Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Has anybody seen Mercedes prices lately?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, I don't know about the C or E classes, but the SL and S prices have not suddenly jumped that dramatically. E.g., I think the base SL was around $90K in 2004 and it's been creeping up by a thousand or 2 annually for a while.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Feb 17 2009, 08:59 AM
In the end, the dollar has been at its strongest against the Euro and BP in years, and weakest against the Yen in like a decade. Also, remember not too long ago that $1 = $1 Canadian? Now, $1 = 1.25 CAD. It's also up against the Australian too, as well as most of the world's.

So, it's false to say that the dollar is weaker around the world when it's actually the opposite. It's actually stronger against most of the world's currencies, save for a few.
This is a bad analogy...

The Canadian dollar is more directly tied to commodity prices. When commodity prices are high for things like oil/precious metals, ect. the Canadian dollar strengthens because that is what makes the Canadian market tick. So, when the dollar was at par (or even higher than the American), the reason was more related to the strength of the commodity market than the strength or weakness of the American dollar.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Feb 17 2009, 10:25 AM
This is a bad analogy...

The Canadian dollar is more directly tied to commodity prices. When commodity prices are high for things like oil/precious metals, ect. the Canadian dollar strengthens because that is what makes the Canadian market tick. So, when the dollar was at par (or even higher than the American), the reason was more related to the strength of the commodity market than the strength or weakness of the American dollar.
I didn't say the dollar's strength was the only factor. Geez! In fact, there are many many factors. But the end result speaks for itself, meaning the dollar is not as weak as people seem to perceive. The exchange rate is the end result. You go to those countries, the dollar is now worth more than months or years ago. That's all there is to it - very simple!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Feb 17 2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't say the dollar's strength was the only factor. Geez! In fact, there are many many factors. But the end result speaks for itself, meaning the dollar is not as weak as people seem to perceive. The exchange rate is the end result. You go to those countries, the dollar is now worth more than months or years ago. That's all there is to it - very simple!
comparative to just about a year ago, you would be correct. The American dollar is stronger. However, from a historical perpective (ie-2,3 years ago), it is not. We are about at the same place or in a worse position. Especially against the yen.

Further, as somone else noted, this is before the American dollar gets pounded again, most likely this year. I would not be suprised if the dollar goes to new LOWS against most other currencies very soon.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Feb 17 2009, 10:31 AM
comparative to just about a year ago, you would be correct. The American dollar is stronger. However, from a historical perpective (ie-2,3 years ago), it is not. We are about at the same place or in a worse position. Especially against the yen.

Further, as somone else noted, this is before the American dollar gets pounded again, most likely this year. I would not be suprised if the dollar goes to new LOWS against most other currencies very soon.
I already said the Yen is excluded. In fact, Yen is up against the dollar at its highest level in like a decade. I haven't done research for 2-3 years ago, but my memory recalls that the Euro and BP were worth much more than they are now. Regardless, at this very moment, the dollar is enjoying some high exchange rates. For example, if you go to England, for every dollar, you'd get about .70 pounds to spend, as apposed to .50 like some time ago.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Feb 17 2009, 10:36 AM
I already said the Yen is excluded. In fact, Yen is up against the dollar at its highest level in like a decade. I haven't done research for 2-3 years ago, but my memory recalls that the Euro and BP were worth much more than they are now. Regardless, at this very moment, the dollar is enjoying some high exchange rates. For example, if you go to England, for every dollar, you'd get about .70 pounds to spend, as apposed to .50 like some time ago.
do some research...

The Euro was at 1.19 just three years ago (Feb, 2006)
The Pound was at 1.73, so we have been gaining against the pound (however, this is a product of many factors, not the strength of the US dollar)
The Canadian dollar was at 1.39 just 4 years ago (May 2004) and was even higher than that just 6 years ago. (almost 1.56).

I will repeat, we are not seeing "high" exchange rates. And these "high" exchange rates are very temporary... so enjoy it.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't pay for a mercedes with someone else's money.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney,Feb 17 2009, 09:29 AM
Also, I don't know about the C or E classes, but the SL and S prices have not suddenly jumped that dramatically. E.g., I think the base SL was around $90K in 2004 and it's been creeping up by a thousand or 2 annually for a while.
I just checked the 09 E Class against my 08 and the price is relatively the same with the same options, but the 09 has some upgrades over mine.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECale3,Feb 17 2009, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't pay for a mercedes with someone else's money.
Yes you would.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by KeithMajkasays,Feb 17 2009, 11:38 AM
Yes you would.
Lmao!

Quick Reply: Has anybody seen Mercedes prices lately?