Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Ridgeline

Old 01-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Honda Ridgeline

Honda's truck debuted at the Detroit auto show. Maybe all of you know about this thing. I had heard they were coming out with a truck, but I didn't know the details. Check it.

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/article.aspx?xm...verage&GT1=5967
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I care and I think the NA manufacturers had better.
Trucks and SUV's are where the profits are and since GM, Ford and Chrysler have been using these profits for years to prop up their lagging car sales and incentives, any truck type vehicle from any other manufacturer is gotta be a wake up call. I hope.
There is no doubt that the Ridgline will not be built in large enough numbers to put a dent in the grand scheme but... What comes next? I also think that four wheel independent suspension (a first for a truck) and what Honda says they can do with a unit body vs body on frame could be a major indication of where the truck industry may be heading in the next few years. Should be in for some exciting innovations.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope
Old 01-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope
Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benny' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:58 AM
There is no doubt that the Ridgline will not be built in large enough numbers to put a dent in the grand scheme but... What comes next? I also think that four wheel independent suspension (a first for a truck) and what Honda says they can do with a unit body vs body on frame could be a major indication of where the truck industry may be heading in the next few years. Should be in for some exciting innovations.
Honda is, as you said, unlikely to dent NA manufacturer truck sales much at all. But over time I can see that changing drastically, if Ford/GM/D-C don't shape up. D-C used to dominate minivans. Then slowly everyone chipped away at the lead with better and better vans, and now D-C is bringing up 4th place like Ford and GM always were. As a side note, I doubt GM's new stab at making minivans look more like SUVs will fall short.

The Ridgeline I'm sure will find some buyers...perhaps a few Frontier owners, or older people with Tacomas that want something new.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:11 PM

It's hideous. Reminds me of a bloated El Camino from the 70's. But I'm sure the quality and Honda TLC is all built in.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Tried to care, but trucks are not Honda's core competency and It's not really a truck so much as an SUV w/ the roof lopped off the back end...

I'm far more intrested in the Nissan Titan or even the new Chevy mid-size pickups than I am Honda making a "truck"
Old 01-30-2005, 03:03 PM

I saw this while I was at the NAIAS this year, and the function is executed wonderfully, but the form is nasty. I love the fact Honda put their vast know-how into a light pickup, but it's just not very attractive IMO. If anything, that front grille has got to go!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:04 PM

nope .... one fugly looking vehicle ... in photos that is.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:46 PM

A pickup truck is the one type of vehicle I know I'll always own, at least as long as I'm into motorcycles. My initial reaction was that it was fugly, and I didn't pay much attention. Then I found out more about it, and became a lot more interested...that trunk is cool!

I'll consider buying one when it's time to replace the Tundra if I don't need to do any heavy towing.

Quick Reply: Honda Ridgeline