Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

HONDA Rebel

Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA Rebel

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/c...odelId=CMX250C8

today when i was at work, we were discussing how annoying the traffic jams are. then the Idea came to my mind! i never had a bike before and figured that i'd have a nice and cheap honda bike. i dont know why but i liked the rebel at first sight!!

is it a good bike for learning and commuting? what about reliability? fun to drive(compared to other bikes in the same 250cc entry class).

i would like to know your opinon bcz this will be my firs bike. the link from honda website is above.

thanks,
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM

is my choice that terrible?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

it's a good choice. it's the bike (250) that MSF courses use. i'm actually thinking of getting one so i dont rack up to many miles on my 600rr.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the 250 class, even for first bikes. You outgrow them too quickly. Buy it used. At least if you decide to upgrade it won't cost you much when you sell it.

I don't like cruisers for first bikes. The feet-forward position doesn't let you stand on the pegs or put weight on them as easily.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 PM

The "out grow" phenomenon is extremely overrated. It is a good idea to buy it used though. A rebel isn't going to have the power to give you a lot of agility on a crowded fast paced highway [80mph speeds] but you'll have plenty of power at lower speeds of 40-50mph. I think that's a great idea as a starter bike. If you wanted a "sportier" better suited for highway commuting [that means on highways with cars going highway speeds, my highway commute is usually about 15mph] version you can get a Ninja 500R.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 AM

come on my friend,, a 250cc bike here in kuwait,, no car u will be passing with this driving style,, u will need more power to move away from traffic,, u can always start with a 600cc sport/naked bike that is tammer than a pure repli-racer bike,,

my first bike is my current ducati monser 695

it'll never be "oh,, that's too much for a new rider" .. actually it depend on how u twist the throttle not on how powerful is a bike,, ofcourse u shouldn't jump on a 1k gixxer and say u'll be reasonable...

start riding around the block,, always ride with an experienced rider until u feel u have a good control of the bike

i took the learning course from TriStar here in kuwait for KD200 and then the $$ was reduced from the bike i purchased from them

this week i've been commuting with the bike (u know how horrible is the streets now after 8pm) and i'm able to cut through traffic and line first in a red light

good luck and plz don't tell me to ride with u with a cruiser j/k
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM

If you have never ridden before a Rebel is good choice, has some power, but not enough to get in you trouble. I agree with some of the comments above, it is not really safe on the highway, way to slow to keep with traffic. I would also suggest a Kawasaki Ninja 500, nice dependable bike, fast but still easier to control than a cruiser which is weird to ride with your feet out in front of you. Ride with an experienced rider and you will pick it up. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 PM

thank you very much for your feedback. right now im tempted to buy a higher level first bike, but also id like to be buying at a low budget.

vampire, do you know where i could find a used bike in good condition?

if i raise my budget to $6000 what would i get? either new or used. i perfer it to be new.

i really like the HONDA 919. is there a similar bike but witha smaller engine?

thanks,
Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SV650 will be the most popular suggestion. I think the new Bandit 650 is an possible alternative.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Sep 25 2007, 01:58 PM
SV650 will be the most popular suggestion. I think the new Bandit 650 is an possible alternative.
+1 on the sv650.

but like all "what bike should i get as a first bike" posts... if you respect the power a sports 600 can have, then you're ok with getting one.

all my friends i put on bikes, they started on 600s. if youre confident enough, go for it. if not start slow.

i started on a gs500. got rid of it in within a month. then katana 600. too heavy and slow. then gixxer 600. never really used it to its full potential.

but now on the 07 cbr600rr... man what a world of difference. yet, i haven't pushed it close to it's limit.

again, it all boils down to how you respect the bike.

Quick Reply: HONDA Rebel