Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Fit

Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fit gets great crash test ratings, I don't really understand why people automatically feel safer in a heavier car.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it and there are tons of mods for Fit.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:05 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Apr 7 2007, 05:53 PM
The fit gets great crash test ratings, I don't really understand why people automatically feel safer in a heavier car.
Most cars get 4/5 stars in these crash tests. The crash tests measure crash between a car with similar/same weight as the vehicle being tested. So a Fit crash test reflects a crash with another car that weighs the same as a Fit.

The Gov can't come out and say small cars are less safe than large cars so they have crash tests 5-star which only reflects safety within the weight class.

Model-to-model comparisons of frontal crash-test ratings are valid only within a vehicle class or between models of comparable weight (within 250 pounds). The test reflects how the vehicle would fare in a collision with another of the same model, and not versus a larger or smaller vehicle (or a lower- or higher-riding vehicle). A heavier vehicle would protect its occupants better than a lighter one if all other factors were equal, but they never are.
quote from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety "No matter what you do, you cannot repeal the laws of physics," institute spokesman Russ Rader said. "A larger, heavier vehicle is always going to be safer than a smaller, lighter vehicle. If you're looking at small cars vs. larger cars, small cars have twice as many occupant deaths as large cars."

Rader said statistics indicate death rates go down as vehicle weight goes up, especially in single- and two-vehicle crashes.
In two-car collisions, the occupants of the lighter car are at greater risk than the occupants of the heavier vehicle...occupant fatality rates do generally decline as weight increases, with the largest cars providing the most protection.
[QUOTE]--->>click

Weight Class - Statistics show that if two vehicles with the same NHTSA full frontal rating crash into each other head on, but one vehicle weighs twice as much as the other,[COLOR=red] the occupants of the lighter one (2000 lbs) are eight times more likely to be killed than the occupants of the heavier vehicle (4000 lbs).
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
rai

My point is that 2400 lb cars are not as safe as 3400 lb cars or 4400 lb minivans. Thats beyond a doubt.

My Legacy has as good crash tests as a Fit and as many airbags, and it weighs 1000 lbs more and is 30 inches longer (and 2 inches wider). I know the Fit gets better gas mileage (that's not a debate) and I know the Legacy is safer (thats also not a debate).

If every other car on the road was a Fit or Mini or S2000 or Elise (etc..) the Fit would be great. but the average car/truck weight is close to 4000 lbs so the Fit 95% is going to be the lightest car in the area.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although the side impact tests are done with a fixed weight moving barrier.

It's the front collision to a immovable barrier that really only takes the vehicle weight into the equation.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Apr 7 2007, 09:53 PM
Its more mass vs less mass - more energy transfers into the smaller mass, causing more of a change in inertia. Sure, if you're in a 5k lb H2 and you run into a Fit, you'll come out better, but the 3k Fit has a better chance of avoiding the accident in the first place.

I don't think people think about the ability to avoid accidents with such things as a lower center of gravity, better handling, better braking, etc. They just think about being able to survive a crash by being in a bigger box as the tumble around.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:24 AM
rai

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Apr 7 2007, 09:59 PM] I don't think people think about the ability to avoid accidents with such things as a lower center of gravity, better handling, better braking, etc.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's your mecca for FiT's......http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
Old 04-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 8 2007, 05:24 AM
This is true when you consider a SUV or PU-Truck which are actually less safe than many cars because they roll easily and also have poor accident avoidance.
Well, even if you DON'T consider rollover, SUVs are not safer because the fact that they are big and they have to be built stronger to support their own frame. Ask any safety expert, the key to collision safety is the car's ability to collapse and distribute the energy evenly throughout the car. When an SUV gets hit, the SUV keeps its frame and leaves an accident unscathed, but all the momentum of the crash goes straight to the passengers inside.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fit deserves

Quick Reply: Honda Fit