Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How fast is the new Civic Si?

Old 06-16-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I want to sell this Si a few years down the road and returning it to stock would suck. Second, I need this for transportation. Third, why put money into my Civic when I can put it into the S2000. Fourth, the money involved in doing the swap would equal that of a supercharger for the S2000 which would be what I'd like to go for. Ok, basically if you want me to do it, show me the money.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:59 AM

IMO the MY99-00 SI are the ones to get. I LOVED mine and would like to get one again as a daily driver to allow my S to go to the weekend racer transition. Back to subject at hand, the 99-00 performed better out of the box, and IMO has alot more 'soul' to the car. 11:1 compression, 8k RPM RL, lots of aftermarket suport, B16 motors are a great start. But in rebuttle to my own statement, if you drop the RSX-S motor in there, I think you would have a nice (and very quick) HB.

Steve
Old 06-16-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I test drove one a few months ago and was rather disapointed. Maybe my expectations were just too high after owning an S2000, but it didn't strike me as a sporty car. The suspension was very soft and there wasn't a whole lot of power. (Granted, I did have three people in the car at the time.) My feeling is that the Integra GSR I used to own was a much more sport-oriented car. I can't imagine an Si being able to keep up with an S2000, highway or twisties...
Old 06-16-2003, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ccarnel
[B]Was that directed at me?

I guess we're all supposed to sit back and listen to the great wisdom of JoeD and his constant downplay of all that is not Mercedes Benz... because God knows that it is the epitome of what a fine automobile should be <sarcasm>
Old 06-16-2003, 11:50 AM

Yawn, your materialistic criteria of what makes a "quick" car are far from immutable, universal, or even commonplace...

The Civic Si is indeed quick when you consider its target market and how much it costs. It's a great buy for the pocket rocket segment. Same for Lexus, they are unarguably fast cars as far as luxury cars go, and a much smarter buy in every category except bragging to others about your possessions. I've not seen evidence that a hard driven AMG can go more than 50,000 miles without major repairs or an engine rebuild that will cost a fortune. Any recent MB or AMG that is driven hard winds up a rattling wreck after a few years. You can beat the hell out of an LS400/430 or GS and it will never even squeak. So it gets beaten in the quarter mile by some car costing 50% more, B-F-D.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by protokultur
Yawn, your materialistic criteria of what makes a "quick" car are far from immutable, universal, or even commonplace...
Good choice of words, protukultor.

Originally posted by protokultur

The Civic Si is indeed quick when you consider its target market and how much it costs.
Yes, considering the Neon SRT-4 or GTI 1.8T can be had for about a grand or two more, the Civic Si sure is...ummm...quick?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the older Si's especially in that blue color. Very, very nice looking cars.

The new one, on the other hand..............yuck.

And quick is relative. Talk about your quick E55/S600/Lexus/S2000 to John Force, and he will laugh at you. Talk about your quick s2k to someone with a 83 maxima, and he will be in awe. THeres a ladder and a pecking order here, people.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoeD
[B]
Good choice of words, protukultor.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:48 PM

What?! Did my belittling of Lexus hurt your feelings? Grow up.
You actually think my feelings are hurt by what you said

Along with others, I get tired of your drivel about Mercedes Benz. Like I said below, as you are obviously having reading comprehension problems, your belittiling plagues your every post and it is tiresome to read. You've been here for quite some time, maybe it's time you choose a new board to plague.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:06 PM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]I test drove one a few months ago and was rather disapointed.

Quick Reply: How fast is the new Civic Si?