus', Acuras, and Infiniti's are boring in about every aspect imaginable, and hold value too well too boot. Meaning I have to spend more money, on something that I find more repulsive. No thanks.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
Though because Cadillac is a GM brand and I expect poor ratings from Consumer Reports on their cars, I don't trust their ratings of cars. Isn't their specialty. If Cadillac made a TV, or a vacuum, then I would easily find value in the Consumer Reports ratings of their products...
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so spend more money on something you find less repulsive...

met a guy at a car meet last night in jacksonville florida.. he was driving a very nice aston martin.. said he paid like 270,000 for it.. I thought.. wow... he could do that.. I couldn't.. I couldn't even if I could afford to.. I could think of so many other uses and drive my s2000.. the caddies a money pit.. the older boring Japanese cars you listed hold value cause they apparently work.. best of luck.. what are your needs.. the room for passengers, the comfort.. how often.. everyday... I've had caddies, my first was a 1955, bought in 1973.. long story, a lot of fun.. college.. (top secret / double classified) had a few older fleetwoods that worked day one, til I traded them in.. had later models, who's electric's have driven me insane.. and still bought another.. up til 2006.. then I bought a 300 Chrysler... it sucked worse.... so...now I have one car.. I don't see another one I want drive, even that really nice aston martin... but what are your needs.. that might determine more so what you should consider.. who can say...

ps... if you want a gm product that works inner city, has comfort and is cool to own, go find a Checker...

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
so spend more money on something you find less repulsive...
Well the idea here would be to stay under 10K'ish (if I want to keep the S as a side car; I would want to make this purchase in cash).

Needs good stock seating, and softer suspension, and preferably over 25mpg on the freeway. I would also prefer it to be from this millenia. It doesn't have to be RWD, though, I think that's generally always the preferred option. Also manual is preferred, but this will be primarily a comfy people mover so, auto-tragic could be acceptable (rowing gears in traffic can be a special kind of hell with a bum left knee).

The only Japanese car from this millenia that seems to tick those boxes, that interests me, is the is300. But I would prefer newer than 01/02/03.

Perhaps I'm simply asking for too much and the reason mid 2000 CTS' depreciate so much is for obvious reasons.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe one of the other guys in the cali forum might have or know an auto auction where you can get a better pricing / less selection / might be worth looking into.. for a dd and to keep the S.. is300 is a nice car.. don't believe your asking too much and yes you could say the product speaks for itself... isn't that always the case...
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What about a similar era Infiniti? A G sedan or M? A lot of them out there in your price range, might be able to score one without too many miles within budget. RWD plenty of power/comfort. Infinitis don't hold their values as well Acura/Lexus but I would assume with so many VQ engines out there that they aren't too expensive to maintain.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM

I really do NOT like Infiniti's. Would not buy.

Quick Reply: How hard are Cadillacs (04+ CTS') on the pocketbooks