Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda plans an all-new low cost hybrid

Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda plans an all-new low cost hybrid

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60517001/1041

Honda Kills the Insight
New hybrid vehicle to be developed, priced below current Civic Hybrid

By JAMES B. TREECE AND LINDSAY CHAPPELL | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 05/17/06, 3:50 pm et
American Honda Motor Co. Inc. plans to kill the Insight hybrid this year.

The small, two-seat Insight, introduced in the United States in 1999, sold only 320 units in the first four months of this year. That compares with sales of 30,357 for the competing Toyota Prius, a family sedan embraced by environmentalists.

"Production will stop in September of this year and be discontinued," Honda Executive Vice President Richard Colliver revealed Wednesday, May 17, in a teleconference from Torrance, Calif.

Colliver said Honda is developing a new hybrid that will be smaller than the current Civic. But the new model will not appear until 2009.

The vehicle will be "suitable for family use" and will be priced below the current Civic Hybrid, says Honda CEO Takeo Fukui.

Fukui outlined plans for the new hybrid model as well as for the sale of diesel-powered cars in North America and Japan during a press conference on Wednesday.

He also said Honda plans new vehicle plants in the United States and Japan, a new engine plant in Canada, and a speed-up in its expansion in India.

Fukui said the new hybrid model will be built at Honda's Suzuka, Japan, plant. Honda aims for worldwide sales of about 200,000, including 100,000 in North America.

400,000 hybrids/year

Honda expects to reach those sales volumes "within about two years after sales start," Fukui says. Together with Honda's other hybrid-powered nameplates, the carmaker's hybrid sales then will total almost 300,000 worldwide, he says.

The new hybrid will be sold only as a Honda, says Koichi Kondo, Honda's senior managing director and COO for North American operations. There will not be an Acura version.

Even though half of the new hybrid's sales will be in North America, Honda did not consider building it there, Kondo says. "But we may have to in the future," he adds.

Honda also is developing a cleaner, next-generation version of its 4-cylinder diesel engine. That engine has been sold in Europe since 2004. The new engine will be on the market within the next three years.

Fukui says the engine will be sold in the United States and Japan as well as Europe.

The new diesel aims to meet stringent pending regulations in Europe and Canada that effectively require NOx emissions equivalent to those of a gasoline engine.

Dual diesels

Honda also is developing a clean V-6 diesel engine. That will be an all-new engine not based on the current 4-cylinder diesel.

The new diesels are not planned specifically for either the Honda or Acura brand, and could go in either brand's vehicles, Kondo says.

Fukui repeated his view that hybrid powertrains are most appropriate for small cars, and clean diesels for medium- and large-size cars.

The hybrid models and the diesel-powered cars are part of Honda's goal of reducing the carbon dioxide emissions of its fleet.

In 2000 on a global basis, Honda cars and trucks averaged 179.5 grams of CO2 exhaust emissions per kilometer traveled, or about 11.6 ounces per mile. Despite increased sales of larger-sized vehicles such as SUVs and minivans, Honda reduced its average CO2 emissions by 5 percent during the five-year period up to 2005.

Honda now targets a further reduction of 5 percent or more. It thus aims to achieve a total reduction of 10 percent by 2010 compared to the 2000 level.
So will this new cheaper hybrid be the oft rumored Fit Hybrid? Or will it be a new vehicle based off the Fit or Civic platform? Honda's experience with the Civic Hybrid and Accord Hybrid in the US is that they have been poor sellers VS the more unique Toyota Prius. So that makes me think that this new hybrid should be a unique model - especially if Honda's goal is to be selling 400,000 hybrid vehicles a year.

Andrew
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honda Diesel in the US! I'm all for the Hybrids but it's about time we had more diesel choices.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I had read that the Accord diesel in Europe gets 50 mpg. Since its Europe I assume Accord means "TSX"?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=vader1,May 18 2006, 10:44 AM] I had read that the Accord diesel in Europe gets 50 mpg.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,May 18 2006, 08:48 AM
That's probably 50 miles per British Impirial gallon.

1 British Impirial liquid gallon = 0.83 US liquid gallons

So that's probably more like 41.5 miles per US gallon - still awesome, but not quite as impressive

Andrew
Okay your logic is flawed here. Look at it like this.. .83 is less than 1. If you can get 50 miles out of .83 gallons you could get more miles out of 1 gallon.

I think what you mean is 1 US gallon is .83 British Imperial gallon. That would make more sense.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Actually, since it's Europe I'm sure he meant km/l.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel L,May 18 2006, 01:47 PM
Okay your logic is flawed here. Look at it like this.. .83 is less than 1. If you can get 50 miles out of .83 gallons you could get more miles out of 1 gallon.

I think what you mean is 1 US gallon is .83 British Imperial gallon. That would make more sense.
My bad, I mistyped it. What you said was correct: 1 US gal = .83 imp gal.

Andrew
Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/honda...w_world_records

92 mpg in UK gallons (3.07 L / 100km), so that's roughly 76 mpg (US gallons) on a drive including highway and city driving over 419 miles.

Also note 130 mph sustained average speed over 24 hours!

This car is what I've wanted since they introduced it. The looks of the TSX with the economy of the Insight is a tough combination to beat.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

BTW, the Euro Accord is rated at 51.3 mpg officially and most people get in the high 40s to low 50s in real life. That's as good or better than the VW diesels and the performance (ie, acceleration) is also better, though certainly not stellar in comparison to the standard 2.4L TSX (which isn't stellar compared to most of its competition, either, but this sentence is getting too long so I'll leave it there).
Old 05-19-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CG,May 18 2006, 07:40 AM
Honda Diesel in the US! I'm all for the Hybrids but it's about time we had more diesel choices.

I would totally rock a diesel TSX if they kept it under $30 grand with the same performance

Quick Reply: Honda plans an all-new low cost hybrid