Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How Did We End Up With a Big Sedan Integra?

Old 12-08-2021, 02:00 PM

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
It will sell because there will be enough insecure people who will buy the cheapest luxury car they can afford. Acura will then say hurrah we did it, and then wonder why they cant sell anything with higher margins.
Kinda like the ES300? Of course they really made a big deal of pointing out how many parts it did not share with a Camry.... because it really was VERY much a Camry in many ways lol. But Lexus buyers did not want to say they owned a Camry but could not afford the higher end Lexus models so they bought the ES300 which really was mostly a dressed up Camry. Granted the Camry was a very good car in many regards, just not exciting at all. But after all that I believe the ES300 was the companies highest selling car for a while, especially outside of the US if I remember correctly. So it worked, but it meant they just sold more of the lower priced model.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:39 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Kinda like the ES300? Of course they really made a big deal of pointing out how many parts it did not share with a Camry.... because it really was VERY much a Camry in many ways lol. But Lexus buyers did not want to say they owned a Camry but could not afford the higher end Lexus models so they bought the ES300 which really was mostly a dressed up Camry. Granted the Camry was a very good car in many regards, just not exciting at all. But after all that I believe the ES300 was the companies highest selling car for a while, especially outside of the US if I remember correctly. So it worked, but it meant they just sold more of the lower priced model.

Its actually based on the Avalon, and made the Avalon the odd duck because they were similar money. And the IS is the entry level. I think Toyota did a better job differentiating the cars, much like the Passat and A4.

So Lexus has the ES and IS as their entry level cars, one is a high dollar Toyota sedan and the other is a Lexus only. Acura has a lightly changed Civic.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:52 PM

Its actually based on the Avalon, and made the Avalon the odd duck because they were similar money. And the IS is the entry level. I think Toyota did a better job differentiating the cars, much like the Passat and A4.

So Lexus has the ES and IS as their entry level cars, one is a high dollar Toyota sedan and the other is a Lexus only. Acura has a lightly changed Civic.
The first 5 generations of the ES500 were built on the Camry platform. The later ones were Avalons.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Die hard Acura customers will buy the Integra rather than going over to a Honda dealer and getting a Civic.
There are die hard Acura customers?

I'm not even trolling, I'm actually serious. I have never met a single one. People certainly buy Audi and even Lexus for the brand name. I guess I've heard people tell me they have "an Acura" when I've asked them about their car but I don't think they're loyal to the brand. It's typically from a vapid decision to buy a "luxury" brand that happened to be in their price range.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It will sell because there will be enough insecure people who will buy the cheapest luxury car they can afford. Acura will then say hurrah we did it, and then wonder why they cant sell anything with higher margins.
My ex wife bought the lowest grade Acura because she didn't want to be seen with a Honda. Ha!
The following 2 users liked this post by rob-2:
TheDonEffect (12-10-2021), zeroptzero (12-09-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 04:23 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub

I'm not even trolling, I'm actually serious. I have never met a single one. People certainly buy Audi and even Lexus for the brand name. I guess I've heard people tell me they have "an Acura" when I've asked them about their car but I don't think they're loyal to the brand. It's typically from a vapid decision to buy a "luxury" brand that happened to be in their price range.
Of course there are die hard Acura customers, I've personally known a few. One is a friend and he has not driven any other brand other than Acura throughout his adult life and since I've known him. Every brand has die hard customers, it isn't that unusual of a concept, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Honda, Harley Davidson, you name it and they have their loyal supporters even if they seem to build crap.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:36 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub

Imo anyone driving an Acura these days is die hard.
The following users liked this post:
Jub (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:15 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Of course there are die hard Acura customers, I've personally known a few. One is a friend and he has not driven any other brand other than Acura throughout his adult life and since I've known him. Every brand has die hard customers, it isn't that unusual of a concept, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Honda, Harley Davidson, you name it and they have their loyal supporters even if they seem to build crap.
I'm just saying, I know of brand loyal customers to all of those brands except Acura. Maybe that's due to my age but the Acura brand is a failure IMO. People are happy to tell you that they own "an Audi" or "a Lexus." Even though I think that's shallow and stupid, people take pride in that. I have not met many that have "an Acura." It does not attain the same status as the other luxury brands.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I think it was the other way around. The Camry was just a slightly de-contented ES. I kid.

But not really.

The ES was built on the Camry platform but Toyota REALLY needed the ES to succeed in order for the Lexus nameplate to succeed at the time so a lot of the Lexus smoothness and build quality was baked into the basic Camry platform. The high end Camry counterparts of that time were so smooth to drive. A 94'ish Camry V6 with a manual used to be high on my list for a daily/highway car.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:58 AM

^ Agree. And to be clear I think the Camry was for the most part an excellent car. Not exciting or sporty, but a solid, reliable car. They had some issue years but overall good. Its kind of funny how attached people are to the brand names. Sorry Lexus people, you own a TOYOTA. Sorry Acura owners, you own a HONDA I have known Toyota owners that debadge their cars and slap Lexus emblems on it. Not sure how it feels to be that shallow and bound to some brand image, but I guess that is their thing! Marketing loves it though, makes it easy to sell virtually the same product with the higher end badge on it for more money.

Quick Reply: How Did We End Up With a Big Sedan Integra?