Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

HONDA CANCELS NEW NSX!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Dec 17 2008, 09:56 AM
I'd rather Honda do a successor that's more Lotus Elise than Corvette. Another overpriced/overwrought/overWEIGHT megasuperubercar would have meant nothing to me.
Exactly. Another high priced supercar would have meant little more than a car for most people on this forum to drool over owning and then waiting 5-10 years in order to purchase a used one. By that time, it will be another out of date supercar.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM

I'm glad to see the front engined NSX being canceled.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Malloric,Dec 17 2008, 10:54 AM
Funny coming from someone driving a prechewed electric assisted mush steering power ABS Honda with a fuel injected engine and some of that funny variable cam crap for nancy boys who can't handle a bit of rough idle.
^^^^ Ahh I see you've made the mistake of thinking I've only got one car or that I don't ride motorcycles.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 17 2008, 10:56 AM
GT-r is auto only, but I think the NSX replacement was going to be auto-only as well. Also, The rev match can be turned off with a button in the 370Z - Nissan has stayed more true to sports cars than any other Japanese manufacturer.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 370Z convertible. If it doesn't look as lame as the 350, it could be a great S2000 replacement.
I would say Honda has stayed more true to sportscars than any other manufacturer. (S2000 and NSX til '05). Plus they make bad@ss motorcycles and compete(d) in F1... so I think Honda was the most motorsport oriented company out of the JDM big three.

Nissan's GT-R is an '09 model. Infiniti doesn't make sports cars, they have GT's (G35/37 coupes have backseats... and are pig heavy.. not exactly sportscars by any stretch).

BTW, I know the rev-match can bet turned off, but surely that "feature" adds to the weight and complexity of the 370Z.

Nissan which is historically less reliable than Honda (or Toyota for that matter) shouldn't be making complicated cars with that kind of track record/history.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Dec 17 2008, 02:13 PM
Exactly. Another high priced supercar would have meant little more than a car for most people on this forum to drool over owning and then waiting 5-10 years in order to purchase a used one. By that time, it will be another out of date supercar.
I'd still take an "out of date" supercar over an current econobox FWD POS.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I didn't even believe Honda was going to make it in the first place, let alone be competitive in this market environment. If they were planning to debut it in 2010, the vehicle should've already absorbed a lot of R&D costs at they should be past the point of no return. Of course, I'm just speculating with no real credible source.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 17 2008, 12:46 PM
I didn't even believe Honda was going to make it in the first place, let alone be competitive in this market environment. If they were planning to debut it in 2010, the vehicle should've already absorbed a lot of R&D costs at they should be past the point of no return. Of course, I'm just speculating with no real credible source.
I was thinking the same thing. Didnt Honda say it was pure aesthetics they didnt agree on and was still working out? Maybe they were waiting on an excuse to axe it(GTR..cough).
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nfty,Dec 17 2008, 04:25 PM
I would say Honda has stayed more true to sportscars than any other manufacturer. (S2000 and NSX til '05). ... I think Honda was the most motorsport oriented company out of the JDM big three.

Nissan's GT-R is an '09 model. Infiniti doesn't make sports cars, they have GT's (G35/37 coupes have backseats... and are pig heavy.. not exactly sportscars by any stretch).
Well, Nissan has pretty much had a sports car in its line up for the past 50 years. Honda, only 10, since the S2000 is the only badged sports car here in the States - you can say 20 if you count the NSX as a Honda.

Nissan's Z has a long history here in the States:
300 gen2
now 370

Nissan has a long history of sports cars besides the Z cars, and having owned a Z, I can say it was just as reliable as my S, all things considered. Nissan is also big into motorsports in Japan - more so than Honda, which concentrated more on F1 only. To say Honda is the most motorsport oriented doesn't really say much about whether or not it made good sports cars.

Honda isn't really a company that does sports cars. It does econo cars, and that's its bread and butter. Shigeru Uehara was responsible for the NSX and S2000, and he's gone from Honda now. I suspect there are no more Shigeru Ueharas in Honda, so no more sports cars from Honda.

Honda canceling the NSX replacement isn't a shock to me, its been on and off the books for years now. Its never been as serious as Toyota or Nissan when it comes to sports cars, and that's the culture we're seeing now. Honda is an engine company and it wants to build efficient engines and put those in cars, not necessarily powerful engines in sports cars.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Dec 17 2008, 04:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Didnt Honda say it was pure aesthetics they didnt agree on and was still working out? Maybe they were waiting on an excuse to axe it(GTR..cough).
Yeah, the NSX replacement has gone back to the drawing board what, three times now? Always getting serious revision work done, which to me says Honda didn't have a plan for it.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 17 2008, 12:52 PM
Its never been as serious as Toyota.... when it comes to sports cars

Quick Reply: HONDA CANCELS NEW NSX!