Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help me decide on my purchase

Old 01-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide on my purchase

well i totalled my s2k last thursday on bad Chicago streets so ive decided to go with awd and something more practical come winter time in Chicago. BTW the three cars are used so any input is appreciated. im not too concerned about upgrading performance on any of the three listed, i just need opinions to help ease my decision. ive ridden in a sti and drove an s4. the sti was a beast and well the s4 is almost there, just needs a chip. as far as the evo, no experience at all. i cant test drive one because i have a bad back and neck. if you guys can help out it would be great. thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM

[QUOTE]Hey guys, long time lurker. Anyways just got my 2002 sebring silver s2k last week. Amazing car and since it was broken in already lets say I've takin it in to VTEC a few times. LOL. Got it for 21000 after taxes with only 19500 miles. Hope to see some local Chicagoans around. Brian
Old 01-24-2005, 06:15 PM

ummm first of all i wasnt racing...the back end shot out and i spun out. just cuz i totalled it doesnt mean im a bad driver. dont make negative remarks if you dont know the actual story. btw i was goin 25 mph...oooohhhh thats street racing fast
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lancer evo. it's got better handling than the sti, and is just as quick. get the sti if you don't mind trading in slight handling for more torque. forget the s4. it's older and too damn heavy.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by brid,Jan 24 2005, 07:15 PM
ummm first of all i wasnt racing...the back end shot out and i spun out. just cuz i totalled it doesnt mean im a bad driver. dont make negative remarks if you dont know the actual story. btw i was goin 25 mph...oooohhhh thats street racing fast
Yeah, that fish tail is something you gotta watch out for and it's happened to more than a few of us. The handling on the S is definitely something you gotta get used to

Still, I'm surprised you couldn't regain control since you were only going 25...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 AM

Hmmm.......off the top of my head, the only way I can imagine totalling a car going 25mph is to roll it off a cliff.

Anyway, of those three, I'd probably pick the EVO or the S4. EVO would probably be more reliable, the S4 a little better in the bad weather. Keep in mind that these three cars all come with wide high performance summer tires, which suck to drive on in the snow, 4wd or not. For good snow and ice performance, a second set of wheels and snow tires wouldn't be a bad idea.
The problem there is that the STi has huge Brembo front calipers, over which very, very few wheels fit. The EVO is better in that regard, and the S4 better still.

-Mirror
Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 AM

something with stability control
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for Understeer--S4, STi and then Evo, in that order! You'll never lose the back end again!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S4 all the way!!!

If u can afford the new S4, great!
else you can get a 2000 for 20k and change.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

wow...you guys are tough... maybe he hit a patch of ice and slammed into a telephone pole sideways.???

anyway..... i like my Evo..... i have not even ridden in a S4 or an STI. The evo has been around with the same basic engine for years (overseas), so it is fairly reliable..... according to internet stories, everyone has problems with their Evo, but I have 16k abused miles and it runs great.

goodluck.....don't drive any car fast on shitty roads.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on my purchase