Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help with new bike

Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Help with new bike

Please help, mother-in-law has recruited me to help find present for father-in-law's 50th birthday. She wants to get him a bike. We're pretty sure he wants a Honda. He used to ride, but probably not for 25+ years, and he was in Europe before. Now in USA. We're looking towards the VTX1300, but ideas are appreciated. Pros/cons we should know about, personal experiences are a plus. This will not be a sport bike. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Will,Dec 3 2004, 02:13 PM
Please help, mother-in-law has recruited me to help find present for father-in-law's 50th birthday. She wants to get him a bike. We're pretty sure he wants a Honda. He used to ride, but probably not for 25+ years, and he was in Europe before. Now in USA. We're looking towards the VTX1300, but ideas are appreciated. Pros/cons we should know about, personal experiences are a plus. This will not be a sport bike. Thanks a bunch guys!
That's a tough one. Though you can't go wrong with Honda, Yamaha has some really nice looking cruisers also (they seem to have a bigger selection too).

What kind of riding is he going to want to do? Travel? Tour? short trips around town?

The VTX line is a full on cruiser with a feet out riding position and a bit heavyish for a rider that hasn't been riding for 25+ years. Hell it's heavy for me and I have been riding for the last 20+ years.

How are you gonna work that? Have the bike delivered?

What about any riding gear?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM

If I was to look into a crusier type of bike

I really like the Yamaha Road Star Warrior (in the Black-out style)

Road Star Warrior
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 PM

This is exactly why I posted this here. I wasn't thinking about the weight... he might be able to handle it okay (he's a hands-on contractor) but if he has to wrestle with it all the time then maybe it won't be as fun as it could be. We like the look of the VTX, but a smaller engine would be okay by us. As long as it's not a sport bike pretty much. Any other suggestions, smaller bikes maybe? He's about 5'9" and around 160-170 lbs.

P.S., to answer your other question, this won't be for traveling. Quick trips around town I imagine, trips shorter than 1 hour each direction for sure.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Dec 3 2004, 01:17 PM
If I was to look into a crusier type of bike

I really like the Yamaha Road Star Warrior (in the Black-out style)

Road Star Warrior
that looks cool also, but has a bigger engine than the VTX...? Think it might be tough for him to handle?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:31 PM

Think it might be tough for him to handle?

that depends on his skill level, but if he has ridden before I would say no. Can't really go wrong with either of these bikes. If it were me I would get the warrior, but I have ridden the vtx and its probably the best cruiser I have had the chance to ride. I have no doubts that the yamaha is at least as good as the vtx. Good luck with your descision.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Will,Dec 3 2004, 05:30 PM
This is exactly why I posted this here. I wasn't thinking about the weight... he might be able to handle it okay (he's a hands-on contractor) but if he has to wrestle with it all the time then maybe it won't be as fun as it could be. We like the look of the VTX, but a smaller engine would be okay by us. As long as it's not a sport bike pretty much. Any other suggestions, smaller bikes maybe? He's about 5'9" and around 160-170 lbs.

P.S., to answer your other question, this won't be for traveling. Quick trips around town I imagine, trips shorter than 1 hour each direction for sure.
The weight if most bikes doesn't really matter when you are moving. Some are just tricky to handle in low speed situations.

As far as cruisers go bigger engines don't really equate to tons more power and the chassis all weigh about the same.

I think a cruiser bike is perfect for short trips. I like the Yamaha because its designed with some handling in mind also.

Don't forget to get him some good new riding gear also.
There are too many A-holes on the road and varying traffic conditions today vs 20 years ago. You may even want to sign him up for a MSF refresher course

George

Old 12-07-2004, 02:05 PM

The Warrior is my favorite cruiser - it'll kick the shit out of any VTX...but, not a great re-entry bike unless he has good throttle control and discipline.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on the Harley Davidson VRSC? I think those look badass; how do they compare to the Hondas and Yamahas? I know they are more $$ but that's not really the issue. The Dyna Glide and Softtails are cheaper but not by much and I don't think they look as good.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:40 PM

The V-rod is a cool bike (for a Harley )

Probably the worse choice here for a born again rider its the most powerful I believe and way more expensive.

I am just partial to the Japanese bikes myself.

Besides the Harley purists don't even acknowledge the V-rod since it's water cooled.

Quick Reply: Help with new bike