Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

how did u become a gear head?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I was born.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I've always loved cars, dad was a mechanic and owned a gas station with a garage but I didn't learn a thing car related from him. Cars always fascinated me, I dabbled in it over the years but it wasn't until 8th grade when I was walking home, bored, and saw a grey Z32 that I stopped and stared for a bit. That turned into asking all my brother's car friends what it was, started discussion, eventually internet research, etc. First car I ever researched. Then everything sorta spiraled from there. For me they were always a good distraction, and aside from money requirements of the hobby it was a good one. Because of my limited number of friends that were into cars, I always appreciated running into other car folks and having discussions, I guess this is why I'm not pigeon holed into any one type of car (import, euro, domestic, old, new, etc) as I learned alot of different perspectives over the years.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fokker
I was born.
+1
Old 04-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

I was born into it.

My dad used to build engines and race back in the day, and my grandfather was a mechanic so naturally it was in the family. I was into muscle cars and I wanted a 68/69 Charger until I saw the first Fast and Furious when I was 9, the rest is history.

Funny thing is that's the same year my parents bought a brand new Honda Odyssey in 2001 and I sat in the S2000 that was in the showroom (it was berlina black, I remember it like yesterday) the whole time, I took home all the brochures and books, who new that 10 years later I would own one.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel yel
how did u become a gear head?
I distinctly remember the transition from semi-gearhead to full-on gearhead. College days, enjoyed cars but not too much into it, drove domestics. Really more into my racing bicycles than cars. One day a friend picked me up and said we're going down to the local university (I was was attending a different one); told "hey, let's check out their sports car club". Uh, hey, dude, I drive a NOVA, I don't see this interesting. So, sat through their welcome-new-recruits meeting, and the following Sunday tried my first autocross. I was hooked. Within months, the Nova was gone, replaced by a Rabbit (not much better for crossin') and getting countless mail-order parts catalogs.

This guy cost me countless thousands of dollars due to this affliction -- why is he still my friend 40 years later????? Of course, he left his Opels and Lotuses behind and drive a minivan now.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I was destined to want to work on cars and take interest in them. I used to always help my dad in the garage and we were always a self-sufficient family and did all our own maintenance and repairs. I used to read the old hot rod magazines that my dad had as well. I think the tipping point for me was movies like "Smokey and the Bandit" and "Days of Thunder".

Growing up in the internet age made it easier to access information and also having games like Gran Tourismo likely pushed me to spend my free time in the garage.

Once I started to make real money in my career, it was a lot easier to commit to cars.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the usual hot wheels and model cars but when I was a teenager forced to drive the mom 4 door sedan and once in a while dad's truck was thinking something is not quite right . One day a local used car lot had a blue Datsun 240Z and had left the door unlocked for the evening . Sitting in that car I knew this was it . It was low,sleek,sporty, and looked fast even just sitting in it . This was what cars were all about and to this day I still despise a 4 door car . Always want to drive the latest 2 door fun car to see what kind of thrill it will bring.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

as a kid i always liked ferrari and other supercars.

What really set it off though was when i was about 10 years old. My friends dad was going to give me a ride home. I had been drooling over the 911 turbo in the garage for years and finally got a ride in it. On the way home my friend says "hey dad, go fast". He has happy to oblige and took it up to 100mph. I couldnt believe how fast that car was and was instantly addicted.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

No idea. I have always loved cars. Was likely started by the Dukes of Hazzard and just grew from there.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My parents said I used to race cans of food across the floor by rolling them before I could walk. They had to mark the cans with sharpies so they knew what it was. Otherwise I was into the normal hotwheels, legos, micro machines, model cars, slot cars, dukes of hazzard, blues brothers, cannonball run etc..

My half brother showed up when I was about 12-13 (late 90s) with a super mint 91 CRX Si that had wheels, drop, integra leather seats, neuspeed shock tower bars etc. He took me for a ride and I was instantly hooked on Hondas.. This was around the time tuner mags were popping up and yahoo groups were big so I got into all of that as a kid.

Eventually found Mazda RX-7's and my world was turned upside down. My first cars were 2 87 RX-7 Turbo II's. Since, i've had a few of just about every late 80s turbo japanese car and various hondas.

I didn't think i'd be able to own a S2000 so soon and actually had plans to buy a 3rd gen RX-7 shell before picking mine up. My S2000 was cheap, and it was the right color so I drove about 14 hours round trip to get it and never looked back.