Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Honda Ridgeline will start at $27,700

Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned two. In 5 years there has been one unplanned visit to the dealer, to replace a faulty MAF -- which I drove 600 miles with anyway.

Sit down, shut up, let the adults have a conversation.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 26 2005, 11:17 PM
I've owned two. In 5 years there has been one unplanned visit to the dealer, to replace a faulty MAF -- which I drove 600 miles with anyway.

Sit down, shut up, let the adults have a conversation.
Liar ! I am freinds with 2 Land Rover technicians and there is a reason why they make six figure salaries on flat rate pay. By the way you say the 62 Buick block is bulletproof........HA ! Why don't I give you the number to one of the techs that I know and either one can tell how often they perfrom an "engine reseal". Engine reseal is jargon exclusively used by Land Rover technicians.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Who is more likely to be correct here, a kid who swept the floors of a car dealership or someone who has owned them?

Seriously, stop while you only seem this dumb. By the way, the buick V8 dates to 58, not 62.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 27 2005, 01:48 AM
Who is more likely to be correct here, a kid who swept the floors of a car dealership or someone who has owned them?

Seriously, stop while you only seem this dumb. By the way, the buick V8 dates to 58, not 62.
Dont mean to be a dick, but the kid.

If he did indeed worked there...

you only had 2 of them (you seemed to have a lot of cars)

but he saw many of them, possibly come back over and over (like i see BMWs that you always defend)

Land Rovers are known to be great off road, but have a rep. for reliability issues.

Sweeping the floors is enough to see the same car roll by every 2 weeks.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread =
Old 02-27-2005, 10:31 AM
ttb

steve c, u are joking if you think land rovers are reliable. yea, your sample size of 2 is really statistically significant.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:19 PM

steve c, u are joking if you think land rovers are reliable. yea, your sample size of 2 is really statistically significant.
Actually, it's quite a bit larger than that. I don't know of anyone who owns Land Rovers who has any issues -- but then every owner I know has multiple cars and one car being out of service is never a big issue.

This is a Honda site, so of course I expect some manner of bias, but then when folks without first hand experience speak, it counts for zilch in my view.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
ttb

Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 27 2005, 11:19 PM
Actually, it's quite a bit larger than that. I don't know of anyone who owns Land Rovers who has any issues -- but then every owner I know has multiple cars and one car being out of service is never a big issue.

This is a Honda site, so of course I expect some manner of bias, but then when folks without first hand experience speak, it counts for zilch in my view.
nothing about honda biased. i'm not a fan of toyota, but i'll say that they make reliable cars as well.

you can increase your sample size to include your friends, don't matter. I'll take the surveys of 1000s of people who repeatedly report that land rovers are not reliable over you and your friends.

really, you don't need first hand experience when the facts are overwhelming. that's like saying you can't say that s*** taste like s*** until you eat it yourself. no thanks.

fwiw, i like land rovers. and i'm disappointed that honda is making the ridgeline. i wont be buying one anytime soon.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:43 PM

I can't disagree with the various reports, but what I have witnessed since the Series II discos onward has been a marked improvement in reliability.

It is my belief that this unreliable perception feeds into itself, any issue is thought of as major. Meanwhile, how many recalls and TSB's have we had since the S2000 introduction? Dozens -- yet because the S2k is a Honda it is "reliable.". Perception ....
Old 02-28-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 28 2005, 01:43 AM
It is my belief that this unreliable perception feeds into itself, any issue is thought of as major. Meanwhile, how many recalls and TSB's have we had since the S2000 introduction? Dozens -- yet because the S2k is a Honda it is "reliable.". Perception ....
I definitely agree on that. Perception is everything when it comes to situations like this. I say that because I know I can associate "reliability" with the brand instead of with the actual vehicle. I had an Acura that, while a very nice car, caused me more trouble and cost me more money than a piece of crap Golf I owned before that.

For what it's worth, the CEO of the last company I worked for had two Land Rovers and they were constantly in the shop. At one point I thought he kept buying new ones because I kept seeing different ones in the parking lot. They were all loaners, obviously.

Quick Reply: The Honda Ridgeline will start at $27,700