Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Releases New Turbo Engines

Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The way I understand it is that modern turbocharging systems effectively make the engine act like it has variable displacement. At low load is has the efficiency of a non-turbocharged engine while at high load it has the power (and lower fuel economy) of a higher displacement n/a engine.

So... comparing 2 theoretical engines that both make 275HP (a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo and a n/a 3.5L V6), the 2.0L turbo is going to have better cruising fuel economy while still offering you the power of larger displacement when you put your foot down. Given that most people operate their cars in low-load conditions most of the time, this is going to result in better all-around fuel economy for most people.
DBJ,

I understand how/what a turbocharger does, but I'm strictly referring to emissions reqs. I've heard people say "the s2k wouldn't pass emissions standards today." I want to know why? Pushrod v8's still pass emissions fine (although perhaps there are loopholes for domestic car mfrs)..? I understand some cars like wenkel rotaries perhaps can't pass emissions today because they were notoriously inefficient and ran rich, but am wondering why we can't have a modern K-series engine stuffed into an s2k type chassis from Honda. I see honda is sticking the cats in many cars practically right after the exhaust ports on the head, perhaps it's the result of stricter emissions? Are high output vtec engines relatively worse in terms of emissions compared to NA engines with less aggressive cams that have less overlap/lift?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1384880779' post='22884321
The way I understand it is that modern turbocharging systems effectively make the engine act like it has variable displacement. At low load is has the efficiency of a non-turbocharged engine while at high load it has the power (and lower fuel economy) of a higher displacement n/a engine.

So... comparing 2 theoretical engines that both make 275HP (a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo and a n/a 3.5L V6), the 2.0L turbo is going to have better cruising fuel economy while still offering you the power of larger displacement when you put your foot down. Given that most people operate their cars in low-load conditions most of the time, this is going to result in better all-around fuel economy for most people.
DBJ,

I understand how/what a turbocharger does, but I'm strictly referring to emissions reqs. I've heard people say "the s2k wouldn't pass emissions standards today." I want to know why? Pushrod v8's still pass emissions fine (although perhaps there are loopholes for domestic car mfrs)..? I understand some cars like wenkel rotaries perhaps can't pass emissions today because they were notoriously inefficient and ran rich, but am wondering why we can't have a modern K-series engine stuffed into an s2k type chassis from Honda. I see honda is sticking the cats in many cars practically right after the exhaust ports on the head, perhaps it's the result of stricter emissions? Are high output vtec engines relatively worse in terms of emissions compared to NA engines with less aggressive cams that have less overlap/lift?
Forced induction is easy to monitor the air/fuel ratio... You have a map sensor to measure plenum pressure and it adjust afr based on carbon measured by the 02 sensor (open loop) throttle position and the MAP of course. With that in mind, you can run lower compression figures so when you not at full boost the car isn't producing smog like a high compression N/A because that N/A car is burning more air and fuel at ALL times (hence N/A throttle response times). When you smog a turbo car your not at 20 PSI making 400 HP (extreme example)... with a turbo car smogging your prob at .5 psi (barely boosting making your C02 numbers not so high) 3-4K RPM's, hell turbo might even be in vaccum LMAO...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1384880779' post='22884321

DBJ,

It could be that the combustion process is less accurate and starts to fall apart at very high rpms.... meaning there are more noxious byproducts at 8000 rpm than there are at 5000 rpm.

That said... surely the Ferrari 458 Italia puts out more exhaust "bad stuff" at full song than the S2000 did 10 years ago... yet for some reason it has no problem passing emissions while an S2000-like motor wouldn't? I suspect the real reason lies in the politics and wording of emissions regulations.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
It could be that the combustion process is less accurate and starts to fall apart at very high rpms.... meaning there are more noxious byproducts at 8000 rpm than there are at 5000 rpm.

That said... surely the Ferrari 458 Italia puts out more exhaust "bad stuff" at full song than the S2000 did 10 years ago... yet for some reason it has no problem passing emissions while an S2000-like motor wouldn't? I suspect the real reason lies in the politics and wording of emissions regulations.
Ya good point, I remember someone talking about how the combustion process or efficiency falls off a bit at higher rpms, and perhaps there's more noxious crap..

It probably is partly to do as well with your second point. I remember hearing about how the EPA emission reqs are about as clear and concise as the US tax code. I know domestic mfrs have gotten around certain reqs thanks to loopholes with them listing cars as "light trucks" or something along those lines..
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK - so who is going to be the first person to put one of these 2.0L monsters in their S2K?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1384886127' post='22884504

Ya good point, I remember someone talking about how the combustion process or efficiency falls off a bit at higher rpms, and perhaps there's more noxious crap..

It probably is partly to do as well with your second point. I remember hearing about how the EPA emission reqs are about as clear and concise as the US tax code. I know domestic mfrs have gotten around certain reqs thanks to loopholes with them listing cars as "light trucks" or something along those lines..
Are you really trying NOT to look for the accurate answer!?!? Look at my post for a full fact answer as to why, not an opinion based answer... I'm not one to force education upon people but damn dude... COME ON!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by F20AP1
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1384886623' post='22884521
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1384886127' post='22884504']

Are you really trying NOT to look for the accurate answer!?!? Look at my post for a full fact answer as to why, not an opinion based answer... I'm not one to force education upon people but damn dude... COME ON!
[/quote]

It might be because half of what you said is wrong or at least overstated.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
It might be because half of what you said is wrong or at least overstated.
What he said... F20AP1, google the compression ratio of an ls7 engine (hint: it's the same as the s2000).

I didn't respond because your post didn't make much sense. You can easily measure the A/F ratio of ANY engine, boosted or NA. And yes, at very low load the turbo does nothing, and yes, the intake manifold is under vacuum not pressure.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't believe the EPA is testing WOT for standards. So I think a turbo allows steady state speed outputs to remain low while offering huge power increases under boost. Thus getting the best of both.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Dear Honda,

SPORTS CAR!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Vader1

PS....SPORTS CAR!

Quick Reply: Honda Releases New Turbo Engines