Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

hit someone

Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit someone

hey guys, quick synopsis, i hit someone and damaged their bumper, since the damege was minimal we decided it could be settled privatley, i am going to have him sign a contract or something or sorts, anything specific in which i should elaborate on...essentially i jsut dont want him complaining afterwards of other crap so any advice is welcome..thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just use your insurance. that's what it's there for. you can never trust anyone these days.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM

I did this once -- I hit someone from behind and I admitted fault and we never called the police. I ended up paying $100 for a new bumper cover.

I may be wrong, but if the police were never called and a report filed, then they have no claim and no proof that you even hit them.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 PM

^ a good crook may take your cash AND make an insurance claim. btw, the guy was an idiot for taking merely $100. a bumper cover will cost more than that, and if the cover needs to be painted, that's at least a $500 damage.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:58 PM

if you really want to be safe, make sure the guy doesn't get any personal or insurance info from you. as long as he has that info, he can always make a claim if he chooses to and deny ever having received any money from you. and even if you try to prove that you had paid him off in cash, you are still revealing that you have committed a crime cuz you were involved in an accident and did not report it to the dmv. either way, i could never trust a stranger, so you are just best off letting insurance deal with it.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:04 PM

The guy wasn't a fool -- he was honest and appreciated the fact I admitted guilt. He owned a body shop and charged me cost for what was an old car anyway.

I still don't see how an insurance claim can be filed if no police report has been made.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM

you don't need a police report to file an insurance claim.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM

if the guy makes any sort of substantial claim there will have to be a police report.

Whatever...it's a judgement call. At any rate it can be done.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Keep it away from insurance, a mere 100 dollars is far better than the rate insurance will go up after you are deemed accident prone not to mention your deductible is probably more than that anyways
my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM

^ yeah, but the thing with insurance is that it will protect you from any additional expense. what if the guy wakes up the next morning, has a sore neck, and goes to see a doctor. that expense will be incurred as part of the cost of damage/expense of the accident.

Quick Reply: hit someone