Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Harbor Freight jack stands recall

Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Yeah after the first recall I figured this wasnt worth a second try, literally bit the bullet and just bought a set of esco and then this dropped. Glad I made the decision I made.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Yeah after the first recall I figured this wasnt worth a second try, literally bit the bullet and just bought a set of esco and then this dropped. Glad I made the decision I made.
All it takes is a few close calls. Especially working around heavy objects, electricity, or water --- to see and sometimes feel, the LIGHT!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

When I went to return all 4 Harbor Freight Jack Stands there were already videos showing that the replacement stands had the same pawl issues, not being made to spec and having very little or odd contact with the teeth. I was going to inspect the replacement one for these defects but they didn't have any. They could only issue a store credit. I asked if they could just provide a refund (I knew they wouldn't due to the replacement terms) and the clerk said they can't because if they did "they would run out of money". Whatever that means... I took the credit and walked around for 25 minutes and couldn't find anything to buy. I'm already turned off by their quality from this, but they have also changed the store lineup and it felt more like a Home Depot inside. Gone were a lot of the smaller items I would usually pick up, their electronics section was replaced with a home / garden / lawn section.

When I saw a video of the new weld splitting issue on the replacements, I decided to buy stands that I can pass on to my grandkids and purchased 4 of the US Jack 3 Ton MADE IN AMERICA (**** YEAH!) stands. The only stands still made in the good 'ole US and A. It costs more but I'm just so sick and tired of Chinese garbage that doesn't last or puts my life in danger. I will give these to my grand kids, and they will say, "Grandpa Thomas Guide, tell us the story again of the great jack stand recall of 2020..." "ah, gather around little chitlins, that was the time your old pop-pop decided to make a concerted effort to buy American made products instead of ChiCom junk..."

The US Jack stands have a dual tooth locking mechanism and it can only be disengaged if you pull the stand up (so it cannot collapse down if there is weight on it), it has American made welds, American quality control and I believe their 3 ton per pair rating over Chinese claims of the same.

I am happy to pay more for American made products and tools, I never put a Chinese knock off product in my S2000, and I spend extra money on quality tools and make sure almost nothing is made in China in my garage. There are many others like myself that would also pay more for American made products as evidenced by the 1+ month back-order of US Jack stands.

Here is a video of the weld splitting on the replacement jacks, along with a coupon code for the US Jack stands.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I thought those US Jacks, but goddamn they're expensive. Yes yes is my life worth it, of course, but this isnt rocket science, just needs to be well made.

In retrospect, this may have been the time to buy quick jacks...