Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help Needed: People from the LA Area please!!!

Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed: People from the LA Area please!!!

I will briefly go into what happened:

My boss and CEO of the company I work for had bought a Suburban from a dealership in Ironton, PA called Vehicles, Inc. This dealership hired a company out of Los Angeles called Impact Auto Transport to transport the car to Topeka, KS.

Everything was done and the car delivered to Topeka. However, the driver called and met with my boss on a parking lot...car was examined, signed for and everything else. They were supposed to bring the car by a couple of hours later but the car was never delivered....

Long story short, Impact Auto Transport NEVER delivered the car and now they want storage fees, extra freight back and forth (supposedly the car is in LA) and other fines and fees. My boss has the title to the car and is more likely going to try to re-po it as he paid for it already and also already paid for the freight.

1. Can someone in the area please check to see if this company is in fact legit? They are unlisted on the web or phone book:

IMPACT AUTO TRANSPORT
213 N. GLENDALE
LOS ANGELES, CA 90026

2. The dealership is not being very helpful as now they are telling him that he signed for the car so delivery was issued.

Any ideas, suggestions? A police report has been filed and "auto theft" is the category of this...however, my boss neglicted to get insurance before taking delivery so no he is out of money for the car....

Thanks guys? T.I.T.S.?

Angel
Old 05-13-2004, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PHUNBALL
Old 05-13-2004, 10:47 AM

It's on my way home from work, so I'll drive by and see if there is such a company at that address. I'll try and get a phone number too. Any other info you might want?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rtmccoy
It's on my way home from work, so I'll drive by and see if there is such a company at that address.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:42 PM

I paid a visit to 213 Glendale Ave. First off, the Suburban is there. Besides being a little dirty, it looked to be in good shape. 213 Glendale Ave is actually a paint & body shop. After talking to the nephew of the owner, it seems to me they run the transport business on the side.

I pretended to be interested in shipping a car back east, and asked to be shown what type of cars they were transporting. They had about 8 cars, including the Suburban, there to be shipped. Most were totaled cars; the Suburban was the best car/truck there. He explained that most cars stay there about 4 days before being shipped to their destination. I made a casual comment about the Suburban, using it as an example of how long shipping takes. He replied that the Suburban was an unusual case, and switched the conversation to another car.

Here's the information from the business card I received:

Telephone: 213-481-1976
Cell: 213-446-8974
Fax: 213-481-2055

The card says they are insured and lists the number "MC 457693."

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 05-13-2004, 11:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rtmccoy
I paid a visit to 213 Glendale Ave.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:01 AM

You should be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA careful with dealing with import/export companies in Glendale. I've done numerous web sites for those companies (for pretty much all of them), and know all the ins and outs of how they run. They're the shadiest bunch of people you will EVER meet in your life.

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but I'm not at all surprised at what happened. The guys there were probably just delaying shipping because they wanted to show their buddies the vehicle. Next thing you know you'll smell smoke in their because they all smoke and disregard any and all common rules of conduct. If you find so much as a speck of dust that seems out of place, PM me, I make it my life to give these bastards a hard time. I can arrange to have this taken care of by people who actually care.

jshmoe
Old 05-14-2004, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not in Cali, but should'nt his current insurance policy cover any new car purchases for 30 days from the actual purchase?? I know policy's may differ, but I think most have some grace period (i.e., bought the car on Friday night, but the insurance office is not open until Monday morning).

I don't know for sure, but I think if your boss never actually took possesion of the car then it will not be covered by his insurance. At least I'm pretty sure that is how it is in California. I think the insurance company takes the position that whether you have the papers or not, if you never had the car your not covered.

Don't take my word for it though.
good luck.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops, the first paragraph is a quote.

Quick Reply: Help Needed: People from the LA Area please!!!