Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Honda Ridgeline will start at $27,700

Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esracer' date='Feb 4 2005, 10:18 AM
I'm seeing nicely equipped Nissan Titans for about 18,000 they have grasped the truck crowd.
Bump to find out where I can get a "nicely equipped" Titan for $18k
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm with Steve on this one. No way would I want to attempt to haul 5000 lbs with that down an Interstate. My Odyssey (only 210HP) with trans cooler and Honda hitch is rated to tow around 4000 lbs, but I can assure you it would not be fun. It might move 4000lbs but I'd be in third gear with the engine screaming to keep it above 60, and hope there are no hills ahead. I've towed smaller loads with it and even those were a big strain. If you've towed anything before, you know that you don't want to be near the limits of capacity. An S2000 on a decent dual axle trailer is going to be around 4500 lbs.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Have people analyzed what "trucks" the ridgeline are actually competing with? Come on man, sure a F350 V10 is going to pull more...

Motor Trend just released its 5 best trucks of the year and the Honda Pilot and Honda Odyssey made the list. Since the Ridge line is a direct derivative... I think a bunch of you will be eating your words.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2ks2k' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:31 AM
Have people analyzed what "trucks" the ridgeline are actually competing with? Come on man, sure a F350 V10 is going to pull more...

Motor Trend just released its 5 best trucks of the year and the Honda Pilot and Honda Odyssey made the list. Since the Ridge line is a direct derivative... I think a bunch of you will be eating your words.
I think you meant C/D
Old 02-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6sigma' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:15 AM
I'm with Steve on this one. No way would I want to attempt to haul 5000 lbs with that down an Interstate. My Odyssey (only 210HP) with trans cooler and Honda hitch is rated to tow around 4000 lbs, but I can assure you it would not be fun. It might move 4000lbs but I'd be in third gear with the engine screaming to keep it above 60, and hope there are no hills ahead. I've towed smaller loads with it and even those were a big strain. If you've towed anything before, you know that you don't want to be near the limits of capacity. An S2000 on a decent dual axle trailer is going to be around 4500 lbs.
Conversely i have seen a BMW 7 series haul an E34 M5 around all day on a dual axle trailer better than most 1/2 ton trucks will.

Rated tow capacity of a 7 series = 0 lbs.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Conversely i have seen a BMW 7 series haul an E34 M5 around all day on a dual axle trailer better than most 1/2 ton trucks will.
No. You have not towed anything, that much is clear from your posts and whimsical notions. Get back to us after you have towed your S2000 on a trailer with the ridgeline. You don't have to tell me I was right, I'm not looking for that, I already know I am -- just trying to save you the pain -- which it appears is pointless.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I pulled nearly 2000 lbs with my Honda Accord this past June - the car weighs about 3200 lbs, I think, and only has 135 hp. I did it for nearly 3400 miles. With a set of hot performance pads to keep things in check, I managed to travel at 60 mph in hilly country (ie, Tennessee) and 70mph+ in flat country (Texas, Mississippi). I did the entire trip in under five days with the car trunk and back seat fully loaded as well.

My car is only rated for 1000 lbs towing. I averaged about 20mpg for the trip. I got as high as 27 mpg.

Please don't tell me a Pilot won't be able to pull 5000 lbs with relative ease and control. It has roughly double the horsepower and torque (at a better part of the rev range for towing) as my car does, with far more appropriate gearing. If I can manage for as long a trip as I did, at over double the car's rated towing capacity, a Ridgeline should be able to do it's rated weight with relative ease. It won't beat a diesel or a V10, sure, but it won't be nearly as tough as most would imagine.

I've seen a Dodge Ram dually towing five vehicles on a heavy multi-vehicle trailer. Three of them were cargo vans that probably weigh around 5000 lbs apiece. The other two cars were Malibus or something - 3500 lbs, I would imagine. That's 22000 lbs, not counting the trailer (which probably weighed another 8000 lbs), well above the tow rating for that vehicle. Towing ratings are almost useless. Properly done, you can tow a lot more. Improperly done, you'll be hard pressed to tow half of your rating and keep it under control.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled nearly 2000 lbs with my Honda Accord this past June - the car weighs about 3200 lbs, I think, and only has 135 hp. I did it for nearly 3400 miles. With a set of hot performance pads to keep things in check, I managed to travel at 60 mph in hilly country (ie, Tennessee) and 70mph+ in flat country (Texas, Mississippi). I did the entire trip in under five days with the car trunk and back seat fully loaded as well.
No you didn't and not with 20MPG. You are flat out lying.

Please don't tell me a Pilot won't be able to pull 5000 lbs with relative ease and control. It
It won't be.

Jonboy, when you have to start making shit up to continue your personal crusade to prove me wrong (which will never happen) you have crossed the line.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by steve c' date='Feb 5 2005, 09:46 PM
No you didn't and not with 20MPG. You are flat out lying.

It won't be.

Jonboy, when you have to start making shit up to continue your personal crusade to prove me wrong (which will never happen) you have crossed the line.
Should I start scanning in my gas slips with mileage and odometer reading indicated on them? They'll have dates and everything. I kept them for income tax purposes - my family and I moved to Dallas, TX from Newfoundland, Canada and took everything we couldn't sell quickly (read - one week). My immigration papers were delayed and we didn't start until (I think) the six days before I started work. We arrived on the fifth day (a Sunday).

Believe me, I can prove every bit of it. Your choice. Slips (and you owned) or will you just back off?

They're all at work (I got reimbursed for my move - the receipts are still there) - I can scan them Monday. Let me know what you prefer...

Liar. Bah. I don't lie. I don't need to.

You, for once, are surprising me by bashing something with which you have had no experience. It's something you always beat on others for doing... Hilarious!

Please note that I said I averaged about 20mpg. I didn't say that I didn't dip below 20mpg. In Tennessee especially, half the time I was in third gear to make sure I didn't slow down too much - that dragged fuel economy down. Somewhere aroud 14mpg, I think. You'll see when I post the slips.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 AM

Oh - I can even show you the set of pads I wore out in 10000 miles. Towing that much tends to wear them a little quickly... My rotors also warped but I've got a new set of Brembos to replace them (plus some new Hawk pads for the front). Just waiting to cryo treat them.

Quick Reply: The Honda Ridgeline will start at $27,700