Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda CONFIRMS NSX replacement!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CONFIRMS NSX replacement!

CEO revealed next NSX is coming at Frankfurt..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259138/

Honda has begun work on a new sportscar in the mould of the iconic Honda NSX, president and CEO Takanobu Ito has sensationally revealed on the eve of the Frankfurt motor show.
However, the ‘new NSX’ will be radically different from its predecessor, with Ito stating that the goal will be to build a car that has a dramatic power-to-weight-ratio as opposed to outright power.
See pictures of the original Honda NSX
“I spent part of my early career at Honda developing the NSX, and specifically the aluminium body,” said Ito. “I really enjoyed that experience, and learned much, so it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sportscar like the NSX in future. Within Honda, our engineers are already looking at developing such a car.”
Ito declined to comment on when such a car could make production, but he stressed it would be a different vehicle to the original NSX, which weighed 1350kg and had 290bhp.
“You can’t depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore,” he said. “The original NSX was about high power but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on. The NSX was known for its aluminium body, so when we develop our new sportscar we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well.”
A successor to the original NSX was originally planned to be launched in 2010, but was canned in December 2008 by then Honda CEO Takeo Fukui in reaction to the economic crisis and growing environmental concerns.
However, Ito is pushing for Honda to push its sporting credentials again, so long as they compliment its environmental stance.
“Our recent efforts have been focused on fuel efficiency, and that perhaps gives the impression Honda is behind with pushing the brand image of sportiness, but let me assure you that is not the case,” said Ito. “We will address that impression with our new generations of cars.”
Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Good news.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM

"The original NSX was about high power"

Oh dear...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rnye
CEO revealed next NSX is coming at Frankfurt..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259138/

Honda has begun work on a new sportscar in the mould of the iconic Honda NSX, president and CEO Takanobu Ito has sensationally revealed on the eve of the Frankfurt motor show.
However, the ‘new NSX’ will be radically different from its predecessor, with Ito stating that the goal will be to build a car that has a dramatic power-to-weight-ratio as opposed to outright power.
See pictures of the original Honda NSX
“I spent part of my early career at Honda developing the NSX, and specifically the aluminium body,” said Ito. “I really enjoyed that experience, and learned much, so it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sportscar like the NSX in future. Within Honda, our engineers are already looking at developing such a car.”
Ito declined to comment on when such a car could make production, but he stressed it would be a different vehicle to the original NSX, which weighed 1350kg and had 290bhp.
“You can’t depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore,” he said. “The original NSX was about high power but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on. The NSX was known for its aluminium body, so when we develop our new sportscar we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well.”
A successor to the original NSX was originally planned to be launched in 2010, but was canned in December 2008 by then Honda CEO Takeo Fukui in reaction to the economic crisis and growing environmental concerns.
However, Ito is pushing for Honda to push its sporting credentials again, so long as they compliment its environmental stance.
“Our recent efforts have been focused on fuel efficiency, and that perhaps gives the impression Honda is behind with pushing the brand image of sportiness, but let me assure you that is not the case,” said Ito. “We will address that impression with our new generations of cars.”
I feel like right now being a Honda enthusiast is like being a Nikon enthusiast... it takes them time to upgrade or replace models, but when they do it can sometimes be a tremendous leap forward.

Expecting this machine to have the GTR in its sights. I would gladly trade GTR power and AWD for a lighter vehicle with a real manual trans, rwd, and low weight. It's not always about numbers... it's about driving experience. What do numbers mean on the street anyway? Nothing. A real lightweight, high revving, Honda experience would be just what the car market needs. Not everyone wants 10 turbos, awd, 500+ hp, and lots of weight.

With current emissions restrictions, safety restrictions, and the eco-friendly fad, I'm really hoping this car can still have some balls.

Hoping they give us three pedals
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swift GT

Oh dear...
LOL my thoughts exactly. The original NSX made about as much power as the current Camry V6 does. The new NSX better show up to the party with absolutely no less than 400HP. Even with 400HP, you'd still get all of the domestic rednecks harping about their buddy's Mustang 5.0 puts out more power.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Yeah not sure if I agree with that exactly but I am excited. If it is really light and has good power like a lotus it could be a great car. It just better cost less than say a GTR. And so help me Honda if the word Hybrid is anywhere near that car the following word is turbo.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 AM

I want to believe this soo bad, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swift GT

Oh dear...
well when it came out it had good power compared to it's competition. so i take that to mean the new one will be powerful relative to the competition it has today.

I see this comment as a good thing.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm hoping it comes as a Honda car, would love to stare at it in the show room from my office
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. Here's to hoping for another mid-engine layout!

Quick Reply: Honda CONFIRMS NSX replacement!