Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hiccup in Private Party Sale

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ndfan
You raise a good point about paying for the PPI. I have since wondered if I could have declined to pay for it if the seller backed out. I think the primary leverage for a mechanic is having (and retaining) possession of a car until payment is made. In the end, I might have been able to stick the seller with the PPI charge, but the seller certainly would not have then decided to sell the car to me. In a twisted way, I think paying for the inspection made the seller feel more compelled to sell me the car even though she had higher offers.
By no means am I saying to stick it to a decent seller, but if they were to back out, I'd imagine the shop would go after the owner. Case in point, my home warranty didn't pay a contractor, so the contractor came after me (I quickly worked it out).

Glad it worked out for you. Shows that the seller was a decent person.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
When I sold my S2000 I had a bunch of offers. I went first come first serve and the kid was really nice. I had others call back and offer a couple thousand over what we agreed on but my word is good.

Two weeks later all my parts were on Craigslist (work wheels, suspension, etc) and then the car, back to stock, for 2.5k more than he paid.

People suck and I'm too nice.
Unless he said he'd drive it personally and not part it out you may have just undervalued the car. Personally these days I don't care if someone says they will wax it and lick it clean every day, I don't care what you do with it after you buy it and I certainly don't give anyone a discount or under value the car because I think it will go to a "good home".
Old 10-31-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by rnye' timestamp='1446054322' post='23788526
When I sold my S2000 I had a bunch of offers. I went first come first serve and the kid was really nice. I had others call back and offer a couple thousand over what we agreed on but my word is good.

Two weeks later all my parts were on Craigslist (work wheels, suspension, etc) and then the car, back to stock, for 2.5k more than he paid.

People suck and I'm too nice.
Unless he said he'd drive it personally and not part it out you may have just undervalued the car. Personally these days I don't care if someone says they will wax it and lick it clean every day, I don't care what you do with it after you buy it and I certainly don't give anyone a discount or under value the car because I think it will go to a "good home".
That was kind of the deal. He kept telling me how much he loved it and how he had seen it around town for years and wanted to build one the same. Was going to drive it forever, blah blah blah. I was happy to see it go to a good home and to get to se it around town but it didn't work out like that. Who knows, maybe he had some money issues coms up or something?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Not sure where the complaint came from about the sale where the buyer "flipped" the car a few weeks later. Isn't there a Brit TV show like this where they worked on a S2000? Once bought it's bought. If the owner wants to take a sledge hammer to it it's his car.

Desirable cars (boats and houses) listed "or best offer" doesn't mean best offer under the listing price. Best offer is best offer. Sellers are advised to wait and play the bidders against each other. Taking the first offer, even it it meets the listing price is not necessary.

-- Chuck
Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If I was selling a car and getting offers straight up, why would I bother with any buyer that wanted a ppi?
Read the original post again. Pay attention to the sequence of events
Old 11-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ndfan
Anyway, I have recounted this story to a few friends, and nobody really has a good suggestion to avoid paying for an inspection but still risk losing out on a car. The only solution I can dream-up would be drafting "pre-purchase agreement" to set the terms of sale contingent on a favorable inspection. Unfortunately, I don't think such an agreement would be easy to enforce, and I think it probably would scare off some sellers who might already be averse to adding further complication to private transactions that already can be complicated.
When I bought my Porsche (used), it was contingent on an inspection. I had a signed purchase agreement and put down a $1500 deposit before having a PPI done on the car. If the PPI found any issues, I got my deposit back. But it guaranteed me the car if everything checked out (which it did).