Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hang on GM, Toyota is adding one more Hybrid

Old 05-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hang on GM, Toyota is adding one more Hybrid

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-0...id_x.htm?csp=34

Is it just me? Or anybody is seeing that Toyota is just keep on coming up with innovative products which will ultimately eating away GM and Ford's market shares in the U.S. market.

When will we see the Malibu or G6 hybrid hit the market? Oh, I forget, they are still trying to give away(almost) Tahoe, excursion, avalanche.......

Damn, the Japanese once again is taking the leadership role in new automotive technology.

Can someone remind me we sent our money and expertise to Japan after WWII and helped them revived their devastated economy?

Back in the first gas crisis in the 70's, the Japanese kicked our asses with their more fuel efficient cars. Now in the 21st century, they are making hybrid cars with 51mpg and we are still no where near that (with the exception of Ford Escape Hybrid). BTW, the American automotive industry is still sooooo in love with those 10ish mpg big ass trucks and SUV. Are we repeating history here?

And why we are soooooo behind?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if they will do as many hybrids if a new EPA fuel economy test is implemented?

I wonder how many people would pay for a Prius or other hybrid if they saw that the actual MPG gains were not that great. How many people would by a Prius if they were told it got 44mpg rather than 50-60?

PS: My post isn't anti-Toyota or Honda, just a question.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:31 PM

MPG figures are done in a specific lab control environment. I doubt that if any cars on the road will match the MPG figures of their cars and trucks.

Pirus is not the exception here. Because its selling point is superior fuel economy. The discrepancy of the actual and published MPG figures are under more scrutiny. That's all.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:43 PM

I think that the U.S. dealers (GM, Ford, Dodge) think that Americans are afraid of change. Their products stagnate for long periods of time. Yeah, they update or freshen the design, but its still the same. With the exception of Dodge, a little bit any way, the next generations of vehicles almost always resemble the previous model. The overseas companies build their product for a 4-5 yr average then go into a whole new vehicle. The vehicle is usually all new, very seldom resembles the previous model, giving it a really fresh look.

Again, the technology is there, but they are too afraid to put it in to production thinking people might not like it.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,May 13 2005, 12:31 PM
MPG figures are done in a specific lab control environment. I doubt that if any cars on the road will match the MPG figures of their cars and trucks.

Pirus is not the exception here. Because its selling point is superior fuel economy. The discrepancy of the actual and published MPG figures are under more scrutiny. That's all.
actually, my S2000 achieves 28-30 MPG my first year of ownership b/c I was pussyfooting it.
Now I'm getting 20-23MPG.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM

my s2k always gives me 24-25mpg... pretty close to EPA Ratings...

my STi always gives me 20mpg... right in between EPA ratings too

My Si always gives me 28-30mpg... same thing

I understand what you guys mean about the Prius though...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 PM

The Prius is known by most owners that the first 5 minutes of operation yields only about 35mpg on cold start. Then it gets a lot closer to EPA averages afterward.

I did some experimenting on my wife's Prius. My normal commute is only 10 minutes (6 miles). Driving near or a little above posted speed limits. Yield.... 42mpg. Then tested it like EPA.... Warmed up the Prius in my driveway, then drove the same commute route.... YIELD 55mpg. That is pretty close to EPA averages for my mix freeway/street driving.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,May 13 2005, 12:22 PM
I wonder if they will do as many hybrids if a new EPA fuel economy test is implemented?

I wonder how many people would pay for a Prius or other hybrid if they saw that the actual MPG gains were not that great. How many people would by a Prius if they were told it got 44mpg rather than 50-60?

PS: My post isn't anti-Toyota or Honda, just a question.
The EPA supposedly is planning to use a new rating system (Car and Driver), which has 3 ratings: Agressive driving, normal, and air condition with outside temperature at 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

This sounds like a good idea to build a hybrid factory here; its about time they produce a hybrid that actually saves money in the short-run (less than 10 years)! I hope Honda follows.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Banned

hybrids are a fad, imho.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,May 14 2005, 02:07 AM
hybrids are a fad, imho.
I agree, there's a lot of unanswered question regarding long-term hybrid ownership. How much is a replacement battery pack? How long will it last? How long with the extremely complex drive system last? What will it cost to fix it?

Additionally, if you do a lot of highway driving, you dragging around several hundred pounds of battries that are doing you very little good.

Quick Reply: Hang on GM, Toyota is adding one more Hybrid