Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help me decide on my purchase

Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well heres exactly what happened...i shifted into fourth goin about 23-25 mph. i proceeded goin north on lincoln and pratt. the back end swung out and i steered vigorously to the left to avoid a lady in the van on the right lane. sadly, when i avoided her i hit the island separating the lanes of oncoming traffic. the island made the front of my car get airborne and i smashed into a concrete pole.

well i do like the s4 because of the luxury and performance combined. i am only 22 and cant imagine myself driving and evo or sti later on in life. no offense to those owners or the car, i just like the simple look of the s4. but anyways, i have bad stories about audi and mitsu's reliability with their cars. my buddies sti is flawless and has put about 40k with no problems. im so confused.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Between those 3 cars, I'd probably go with the STI, because it looks slightly LESS ugly than the others. But I'd go for something else besides those.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:05 PM

S4, Sti, Evo in that order
Old 01-25-2005, 02:10 PM

I've owned an Evo, driven (and ordered and then cancelled) an S4 and driven several STis.

Here's the scoop:

S4 is very very nice inside and out, but understeers badly, is very thirsty at the pump and INCREDIBLY expensive to repair should any of the electronics crap out after warranty. I would only get one if you are going to lease it or own it short-term. Besides, the RS4 is coming.

STi is a very good car as well. It tends to understeer more than an Evo, but is also a little faster when both are stock. If you like the styling, go for it.

Personally, I'd get an '05 Evo MR or wait for the '06 Evo IX due around Sept. My friend Scot bought an '03 Evo after driving mine and he has had back and neck problems, too. The Recaros work well for him.

Decide your priority (fun or pimping) and then pick accordingly.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brid,Jan 24 2005, 08:00 PM
well i totalled my s2k last thursday on bad Chicago streets so ive decided to go with awd and something more practical come winter time in Chicago. BTW the three cars are used so any input is appreciated. im not too concerned about upgrading performance on any of the three listed, i just need opinions to help ease my decision. ive ridden in a sti and drove an s4. the sti was a beast and well the s4 is almost there, just needs a chip. as far as the evo, no experience at all. i cant test drive one because i have a bad back and neck. if you guys can help out it would be great. thanks
Remember that the Evo and STi both have summer only tires as OEM....if you want to drive these cars in the winter, figure in alternative tires.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by brid,Jan 24 2005, 09:15 PM
ummm first of all i wasnt racing...the back end shot out and i spun out. just cuz i totalled it doesnt mean im a bad driver. dont make negative remarks if you dont know the actual story. btw i was goin 25 mph...oooohhhh thats street racing fast
1. I never said you were street racing.
2. Did you have snow tires? If not... THAT was the point I was trying to make.

Either get an all-season kind of car or put proper shoes on your performance car. The AWD won't help if you still have summer rubber on.

on your 25 mph shift to 4th.... you were really cruising at 2500 rpm when you felt the need to shift UP to 4th? And that was fast enough to total your car?

At that hp and torque, you wouldn't be bringing the tail around...

Did you shift mid-turn in snow on summer tires in your 3 month old S2000?

Oh well, I'm sure none of this will sink in anyway... have fun, be safe, and I hope you or your parents have some phenomenal insurance.

All this could have been avoided with $1000 in tires/wheels, a winter beater, or cab fare... instead, no S2k, back and neck pain, and a big fat insurance increase. My S won't come out in the heavy snow we've been having... AND I HAVE LM-22s.

But I guess I would rather cruise with the top down in the summer than total my car in the winter... they cost about the same.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:28 PM
FRM

Summer Car - S2K

Winter Car - 2006 Civic Si (200 hp)

Check out the new Civic Si at the Chicago Auto Show next month.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=319203
Old 01-26-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifted into 4th under 30mph and lost the back end?

You really should consider a FWD car with a beefy front sway bar.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FRM,Jan 26 2005, 11:28 PM
Winter Car - 2006 Civic Si (200 hp)

Check out the new Civic Si at the Chicago Auto Show next month.
I wonder if that car will be anything? (the 200hp civic)

Now that i have owned a 500hp cobra and my 300hp (roughly) evo with awd, I don't think i could ever go back to a fwd 200hp anything.

Long Live the Evo.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jan 27 2005, 06:07 AM
I wonder if that car will be anything? (the 200hp civic)
I will say no. Which is to say that I don't think it will exist in the US.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on my purchase