Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How good (or bad) do RWD cars handle in the snow?

Old 11-14-2004, 07:11 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How good (or bad) do RWD cars handle in the snow?

I'm looking at maybe getting a new car. I usually don't like RWD if it's going to be a 365-day/year car. Sometimes I have to get into work even if it's very treacherous outside.

My point is some cars you can get with either AWD or RWD. However 2 cars in particular new Infiniti M and Lexus GS, both have AWD only available with the V6, not the V8.

So I was wondering how much better will the AWD be in snow/ice conditions?

I'm talking with snow tires. Trac/Stability control ABS etc...

I realise these specific cars aren't out. But what experience can you guys give me with RWD cars like a LS/GS or G35 or 545i (etc.) in the snow?

Old 11-14-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on AWD, but I've never had an issue getting around in snow with any of the RWD cars I've driven. The only issue I've had is ground clearance in snowy conditions and if there's that much snow on the ground, I stay home.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 PM

As an owner of a Nissan 2wd truck for the last 13 years I can tell you that proper tires are the most important factor . I have used various tires and all of them were scary on this vehicle in the snow except for the Bridgestone Blizzak . This tire is simply amazing at its capability for snow/ice in even the worst conditions. Whatever traffic is doing you know with these tires you can go 10 mph faster than everyone else safely and securely because these tires are like snow super glue .
Also these tires let you know the condition of the road . If no traffic is around at around 25 mph nail the brakes and if these tires do not give up the grip then roads are not to bad and if you nail em and they slide just a little then you know roads are very bad.
However if you have some steep hills to tackle then AWD vehicle may be your best bet. Blizzaks and AWD would be a very grippy combination IMO.
While my truck is old and rear wheel drive just adding Blizzak tires feels like you just added Traction Control and Four Wheel Drive all at the same time.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:22 AM

Let's just say, I got home going up a steep hill around my neighborhood in my S with snow proxes when my aunt's Element with all season's couldn't even make it up the hill.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone else? Anyone?

I'm talking about going out with the snow plow trucks on the highway.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about your tires. Drive a RWD with Max performance tires in the snow and you're gonna have issues eventually. Depending on the temp and type of snow, you could have difficulty getting moving in 1/2" of snow, yet with other temps you can move with difficulty through 3-5".

Put dedicated snows, or even aggressive (toward poor weather) all seasons on a RWD, especially one with traction control, but even on say an S2000, and all of a sudden the snow is no problem.

Put max performance summers on an AWD, and it will have very poor snow capabilities, but still better than RWD, anything more weather handy than that and, tire for tire, AWD beats RWD.

Now I live in NYC and commute daily 37 miles in one of two RWD cars (e36 M3 and S2000), with the amount of snow we get (more than VA, but less than say Boston), I've handled it all with RWD only for the last 8 years. But tires are the key here, both front and rear (front for turning/stopping in the snow/ice/sleet and rear for obvious longitudinal traction.

p.s. this wasn't meant as one of those "i drive through the snow cause I'm the shiznitz yo" type posts. I'm just answering the question of weather RWD is capable in the snow - which properly shod, it is.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:37 PM

If you figure that fwd cars were not popular until the late 70's early 80's, and that awd/4wd cars didn't hardly exist before the 90's (trucks did, not cars). How did everyone get to work from 1920-1980? They drove rwd cars!

Snow tires.
Sand bags in the trunk.
And now you've got traction control, which helps a bunch.

I run in Minnesota with a manual 4wd truck that I leave in 2wd for all but 10-20 miles of severe weather driving every winter.

--Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 AM

I have a C32 AMG with summer performance tires..it snowed about six inches...I was a road hazard/speed bump. I now have snow tires on the C and it seems to do well in the snow, but 349 HP plus low traction is always bad. The car will boil the snows if I am not careful. Although its cool to be able to turn the tires over at 30 with an automatic...
Old 11-16-2004, 10:14 AM

Snow tires + traction control = you wouldn't even know it is RWD

Add DSC stability control and you can toss the car around in the corner too