Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

H2, RangeRover, G-wagon?

Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by steve c

Oops, I misread and thought she meant the Merc SUV/Minivan's, not the G wagon.

I agree with the 4runner.
Oops...you posted as I was responding...please disregard my post as a rant, but I shall leave the post for the factual content....
Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Former Moderator

The H2 on it's best day is simply an overprices Chevy Tahoe/Suburban...with the commensurate offroading capabilities. In other words, if it involves a rock bigger than a coffee cup you might want to just get out and walk instead... Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but the Tahoe/Suburban platform is NOT a good offroader. It'll do ok going up rutted dirt roads and such, but does not make for a very confidence inspiring ride...
Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you guys for all the good info so far.....

4 Runners must be very good vehicles, because I have heard nothing but good things about them on this site, so I will definitly have to check them out....

Has anyone had any experience with the Avalanche?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Former Moderator

In my opinion the Avalanche falls into the same category as the Tahoe/Suburban, because that's the platorm it's based on as well. It'll definitely drive like a VERY BIG TRUCK. Not the crispest handling nor the most stable feeling ride, but it DOES have the flexibility of being a full length bed or a crew cab depending on your needs. I have no long-term experience with how practical or weather tight the pass-through is, though...
Old 07-28-2003, 10:49 AM

Depending on your actual off road usage the BMW X5 or the Lexus GX470 are nice but I would be hesitant to beat up my $50K+ SUV off road. You might want to consider an Xterra if you're really going to be off road that much.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:59 AM

Go with the 4Runner. Save youself the repairs headache and $$$
Old 07-28-2003, 11:11 AM

ok, this is my area of expertise (hence username). The current most capable offroad vehicle out of the box is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. That will do it all for you. The G-wagon and Hummer H1 are also the real deal. The Hummer is no good for any sort of tight track for obvious reasons, also the independent suspension has its plusses and minuses, basically if you're going to be doing highspeed offroad on relatively flat ground it's very good, if you're going lower speeds in rockier terrain it's bad. If you want something cool and used, a Land Rover D90 is a great vehicle and very capable and fun to own. I wouldn't buy it if you're opposed to doing your own maintenance though. The H2 is the least capable vehicle mentioned so far.

All that being said, for whatever reason i get the impression that you are greatly underestimating the capabilities of any of these trucks. My guess is that any would be perfectly fine for your use. When i say the Gwagon, H1 and Rubicon are all very capable, i mean VERY capable. More capable than you would ever need to just get somewhere. If you have any questions or would like more detail on anything PM me.

-Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by steve c
I agree with the 4runner.
So do I. I just bought a '99 4Runner Limited with 4wd. It is a great truck. Leather, climate control, etc... And, most importantly, BOTH CENTRAL AND REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIALS. This thing could go anywhere and at the same time it drives like a Cadillac. I am 110% pleased. Plus, I know that when I get to wherever I am going, I know this truck will bring me back home. That is a lot more than I could say for any General Motors or Range Rover product.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Did you consider the Porsche Cayenne;very nice Suv and very good on and off-road.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:25 PM

new Vee-Dub? Pilot? basically you need something competant in snow/slush/gravel, right? if you want that without spending a huge wad of cash and the inherent quality concerns of those higher priced brands(funny how that is, eh?) I'd say you might even be able to get away with something as small as a Nissan XTerra, perhaps with the optional supercharger. apparently it's highly competant off-road and in rugged/low grip road situations, will carry a whole crapload of gear, and you can beat up on it without feeling too bad. I wouldn't want leather if you're looking for a vehicle like that.

The touraeg combines superb luxury with real off road capability, and the only concern i'd have is VW's legendary quality

Pilot: more luxury than I'd ever need or want, plenty capable off road, the cheapest of the luxo-barges. won't attract any attention, which seems like your cup o' tea.

4 Runner: a great vehicle, I've heard it's very capable off the beaten trail and with the toyota nameplate I'd expect it to deliver reliability as well.

basically there are car based SUV's and Truck based SUV's. the Car based models will drive and ride nicer, afford the driver and occupants greater luxury, but sacrifice some ground clearance and off road mountain goat ability. the truck based ones will be stiff and unwieldy on road, but give greater versatility when the road gets rugged. it's a trade off, personally I'd write off all of the vehicles you mentioned, one for being an overpriced, under performing, hideous and ill conceived american POS, the other two for being poorly built, overpriced, unnecessarily capable, voracious consumers of $100 bills for fuel/fluid/maintenacne costs. but it's your dough man....

(notice NO american built SUV's made my list.)

Quick2K

Quick Reply: H2, RangeRover, G-wagon?