Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Releases New Turbo Engines

Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Honda Releases New Turbo Engines

http://world.honda.com/news/2013/413...ine/index.html

2.0L (for Civic Type-R) will have more than 280 hp.

Looks like Honda is going with boost for their next generation of small cars.

EDIT: more info on power output

1.0T - 127 hp / 147 ft-lbs torque
1.5T - 201 hp / 192 ft-lbs torque

The 1.5T may well be the next Accord/CR-V engine with those numbers (both higher than the base N/A 2.4L in those vehicles right now), though I'm betting a lower-boost version of the 2.0L makes more sense. Given the poor reception of Ford's 1.6L EcoBoost (and even the 2.0L) in the Fusion, in regards to both acceleration and fuel economy, I think Honda will learn a lesson and stick with at least the 2.0L for the Accord.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious to see if the 1.0L turbo makes it to America. Might make a good Civic engine.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

1.5L makes more sense, given that they're at 1.8L (N/A) now and most competitors are using 2.0L or bigger engines. A 1.0L turbo will feel somewhat anemic, I'd imagine.

The Fit, on the other hand, will probably get the 1.0L turbo.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of an 'eco', or base model civic. The new Fiesta is getting a 1.0L turbo. Something similar in concept to that would be feasible. The Civic and Fit weigh about the same, so the motor should be at home in either platform.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Very cool! Loving the direction Honda appears to be going
Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I am very happy with this move. It must mean they've got the bugs out of a turbo car and they kept the vtec. I'm happy.

So now let the haters hate
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About damn time.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Does anyone have an article how/why high output NA engines can't pass emissions but turbocharged cars can? I keep hearing this but no one has explained how/why this is the case (maybe I missed it). I certainly have nothing against OEM turbo cars, but as people have noted, mileage is usually subpar compared to EPA ratings of MPG due to the fact that people will most often just accelerate part throttle with boost where the engine isn't operating the most efficiently.

It'll be interesting to see if honda can turn out better mileage with turbo cars vs. the rest, because compared to many turbo cars the gas mileage gains over a v6 are moot imo, especially considering the added cost of maintenance on the turbo in the long run.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Does anyone have an article how/why high output NA engines can't pass emissions but turbocharged cars can? I keep hearing this but no one has explained how/why this is the case (maybe I missed it). I certainly have nothing against OEM turbo cars, but as people have noted, mileage is usually subpar compared to EPA ratings of MPG due to the fact that people will most often just accelerate part throttle with boost where the engine isn't operating the most efficiently.

It'll be interesting to see if honda can turn out better mileage with turbo cars vs. the rest, because compared to many turbo cars the gas mileage gains over a v6 are moot imo, especially considering the added cost of maintenance on the turbo in the long run.
I would also be interested to read that information
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg

The way I understand it is that modern turbocharging systems effectively make the engine act like it has variable displacement. At low load is has the efficiency of a non-turbocharged engine while at high load it has the power (and lower fuel economy) of a higher displacement n/a engine.

So... comparing 2 theoretical engines that both make 275HP (a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo and a n/a 3.5L V6), the 2.0L turbo is going to have better cruising fuel economy while still offering you the power of larger displacement when you put your foot down. Given that most people operate their cars in low-load conditions most of the time, this is going to result in better all-around fuel economy for most people.

Quick Reply: Honda Releases New Turbo Engines