Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How does this scam work?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this scam work?

So I've been trolling around for an Mazdaspeed3, and came across this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1210515359.html

the lowdown: an '03 745il with 14k on the clock for $9k. Supposedly clear title, garaged, all the bells and whistled, blah blah blah.

Edmunds puts the pp at $23k, which seems low when I looked at autotrader, but more realistic.

So what's the scam here? I've already emailed, and will wait to see... any ideas?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by psychophd,Jun 7 2009, 08:55 PM
So I've been trolling around for an Mazdaspeed3, and came across this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1210515359.html

the lowdown: an '03 745il with 14k on the clock for $9k. Supposedly clear title, garaged, all the bells and whistled, blah blah blah.

Edmunds puts the pp at $23k, which seems low when I looked at autotrader, but more realistic.

So what's the scam here? I've already emailed, and will wait to see... any ideas?
it's been removed already..
Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM

link still works for me, but yeah, seems to already be gone. Any idea how that scam works tho? e.g., I need to send cash to have it shipped? Bait and switch?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same scam for the last decade dude

he won't let u see the car, hes overseas or the car is in any state you are not
and you need to pay up front to a "holding" company like ebay and he ships you the car, u like it, they release funds to him but once u put the $ in the escrow/holding company service thing, u won't hear from him ever again
Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM

stageup, you nailed it:

Hello,

My BMW 745Li 2003 Sedan (VIN WBAGN63423DR16755) is in great shape, no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. Hasn't been involved in any accident. It was always garaged and never kept outside. I`m a single mother with 2 children because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this car. I really don`t need it and have bad memories about it and that`s why I'm selling it so cheap. The car has a clear title, no liens. Transmission is Automatic and has 14,000 miles. The vehicle is already at a shipping company in Miami, Florida ready for shipping. All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and bill of sale will be provided along with the car. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. The total price is $8,000 including shipping and handling. I'm very busy with my job and I'm often out of town so I can't meet in person with you and this is the reason why I opted to sell my car over the internet. I want to use eBay protection program for our safety and for payment I prefer to use an eBay Safety Purchase Service so that they can act as a 3rd party for the payment. You pay a refundable deposit to one of their agents and after that I send the car to your location. If you accept it they will forward the payment to me. If you reject it, the vehicle will be shipped back on my expense, but I assure you that it won't be the case. According with eBay you have 5 days from the moment you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. You will have 10 days to settle the remaining balance. If you are still interested in buying this car I will need your full name and shipping address so I send them to eBay and open a transaction case for us.

Thank you,
Sandra Clawson
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i always tell them i'm in the city/state they are in, even tho they advertised on the other side of the country, and they say it's @ the shippers wrapped up and you can't see it haha
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A scam...on CL? No, that can't be. You can't scam people on the internet, everything on the internet is true.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 AM

Craigslist is 99% scammers or spammers. I don't waste any time on that site any more.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Here, here dparm. I got screwed on craigs list myself last month (first time I have been screwed online since I was 16 when ebay was just picking up steam. Was alittle too egar and didn't do the research I usually do when buying online and sure enough it came back to bite me in the ass. Once I get screwed I'm down using the site so craigs is bye bye now.

Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

If it's too good to be true...

Quick Reply: How does this scam work?