Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Accord V6, Vtec Del Sol, Civic Si Coupe...

Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Honda Accord V6, Vtec Del Sol, Civic Si Coupe...

As it says in the title, Ive been looking around for one of these cars and wondering... Are the 6/5 speed accord V6s rare?? what year did they have the 6 spd w the 240 horse??

I imagine the Vtec Del Sol doesnt run bad.. I forget the hp rating on that?

Civic Si coupe.. Do these run better than the Vtec Del Sol?? Accord?

Im looking for your input on these 3 cars, and if you had to choose based on mod friendlyness and fun factor and fastness .. Which would you choose..???

Also looking for experience with these cars as in mod potential and reliability also..

I like the Accord for the V6 all around power, The Si for mod potential.. can be quick and the Del Sol for "assumed" (I dont know much about these cars) mod potential and the Targa top.

Help me out!!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a del Sol fan. I bought my VTEC (DOHC, the 160 HP) new in '97 (the final year) and have never gotten rid of it. In the years since buying that car, I have had a 2001 S2000, 2002 Civic Si and now my daily driver is an Element, thanks to needing space for my business.

Honestly, though I loved the S2000...it was pretty impractical and there was a bit more upkeep (OK, tires, it was the tires!) than I could afford at the time. It really was a case of a three season car not making much sense for me at the time...don't get me wrong...I'd love to have another S2000.

The del Sol is a great car. It was my daily driver for 3.5 years. It is great in all seasons, and it is nice to be able to go topless in nice weather, yet have a hardtop in the winter. It goes like hell and is always a blast to drive (comparing it against anything but an S2000.) It was fine in the snow...I never had a single issue and I drove it in 6 inches of snow one time with no problem.

I think all the cars you mentioned are winners...but I really like the del Sol.

I plan to keep mine forever, mostly because it's worth a lot more to me than the $5000 or so I might be able to get for it.

I always think about 20 years from now...the del Sol will be that cool targa with the back power window. When I had my S2000, as much as I loved it and thought it was the best car I ever owned...it was still a roadster, like many other cars out there. The del Sol was a tad more unique. Not better, just unique.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM

my Si is selling for rock bottom price and its still 9900 here in SoCal.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Well im in PA, soo.. Cut your price in half and thats about what car prices here are as compared to CA..lol

id be looking for a Si Coupe not the Hatch..

I really really like the Delsol alot.. and wouldnt settle for the Non-vtec model..

The accords kinda big.. but.. its not bad speed wise for an accord..

Reason for all this is my transmission is going out in my 01 Wrx... And rather than put a whole tranny into it, were going to sell it to a poor soul and then pick up somethin reliable to accompany the S2k..
Old 04-06-2005, 07:23 PM

You could probably find a high milage Accord V6 way more frequent than even a Vtec Del Sol. The Civic SI will just have a higher price for the fact that it's the King Civic as of now.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 PM

The del Sol VTEC will be the performance choice, especially if you chose the 95 model (which was the best). Very light weight. It and the Prelude (stock) dominated the Honda perf areas in the 90s with the GSR integra close but losing due to weight. Most guys I knew could pull mid 15's on a stock del Sol at a drag strip.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:13 PM

How about you guys post your Del Sol pics
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forgive the wheels. They were on the car when I bought it. I miss this car. What a blast to drive!! I wish I still had it. I would love to own another. There were only 500 ever sold in the states in this color, and I loved not seeing them everywhere. I sold it to an import shop owner and he proceeded to ruin it by exchanging the sweet Mugen exhaust with some rice can, adding a HUGE spoiler, and some crappy body kit. At least he put a decent set of wheels on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:31 AM

I don't think you'll find an Accord V6 6-speed for anywhere near 8k. It came out in 2003 I believe. I'm not sure if the 6 speed was available right away.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 AM

I love my del sol!!!

Bought it in 99 with 30,000mi it now has 90,000 it was my daily driver for 2 years but other than that i have always had a company car. I have gotten anywhere from 18-33 mpg.

If you can find a nice one i recomend it, Civic Si's still draw a premium and have no targa top

Quick Reply: Honda Accord V6, Vtec Del Sol, Civic Si Coupe...