Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

H2, RangeRover, G-wagon?

Old 07-28-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H2, RangeRover, G-wagon?

Ok guys....I know that I am about to get for this one, but I am gonna ask it anyway.

I am in the market for an SUV to keep my S2k company. I live on the border of WV and VA and need something that will definitly be great for offroading and crazy winters....

I like the H2 because of the fact that it's big, will climb 16" verticle incline, and has a locking differential. However, it does attract a lot of attention, and I don't like that too much...but then again I think who cares?

I like the RangeRover for obvious reasons...c'mon it's a RangeRover! But it and the Benz are a good bit higher in price than the H2.

I am gonna be picking one of these up soon but wanted to know everyones opinions on them and . I am trying to weigh my options at this point.

Whichever vehicle I get will be used 50% offroad, 50% onroad.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:43 AM

Why anyone would want to offroad a $50K+ vehicle with a plush interior I will never understand. Wouldn't you have more fun and wouldn't it make more sense to buy a cheapo Jeep Wrangler and get something on top of that for your daily driving?

Anyways, I'll take the BMW-powered Range Rover sittin' on 22" chromes anyday over the other two. H2 is straight out played out. Interior sucks. American car, but probably the best offroading car in your selection. The G-Unit is nice, rare, but just not good enough to pass over the Rover.

Good luck,
Old 07-28-2003, 08:44 AM

I think the new VW Touraeg would be a great choice. V8, air suspension, very nice interior/exterior for ~$50k with all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:52 AM

If you really don't want to attract attention and you want something comfortable, reliable and capable off road then get a Toyota 4-Runner, Acura MDX or a Honda Pilot. All are considerably less than the vehicles you mentioned and probably won't offer the same off road capabilities but will certainly do the job.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

H2, won't go off road in most places without getting stuck due to weight and turning radius.

Mercedes, just won't go offroad period.

Land Rover, will go off road.

None of these cars would be my pick; and I can't believe you will actually use it 50 percent of the time off road, unless you consider gravel roads "off-road."
Old 07-28-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by steve c
H2, won't go off road in most places without getting stuck due to weight and turning radius.

None of these cars would be my pick; and I can't believe you will actually use it 50 percent of the time off road, unless you consider gravel roads "off-road."
Well you probably right about the 50% offroad, probably more like 30%, but I do A LOT of mountain biking and rock climbing, and a lot of those places around here are just almost impossible to get to without something made for that sort of thing.

It's hard to believe that the Benz has no offroad capabilties.....

True there are a lot cheaper 4X4s out there that would probably come close to these 3, but these 3 are the ones that stick out in my mind...

If you don't mind me asking...what would be your pick?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:36 AM

NO NO NO on the Range rover, you need two of them just so you have something to drive while the other is in the shop, same with the G-wagon. Mercedes is crap for quality these days. I guess I would get the H2 or get the even smaller H3 next year out of these.

The G-wagon looks the best but be ready for constant warranty repairs as it falls apart before your very eyes.
MAtt

ps I'm in the car business, so take it for what it is worth
Old 07-28-2003, 09:53 AM

The G-wagon is the miliatary support vehicle in Germany(similar to our H1). It has 3 locking diffentials, and before it was beautified, it was considered a hard core suv. I pretty sure it can go off - road.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't pick any of these vehicles to be my winter beater. a used 4-runner, or a new 4runner based on your info so far.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The G-wagon is the miliatary support vehicle in Germany
Oops, I misread and thought she meant the Merc SUV/Minivan's, not the G wagon.

I agree with the 4runner.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I take it you've never driven a G-wagon, steve? They are probably one of THE most capable off road vehicles ever made. They have optional locking front rear and center differentials. They have the ability to continue forward motion even if only ONE wheel still has traction. They have been used by the German military (as well as numerous other militaries around the world) as their answer to the Jeep or Hummer for decades.

Is the version imported the the US overpriced? Absolutely. However, to question it's capabilities offroad is ludicrous at best...

Quick Reply: H2, RangeRover, G-wagon?