Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda demands NSX be faster around 'Ring than GTR

Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the car. The NSX (of any year) is still a dream car of mine.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i definitely agree with u. always have and always will love the car. if only the type r came to the states
Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by overst33r,Jun 18 2008, 11:09 AM
Honda is just playing catch up... THEY set the standard with the NSX last generation, how things have changed.
I'm confused. How is it any different now than what they did before?

The original NSX was meant to challenge the Porsche 911 and Ferrari 348 (the "best" of the time in the target market) and, for all intents and purposes, beat them. The only difference is that they didn't publicly announce a specific goal like this. That doesn't mean the intent wasn't there, though, because it surely was.

They set the standard before by beating (or matching) the best in the market while costing less. You can't set the standard unless you beat the existing standard, which is what they're doing publicly now (declaring what they consider the standard to beat).

Nissan must be loving this publicity!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jun 18 2008, 01:33 PM
They set the standard before by beating (or matching) the best in the market while costing less. You can't set the standard unless you beat the existing standard, which is what they're doing publicly now (declaring what they consider the standard to beat).

That was the linchpin - cost. If they can get something as fast as the top end GTR for $60K, they're made in the shade.

My concern is that Honda will leverage too much old engineering into the new NSX for it to deliver. That, and they'll try to cheap out with skinny tires. . . again.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM

The spy shots are ugly.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

Uh huh, good luck, Honda! Try aiming at 7m20s or faster because the new GT-R Spec V will be very close to that mark. Yes, the Spec V will still be a GT-R, so might as well aim for it too. Good luck (or in that case, good miracle), Honda!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Communist_StooK,Jun 18 2008, 02:17 PM
Uh huh, good luck, Honda! Try aiming at 7m20s or faster because the new GT-R Spec V will be very close to that mark. Yes, the Spec V will still be a GT-R, so might as well aim for it too. Good luck (or in that case, good miracle), Honda!
...and theType-R will also be an NSX. I don't get your point....I don't see anything wrong with the NSX replacement using the GT-R as the benchmark. GT-R used the Porsche Turbo as one, the Rx-7 used the NSX as the bench mark, and so on and so on. I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. Nothing wrong with setting goals of beating numbers.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Jun 18 2008, 03:37 PM
...and theType-R will also be an NSX. I don't get your point....I don't see anything wrong with the NSX replacement using the GT-R as the benchmark. GT-R used the Porsche Turbo as one, the Rx-7 used the NSX as the bench mark, and so on and so on. I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. Nothing wrong with setting goals of beating numbers.
The point was, since the GT-R's times are so amazing, it's not an easy task to accomplish beating those times. When you climb too high a tree, your chances of falling are much higher. However, I do hope Honda will achieve it and wish them luck. I'm more of a Honda fan than Nissan.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Communist_StooK,Jun 18 2008, 04:20 PM
The point was, since the GT-R's times are so amazing, it's not an easy task to accomplish beating those times. When you climb too high a tree, your chances of falling are much higher. However, I do hope Honda will achieve it and wish them luck. I'm more of a Honda fan than Nissan.
I hear ya...well, they certainly had all the time in the world. They better deliver something amazing. It would be quite embarassing if it didn't....kinda like all talk, and no walk.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jun 18 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm confused. How is it any different now than what they did before?

The original NSX was meant to challenge the Porsche 911 and Ferrari 348 (the "best" of the time in the target market) and, for all intents and purposes, beat them. The only difference is that they didn't publicly announce a specific goal like this. That doesn't mean the intent wasn't there, though, because it surely was.

Nissan must be loving this publicity!
I was speaking in comparison of the Skyline back then. The NSX was the better sports car and over the years in refinement became the faster car. Now it's (likely) the opposite.

Quick Reply: Honda demands NSX be faster around 'Ring than GTR