Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How to convince the parents to pull the trigger on an SL55

Old 11-15-2003, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convince the parents to pull the trigger on an SL55

Well my parents have been interested in the SL model for a while. They were gonna get the 500 until I informed them of the all-conquering SL55. So they got on the waiting list about a year ago even though the salesman kept telling us it would be years before we get a build date. So last thursday the salesman calls and says, "I've got good news for your son! Your turn for the SL55 is here!" Problem is my parents don't feel it's the right time to get it... The keep saying they need some sort of story or reason behind the purchase. They're saying that one of the only legitimate stories is if I get into medical school, which is still a few years in the distance. We have to decide this coming up week if we're gonna build it, making the delivery time late January which is around my birthday (what a sweet present that would be ). So I need some help from you guys to come up with some good reasons to convince them to buy the car. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:43 AM

Tell your parents to do what they feel is right to them. If they dont feel like they should buy it, then they shouldnt. It's their money, their decision, and most importantly, they're your parents.

Their opinions > yours on subjects like this. They have the experience in life to make wise decisions.

I'm 19 btw, not some old guy. Just your parents do what they want. A parent will give you a gift as long as they see that their child is growing up as a person. Since to them, that's the greatest gift that they can get.

I dont know you or your family so I cant give a real decision. But honestly, having a SL55 now most probably isnt the right time. Probably get you into more trouble in life. It also will help you have to work less to take a chic out . But then again, do you just want a gold-digger that will let you have good times as long as you basically pay for her or some chic that is looking at you when you talk and not your wallet?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:19 AM

Lie, cheat, steal........do whatever you have to in order for that SL55 to be in your garage. If your parents have a history with Mercedes.....simply say that it's the purest form a Mercedes has ever taken.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:47 AM

tell them it has the one of the sweetest exhaust notes this side of a 355!
i would beg untill they get sick of me , and just buy it
Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 AM

use reverse psychology, a little practice for medical school.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:04 AM

Just have them drive one, or you drive one and take them for a ride. On the freeway while cruising at about 70, floor the throttle. If he/she can't stop giggling, then the car is right for them.

But really, if they are not interested in the entire performance aspect, the SL500 is just as much of an amazing car. They both ride, drive, and look very similar, especially when equipped with the Sport-Package. And even the SL500 is still no slouch.

EDIT: I just looked at your profile and realized you are 16. Advise them against the SL55. Sooner or later, they will let you drive it, and you will wreck the car and/or kill yourself.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:24 AM

I dont know you or your family so I cant give a real decision. But honestly, having a SL55 now most probably isnt the right time. Probably get you into more trouble in life. It also will help you have to work less to take a chic out . But then again, do you just want a gold-digger that will let you have good times as long as you basically pay for her or some chic that is looking at you when you talk and not your wallet?
I understand your point but they aren't giving me the car. It's for them. I'm rarely ever home, so I wouldn't ever really get to drive it myself. I just think it's a sweet car that I may get to drive once or twice a year.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by j-man8
Old 11-16-2003, 10:35 AM

I think if you only drove it that much, you're much more likely to have an accident. I say no go unless the education fund is secure and massive. And don't drive it.

Quick2K
Old 11-16-2003, 11:13 AM

If it is mainly for your parents, I think SL500 is more suitable. If it is for you neiter is good. It is simply too expensive for someone who has not finished education. However, if your family is rich to the level that a $113+ car to you is like one meal to regular people, then go ahead why not.

Quick Reply: How to convince the parents to pull the trigger on an SL55