Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda lets us down again - No RSX Type-R for the USA

Old 08-29-2002, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From MotorTrend - October 2002 Pg. 30

[QUOTE]R-Type minus 20 hp equals FP
Acura's RSX gets a handling and appearance package

Acura is tenuously joining the BMW M/Mercedes AMG tuner market with a new line of products badged under the Factory Performance name. First up is a handling package for the RSX Type-S that features stiffer "track-tuned" springs and shocks that lower the coupe by about 1 in., 17-in. lightwieght aluminum alloy wheels and 225/45VR17 tires, slotted brake rotors with performance pads and lower body cladding and the requisite boy-racer wing. Inside there's a billet aluminum shift knob and special Factory Performance badging with aluminum look interior trim. This is the home-market Honda Integra's Type-R handling package without the 220-hp engine. Acura says it has no plans to import the Type-R, so if you lust after that car you might consider springing for the $4800-plus dealer installation (estimated at six hours). Hurry: Only 1000 copies will be available the first year.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bah, nothing is set in stone with Honda/Acura. I think they will still release the Type R iteration just like they did for the last gen. The Type S FP is just a teaser imo..

Motor Trend can only speculate as to what car manufacturers are going to do, at best it's an educated guess.
They haven't always given the most accurate information in the past..
Old 08-30-2002, 04:45 AM

I've not read one glowing review of the car as of yet, so it's not exactly a DOMINATING player like the DC2R was. If they've softened the car's sharp edges [and all tests thus far seem to suggest this] let them eat the damned thing. And asking $5k for a suspension modification and some platic is ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:15 AM

Honda didn't let me down...I wouldn't buy one anyway. Even if I was in the market for a car like that, it looks like crap based on the pic I just saw in a mag.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:20 AM

Costa Mesa Acura had a white type R RSX with Right side steering wheel config in their showroom for sale. No rear seats!

Tan
Old 08-30-2002, 10:43 AM

i wish honda would let us down more often. the less FWD cars they bring to the states the better. I wish the would do away with every FWD car but the civic and accord. I think all of their offerings from acura should be RWD (a la BMW).
Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 AM

Tnguyen! Hook me up bro! hahaha
Old 08-30-2002, 11:19 AM

Has anyone thought that maybe Honda had nothing to do about it. Automotive import laws are very strict and if the don't meet specific criteria for emissions, fuel usage, weight to size as well as other criteria the car cannot be mass marketed and thusly sold.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:45 AM

I do fault Honda or Acura here in the US. The move to struts on the front end was not the best move directionally for performance. They can say what they will, but the actual reason is CO$TS, plain and simple.

Look at the unsuccessful Formula One engine. How many blown engines does it take to make an engine pkg competitive? It wasn't always like this.

The NSX hasn't been updated since it's inception.

The "new and improved Integra Type R is no better than the DC2R it replaced.

Still no rear wheel drive sedan.

The S2K still cannot win a comparison with the Boxster S due to rear suspension issues. Where's the development on that chassis? In Europe they've released an update, but it proved to be a band aid.

I love things Honda, but this has got to stop. As it is, when my ITR finally moves along I think I'll be looking towards Lotus for a "roadable track queen".
Old 09-04-2002, 02:29 PM

Is it possible that tuning the Type R engine to run on US 92 octane gas lowers the output, especially considering that bastard state CA and its silly emissions requirements (j/k)? I mean, you are bitching about losing out on the opportunity to pay $5000 for 20 HP, which is easy to replace with aftermarket goodies. Rip out your backseat, add every bolt-on, and you have what you are looking for, and more money in your pocket.

Chui-
That is why Honda is known for making economy cars rather than performance cars.

Quick Reply: Honda lets us down again - No RSX Type-R for the USA