Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

H2 - group drive -

Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The penis example was just an example. It can be anything. Feeling of inferiority, etc. The information about it (minus the penis example) was from a book on drivers psychology. It tries to explain to the reader why people act like they do in traffic.

I personally know of several very short, scrawny women who want, and buy, the biggest, baddest SUV's they can get, and have horrible road rage.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

That must be why I want a Lotus Elise, because I have an extremely LARGE .....well, anywho.......
Old 05-12-2004, 11:08 AM

cool, i try to keep that inferiority stuff out of my argument cuz it's so subjective and all it does is just create chaos i agree with you that inferiority does indeed play a part for *some* people, but i think large SUV sales are more-so due to the subconscious fear factor like i mentioned in my previous post where people think they're safer in a larger and heavier vehicle. getting back to the inferiority, the fact that in larger vehicles you tend sit higher and look down on other vehicles would indeed induce a sense of superiority over others. at least that's what i felt when i sat in a rental corolla

but it's good to hear at least you have some basis for your 'penis' example

Originally posted by Mikko
The penis example was just an example. It can be anything. Feeling of inferiority, etc. The information about it (minus the penis example) was from a book on drivers psychology. It tries to explain to the reader why people act like they do in traffic.

I personally know of several very short, scrawny women who want, and buy, the biggest, baddest SUV's they can get, and have horrible road rage.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:09 AM

Whew, what a post! Anyway, I agree with many of Mikko's points, and somewhat agree with others. At the end of the day, an interesting read nonetheless.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:34 AM

Mikko,

Most of your arguement is based on the fact that the large vehicle of choice will never or almost never be used for its intended purpose. While that may be the case in some instances, it certainly isn't in all.

One of our vehicles is a Suburban. We use it for family trips, as well as occasional towing and hauling. Not sure what else we would have bought to accomplish our needs. It get driven around everyday with one or two people in it. It also gets driven many days full up. If you saw me in traffic you might see it with just me or you might see it with seven people and boat attached. For us, it didn't seem to make sense to buy two vehicles and pay the redundant associated costs just so we could drive the one that most closely fit our need at the moment.

One could make the same arguement for/against performance cars. If you aren't driving flat out at any given moment then you are wasting resources and/or vehicle potential.

As for safety, I guess if the Suburban is killing me, it's killing me slow.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:20 PM

Which is more than you can say for the guy driving the Civic in the event there is a collision.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:59 PM

So guy driving a Civic runs a red light and gets hit by guy driving large SUV. Guy in Civic dies and guy in SUV walks away. And you blame the SUV for that accident because it is unsafe? Should we force everybody to drive the same kind of car with same weight? Can't the Civic driver choose to drive something different? What about motorcycles - should they be outlawed because the weight differential and collision characteristics surely imply they are deadly?

I agree with Slithr. Mikko's argumnet does not take account of economics. Few can afford to have the most 'efficient' vehicle for each particular purpose. Insight to commute, minivan for people moving, truck to haul things, SUV to haul things and move people, sports car for sunny weekends, etc. An SUV does actually serve the needs and wants of some people, utility is real. An SUV might be greatly underutilized much of the time, but that doesn't mean it is never the best choice.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:19 PM

Most of your arguement is based on the fact that the large vehicle of choice will never or almost never be used for its intended purpose. While that may be the case in some instances, it certainly isn't in all.
Those who use their SUV's to things that takes advantage of their high ground clearance, off-road capability and extreme tow-ability are at least not wasting their vehicles abilities. Thus they are not included in what I am arguing against.

One could make the same arguement for/against performance cars.
And I do make that argument against sports cars.

If you aren't driving flat out at any given moment then you are wasting resources and/or vehicle potential.
Yes, you are wasting the potential. BUT, since it is impossible to drive flat-out all the time, for obvious purposes, I think it is enough to at least use it frequently for what it is tuned for. But it also depends, as some sports cars are as economical or better than most passenger cars. Like Toyota Celica, Honda Integra, Toyota MR2, Mazda MX5 Miata, etc. Those could just as well be used to commute with.

So guy driving a Civic runs a red light and gets hit by guy driving large SUV. Guy in Civic dies and guy in SUV walks away. And you blame the SUV for that accident because it is unsafe?
Me personally would not blame the SUV-driver too much. Though it if turns out he had no reason at all to use such a vehicle in the city, it is similar to speeding while someone else 'causes' an accident, and your excessive speed causes extra death and destruction.

If the SUV driver was at fault, and had no reason to use an SUV in the city, then it would be all that selfish arrogance "I don't care what unecessary risks I subject others to" materializing.

hould we force everybody to drive the same kind of car with same weight?
No. But the no.1 reason SUV's are so dangerous in traffic is because of safety device mismatching. The increased (often completely unecessary) ride height will mismatch the bumpers on all other passenger vehicles, bringing extra injury, death and destruction, with no gain for the SUV driver.

To put it simply - SUV's BYPASS the safety devices engineered into other vehicles. Knowing this, and the extra mega-responsibility involved, any person considering an SUV should be sure of that they have a very valid reason for needing it.

Can't the Civic driver choose to drive something different?
Are you suggesting that a person who has a vehicle who fits his/her needs very well, should get something that is completely unecessary, just to avoid getting killed by other people who don't care if they harm others? I think the responsibility is reversed, here. Rational before irrational.

What about motorcycles - should they be outlawed because the weight differential and collision characteristics surely imply they are deadly?
Before people mention motorcycles, I would like to point out that the standard five passenger car is the most practical, economical and reasonable mode of transportation for the majority of the population. A motorcycle is a poor, impractical mode of transportation.

I agree with Slithr. Mikko's argumnet does not take account of economics. Few can afford to have the most 'efficient' vehicle for each particular purpose.
Actually, I don't recall saying everyone should do this. Though it is the ideal solution if one can afford it.

My main argument is against 'wasting' vehicles. To buy what fits our uses (if not just our needs). It is clear that most SUV's never see any off-roading, rarely if ever see the kind of towing they are built for, and rarely if ever fill up with more than 5 passengers.

An SUV might be greatly underutilized much of the time, but that doesn't mean it is never the best choice.
Agreed. I never thought otherwise.