Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

help me buy my daughters college graduation present (car)!!!!

Old 03-05-2002, 09:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray
[B]Volvo C70, has optional Dolby Pro Logic system with Alpine V12 amp and speakers.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]Sorry, but I don't think the Accord, either in sedan or coupe trim is stylish or classy.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally posted by airgate

The budget is $30k or less. . .
Actually jss2k stated: "please give me suggestions on the right vehicle at or around $30.000"

So I think 31-32k would be within reason. There's always room to haggle!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Ray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by airgate

The budget is $30k or less. . .
Ok Volvo is pushing it, but the rest of the cars in my list is probably within budget.

When C70 first came out there was a 190HP version of the coupe that was under $35000.
Still there are a lot of used ones for sale on Autotrader.com

Might also want to check with people at http://www.swedespeed.com/

But I for one would choose Audi A4 either Sedan or Cabrio, Audi TT or Lexus IS300.

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Honda or Acura, with the exception of NSX and S2000.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:28 AM
dsp

Originally posted by jss2k
thank you all for the suggestions. it is very helpful. i guess i am leaning towards the accord. it seems to me the insurance would be lower than the bmw also, don't ya think?
hey, for $30k, you could get the Acura TL, which is essentially a really nice Accord V-6. even the 260hp TL-S is within range.

i also think that the IS300 and the 325i are very nice. or how about a Saab 9-3, or an Audi A4? btw, the volvo S40 is a badge-engineered Mitsubishi Carisma (sp?)

please no SUVs!

jss2k, i think it's great that you put so much thought into her graduation present. i bet she'll love whatever you decide on.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestSideBilly
[B]

So she's a typical woman?
Old 03-05-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this site is too kool! i can't believe how helpful you all are. i think i may just connect her with this link (this was gonna be a surprise) and let her decide.

ps - skibum and westsidebilly, you got my younger daughter pegged pretty accurately.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:03 PM

First of all, would you like to adopt me? I come equipped with a college degree and some post graduate work? Just kidding (unless you are willing to take me up on it )

There are a lot of great choices for the under $30K mark. Here's my two cents.

If your daughter puts a premium and space and being frugal, I suggest the new Honda CRV EX. Believe it or not, its fun to drive. It has all the space any single person could ever want. It gets great gas mileage. It's cheap to buy and cheap to own. It looks nice. It comes with just about every bell and whistle that you could want. It has a realistic approach to SUV's (based on a car so it handles well and has a 4WD system set up more for rain or light snow than heavy duty off roading). And it gets great gas mileage. As a Dad, I would feel good in knowing that the CRV has crash tested very well and the new EX has front and side airbags.

If your daughter puts a premium on luxury and style, I suggest either the Acura TL type S or the Lexus IS300. Both cars are incredible values and offer very rewarding driving experiences along with a premium badge. We just bought an IS300 for my fiance' and we couldnt' be happier. The choice was difficult between the two vehicles but the IS won in the end because of the RWD, better handling, and the Lexus experience. That being said, IMO, the TL-S is perhaps a better overall value. It has more power, more room, and more standard equipment. It's really a matter of personal choice, IMO. Both cars (at least here in S. CA) can be had for $29 -$31K depending on equipment levels (I'm not including tax, lic. registration, etc.). Again, as a Dad I would be happy to know that my daughter had a safe, comfy car that had plenty of safety built into them. The TL-S has front and side airbags. The IS matches this and adds head curtain bags.

If your daughter likes convertibles and doesn't need extra space, I highly recommend the Miata. No, it's not an S2K but that isn't all bad. The Miata is cheaper, has more reasonable limits (for road use) and is virtually indestructable. I had an M1 Miata before the S and it was strong as a bull even 5 years and 65K miles later. I gave it to my sister and she's still driving it today (now with 80K). I should also note that the Miata that I gave my sister replaced her 1990 Miata that she bought when new and put 160K trouble free miles on it in nearly 11 years of ownership. Unfortunately, like our cars the Miata does not have side airbags. However, they're pretty stout little cars and adapt at avoiding accidents.

There's a lot of other good recommends posted here already, so I think I'll cut myself short here. I will say this, when we bought my fiance' her IS about two months ago we did a similarl and exhaustive search for cars under $30K. I'm more than happy to share with you some additional insight if you want, please feel free to PM me. I will also add that I felt very good about putting my fiance' in a Lexus because of the way the dealership treats her. I am sure that there are bad Lexus dealerships out there, but as a rule, Lexus sets the standard for customer satisfaction. That makes a difference to me because I know and have witnessed that from the moment my fiance' walks in or drives up, she is treated with respect, fairness and courtesy. Something that unfortunately isn't the case all that often at other dealerships for women.

Good luck and again, please feel free to PM me if there's any other insight I can share with you.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the crv is a great idea, but that's my non-s2k car now and i think it would be a bit too practical. all your observations about it are right on however. i think you are getting very close with the acura - lexus recomendations. this baord has, in two days, saved on a lot of research time.

i also really appreciate that i have not gotten any 'spoiled girl' flames. this girl has worked hard all her life and never driven a decent car.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:23 PM

How about a VW Passat with all wheel drive.

My neighbor just bought one. He can't stop talking about it.

Quick Reply: help me buy my daughters college graduation present (car)!!!!