Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Pilot or Nissan Murano?

Old 01-22-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Pilot or Nissan Murano?

I've been looking for a sports utility, but I can't decide between the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Murano. What do you guys think? Which do you think even looks better?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:45 PM

murano. saw a couple already on the road, it's a real slick ride.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:24 PM

Wait for the infiniti version of the murano the FX45 300+ hp and 315+ tq it should be out later this month
Old 01-22-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Pilot or MDX, not a fan of Nissan's new cars.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:03 PM

definitely Murano
Old 01-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honda Pilot!

Yeah, I know, I'm biased.

We own a Pilot EX-L. Put our names on the waiting list in January of last year and waited to be the first one (in town) to drive the Pilot on May 31st! We really enjoy our Pilot. It's everything we want in an SUV. I can't wait for our "projected snowfall" tomorrow to test out her 4 wheel drive system!

Alright, back to the discussion at hand. . .

They are really two different vehicles, for different people too. I've driven a Murano and I liked it but it's not for me. Why? Because I'm a Honda guy!

Seriously, the Murano is a nice package and Nissan is really working well with their finishing. All of the surfaces to the Murano feel and look as if they have been gone over twice. The rear of the Murano is basically useless. The rear slopes at such an extreme that hauling some cargo could easily become a challenge. I did like the rear seat release latches.

It really depends on what you are looking for out of an SUV. If you want the frills, go with the Murano. The basics at a good value, go with a Pilot.

BTW, do yourself a BIG favor and visit www.hondacars.com or try this direct link here to the Pilot:

http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_over...ModelName=Pilot

CLICK on "COMPARE PILOT"

Select your Trim Level.

Then select a competitor.

This is the easiest way to compare the two vehicles (by numbers). Nissan also has a comparison selector but it only lists what the Murano boasts and you get crap like "Body Colored Bumpers" as one of the "advantages."
Old 01-22-2003, 08:38 PM

If I was in your shoes I'd get a Pilot. I don't like the looks of the Murano. To me it looks cheap and overdone.

Can't go wrong with a Honda.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. Unfortunately, I'm still confused. About have of you guys say the Pilot, the other half Murano. Maybe the vote will move more towards either of the other cars soon.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:05 PM

Go test drive a Murano and a Pilot. They are pretty different cars and one should stand out.

That said, get a Murano. It's phenomenal, in my mind, in almost every way. The chassis and engine have proven themselves and fit and finish if excellent. The only unknown is the CVT which is new with Nissan, but so far it looks good. If you've got the cash, hold out for the Infiniti FX45. Either way, you can't go wrong. I'm biased as my family is on our 7th straight Nissan and all have easily lasted 100K miles. This might just be me, but I'd also take a Maxima over an Accord any day and the price difference is surprisingly small. Oh well, I'll get flamed for that so I guess I should stop rambling myself into trouble.

-Alex
that nissan guy who loves getting on his soapbox on a honda forum.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:10 PM

Get the Infiniti FX35 as the FX45 will probably be priced way beyond the price range of the Murano and Pilot.

Few reasons to hold out for the Infiniti: better customer service, it looks ALOT nicer than the generic looking Murano, and better build quality!

Otherwise, go for the Pilot.

Either way, forget the Murano. The design is trendy and forgettable and resale will stink imo...

Quick Reply: Honda Pilot or Nissan Murano?