Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda CBR 600 or Yamaha YZF-600R

Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CBR 600 or Yamaha YZF-600R

Hey guys, I plan on buying my first bike in the spring and I've been looking around at some bikes. Two bikes that I like are the 2005 Honda CBR 600F4i and the Yamaha YZF-600R. Which one of these bikes do you guys like better and why? What are some of the good and bad things that these bikes have to offer? I know there are some well experienced riders here so your help is greatly appreciated. Please no flaming because I'm getting my first bike. I plan on taking the appropriate steps to get on the road safely. Thank You.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 PM

I ride a an 02 600 F4I. This was my first bike and I still love it. The reason why i bought the Honda over the gsx-r and yamaha's was because that year i think honda was teh only 600 cc that was offering fuel injection, also the handling of the honda is superb. I will tel you this though, the seat of the honda feels nice at the touch, but it is really nothing but a plank of wood with a leather cusion . I would recommend getting a 600 CC bike if this is your first time riding. They arnt nearly as powerful as the 1k, but still fast none the less. There is alot more leeway in the throttle with a 600 rather then a 1k. I also recommend if you are going to spend the money, get the 600 RR instead of the F4I. I am thinking about trading my 02 F4i on a new 600RR, or even a 1kRR .

I would get the Honda personally, just for the main reason, their handling.

Nothing aginst the Yamahas.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both good bikes for beginners but highly suggest getting a used bike as your first bike. Some folks will say they've gotten new bikes and never dropped it while they were learning. Rate of learning will probably be faster with a used bike since you won't be worried about scratching/denting/ruining new bike and actually concentrate on learning and focusing on skills more. If you wish to get a new bike anyways, get the F4i since it's a lot lighter than Thundercat. Thundercat really heavy for a 600 and cold blooded but very stable at speed.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for all your help Troyz0r. I'll really look into that 600rr. For my first bike, I'm sticking with a 600cc bike. That will be more than enough power for a first time rider like me. Thanks once again.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hyperpm,Jan 9 2005, 05:22 PM
Both good bikes for beginners but highly suggest getting a used bike as your first bike. Some folks will say they've gotten new bikes and never dropped it while they were learning. Rate of learning will probably be faster with a used bike since you won't be worried about scratching/denting/ruining new bike and actually concentrate on learning and focusing on skills more. If you wish to get a new bike anyways, get the F4i since it's a lot lighter than Thundercat. Thundercat really heavy for a 600 and cold blooded but very stable at speed.
Yeah you are right hyperpm, I noticed that the F4i is about 40lbs. lighter. Two of my friends also advised me to get a used bike as well. If I can find a good used bike, I'll most likely buy it. Thanks bro.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 PM

just one more thing to add. If you have never ridden before at all, you should go to your local College, or a community college or something. Where i live (Virginia) there is a program nation wide that goes to community college's i guess and offers a motorcycle course. The company/organization that does it is called MSF ( Motorcycle Safety Foundation) . Basically all you do is sign up for the class, it is a 3 day course. They teach you all the basics, and you don't even ride your own bike; they have their own bikes set up for you. If you drop the bike, you don't have to pay for anything. Now when i say drop, i mean like whoops kinda of drop. I don't mean going 35 mph + and skidding the piece out and saying "whoops".

You ride for 3 days, 2 days you are in class after the session of riding to cover the material. On the 3rd day you are giving your test. The test was composed of riding (actual riding) and a written test.

The class is real real real easy. Basically one of those driver improvement courses you have to take if you ever got a ticket....... not saying i have ever had to take one...... ( ok you got me, i have taken atleast 5 of those suckers..) i have a led foot, what can i say? ... Anyways going back to the subject; the class is simple. Also after completion you get a card etc etc... Some insurance companies reward a discount if you take this class also.

The plus side of this is to find out if you are not to scared or not to ride the bike. It would be a shame to dump over 8k into a bike, then find out that it is too much for you to handle ( i have seen people actually do this. Go out and buy a brand new bike only to find out that they cant control it.)

Anyways i hope this info works out. I didn't know if you had ridden before or not, so just shooting it out there, not to flame or bust on ya any.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I don't know if it's the same program, but they have a similar program at a local community college(Harper college) near my house. I plan on going to it. Thank you so much.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of several friends who own/have owned the YZF600, and they love them! They're not cutting edge by any means, but still offer respectable performance and are extremely comfortable (enough so to be used for sport touring).

Still, I'd take the CBR out of those 2 choices...I prefer the styling, lighter weight, and better performance.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Hey man, long time rider here. I have ridden both bikes, and I Own a CBR. Great bike, though plan on getting an aftermarket gel seat. Overall, just be patient when learning to ride. After about a month, you are gonna feel like Superman. You're not lol. NEVER ride over your limits and most of all, Have a blast, you'll love it. Sorry to lecture man. I would pick the CBR if you want a "true" sportbike, but both are great bikes.

Ride safe.

(FYI, I am a MSF instructor, hence the lecture, sorry)
Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 AM

I used to have a 2002 CBR 600 F4i...it was my first bike and I loved it. Very easy to learn on...The only thing I didn't like was the way the cable came across the speedo, which kind of blocked it. Not sure if they fixed that.

Otherwise, I would get the one with the best deal...you can't go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Honda CBR 600 or Yamaha YZF-600R