Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

HONDA CANCELS NEW NSX!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nfty,Dec 17 2008, 11:58 AM
Honda going the way of Toyota? (Only boring "normal" cars from now on?)

And the Civic Type R? Wow another boy racer car. I don't care about stats, no thanks. FWD is not a sports car platform. Keep making the S2000

Ugh.

And Nissan? They're not Nissan, they're Re-Nissan LOL! Definitely not doing well IMO.

GT-R is definitely a losing proposition for them (margin is low and warranty claims are going to be high). The 370Z is a breath of fresh air, however I don't think Honda nor Toyota feel "threatened" by Nissan in terms of sales.

Look at the resale value of Hondas and Toyotas compared to Nissans

PS: Thank god Honda also makes motorycles. They're faster and "greener" than their cars anyhow.
Sad that you're knocking the one Japanese automaker that's still making new and exciting sports cars. margins may be low, but at least the GT-R and new 370Z cater to the enthusiast crowd, and they are great cars with good tech in them (mostly).

As for Honda bikes....I think they are kind of like the autos - old engines tend to stick around longer than you'd expect and prices aren't always competitive with the market.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just hope that when things settle and development resumes that another team of designers is put to task. Nothing says exotic hotness like mid-engine. And if SH-AWD is a must, have two versions; one MR, and one M-AWD. Let's hope that a true NSX resurrection occurs in the future.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Dec 17 2008, 09:11 AM
It seems like it's a bad idea to cut development on this car right now. It wouldn't be out until the end of 2009 or maybe even 2010 anyway. By then, the market will most likely be recovering, and they have the opportunity to catch it on the way up.

It's impossible to predict the market, but I suspect there will be a lot of people that end up making quite a bit of money as the market returns to its 2007 levels, and some of those people will be looking to spend it on cars in the 100K price range. The new NSX would've likely been a viable option for them.
You just can't bet the firm on that though. The global auto industry is in fight for survival and relevance.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"In order for Honda to sustain its business during the next 100 years of the automotive industry, it is critical for the company to further strengthen its ability to continue advancing environmental technologies and to apply them to creative and attractive products."

This is where money will be spent.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they will speed up the CR-Z. They debuted that car as a concept what, 2 years ago? Come on now.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad. I like the idea of "halo" cars even though I'm unlikely to buy one. Without the new NSX, Honda's line-up looks more and more like a bunch of grocery getters. Good for the bottom line, not for keeping us enthusiasts, um, enthusiastic about the brand.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 AM

^^^ Learn how to ride a Honda motorcycle. You won't miss the NSX as much when you're passing them on the highway.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 17 2008, 07:43 AM
Nissan here we come - at least one Japanese automaker is making high-powered sports cars.
+1, and guess what? They are selling cars. Their luxury line, Infiniti, is doing well also, comparatively. I can't count how many G's and M's are around here, and I'd consider both to be sporty luxury rides. Nissan does the GTR, now the 350Z? Honda has lost the plot. When was the last car Honda produced, that really stirred the soul of the enthusiast world? That's right the S2000, almost 10 years ago. That is a long damn time to go without a new performance-y model.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 17 2008, 10:12 AM
Sad that you're knocking the one Japanese automaker that's still making new and exciting sports cars. margins may be low, but at least the GT-R and new 370Z cater to the enthusiast crowd, and they are great cars with good tech in them (mostly).

As for Honda bikes....I think they are kind of like the autos - old engines tend to stick around longer than you'd expect and prices aren't always competitive with the market.
GT-R is about as exciting as a automatic 80s Camaro on the street. It doesn't even have a man pedal.

The 370Z is a glimmer of hope that Nissan isn't totally retarded, but then again it will do rev-matched downshifting for you --- What a bonus!!! (NOT!!!! I like to chew my own steak before I eat it. I don't need it "pre-chewed" for my convenience.)

At least Nissan still makes a sportscar (Fairlady), not so much will be said of Toyota and now Honda

Honda bikes? Old engines? I assume you're not much into bikes nor realize how Honda has rebuilt bikes like say the 600RR from the ground up in 2007 and been pwning the competition in industry shootouts since?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by nfty,Dec 17 2008, 08:43 AM
The 370Z is a glimmer of hope that Nissan isn't totally retarded, but then again it will do rev-matched downshifting for you --- What a bonus!!! (NOT!!!! I like to chew my own steak before I eat it. I don't need it "pre-chewed" for my convenience.)
If you don't like pre-chewed steak then in this case you can turn it off so you can stop yapping about it being done for you.

Quick Reply: HONDA CANCELS NEW NSX!