Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

H2 - group drive -

Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come to think of it, we should be bashing exotics like we do with SUVs as they're all "excessive". for example, the mercedes SLK mclaren, a 600hp torque monster. if we take only the safety argument, i'd say this car has MUCH more potential for disaster. as other members have pointed out, the reason why SUVs take most of the criticism is because given they're pricing and availability, more people have access to them and this is completely valid reasoning.

and it's also true that we can't compare SUVs and exotics on a 1:1 basis because only a very small percentage of the population have the means to purchase and own an exotic.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:46 PM

the only reason there not 1:1 is cuz of pricing....everyone on this board will BUY a exotic if they could.....

meaning everyone bashing a H2 but still willing to buy a exotic is a hiprocrit just to let you know.......that was the point i'm trying to make but apparently a lot of people completely missed that

bashing a H2 that gets 10 mpg.....but yet praising and wanting to buy a exotic that gets the same MPG.....just think about it

happs22/alfredo_mancho: i think u 2 starting to understand that point.....

Dr. WOT: "smack you in the head" please think again...the $30,000 hypothetical lambo is to illustrate the point that people will buy and drive these vehicles if they could.....and i'm betting YOU WOULD TOO. Meaning giving the opportunity YOU would drive a 10 mpg vehicle.

People buy H2's.....cuz they don't have the money to buy a Bentley....but the H2 $60,000 + upkeep is still affordable for them (relatively). There's definetly a demand for image vehicles at a relatively affordable price, and GM is just milking that like mad.

Same goes for a S2000.....i'm currently saving and planning to buy a used s2000 cuz after research and calculations......I can't pay (actually i just don't want to) the upkeep for a SLK/Boxter/Z4. Although i do find the excessive tire wear and 91 octane for a S2000 and getting only around 22 MPG/240 HP rather excessive myself......it's within my acceptable limits for the upkeep of the car.

I actually want to buy a Solstice, considering the upkeep should be low in that car and it's a beautiful roadster....but i don't want to wait a year and a half for the 200-250 HP GXP model since i want more then the 170 HP base models.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by daabc
meaning everyone bashing a H2 but still willing to buy a exotic is a hiprocrit just to let you know.......that was the point i'm trying to make but apparently a lot of people completely missed that
i see your point, but you have to try and understand why other people miss your point. perhaps you're not being clear enough?

btw, i can consistently get 26mpg if i chose to with a fair amount of vtec fun. however, one way to work for me is ~31 miles so a lot of time is spent on the highway. i could also choose to get 17mpg if i want to indulge. that's another little bonus about this little, but superbly-engineered 2.0L engine
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM

true.....but i don't want to do all the thinking for everyone.......it's better if i don't have to explain everything......people should be able to figure it out on there own....;-)

anyways

but my only gripe about the s2000 is that my parents lumina can get 28 miles per gallon on 87 octane.....

yet i have to put 91 for the S2000 get less mileage.....and of course only 15,000 miles or so and i have to change tires......

then the thing about the passenger power door lock not opening when the ignition is on unless i unlock it by hand
Old 05-10-2004, 04:46 PM

we're veering way off topic, but i don't think anyone cares at this point as we've exhausted the topic.

anyway, if you want performance there's gonna be a trade-off with luxury and economy. greater acceleration isn't free! unless you happen to find a light car with decent power-to-weight then your mpg concerns maybe resolved.

regarding tires, to get grip you need a softer compound and of course they're gonna wear faster. there's not really anyway around it. this goes for ANY performance vehicle you buy. again, it's up to you to gauge how much of a trade-off you're willing to make to your grip if you decide on more "economical" tires.

p.s. i have to say the passenger door lock is a bit of an annoyance
Old 05-10-2004, 05:03 PM

true...that's why originally i wanted the solstice....

Knowing GM, even the 240 HP supercharge ecotec in the solstice would use 87 octane and they'll probalby put normal tires. Especially since they are trying to keep the cost down on this car.

but waiting a year and a half for the GXP model and a powered top (i'm lazy), i rather go with the S2000......same goes for the miata....don't want to wait to see what the NC will look like next year.

figured the S2000 should be fast enough and handle well enough for my driving needs and it's a roadster like i wanted.......right now i just need to practice driving a stick since i only know how to do it on a motorcycle before i go for a test drive.

so now i'm just saving money.......working at disneyland sucks but they do pay well.....hopefully i'll have a nice s2000 christmas gift for myself........

PS...yes when i first read about the passenger lock thing, first thing i thought of was "what was the engineer smoking". People buy the powerlocks to unlock the door, not to have a button to show people.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alfredo_mancho
come to think of it, we should be bashing exotics like we do with SUVs as they're all "excessive".
Old 05-10-2004, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by happs22
Anyway, my point wasn't that people aren't buying these luxury/exotic cars.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 PM

mike man, you are truly an ASS! you really meant it when you said you like to argue.

hmm... how should we finish you.
ok here:

only considering vehicles with a "moderate" price tag (affordable by upper-working class people and below, say <~55000USD. i'm pretty sure this would cover most of the first world population), SUVs, H2s and similar vehicles do the most environmental damage (i.e. lowest EPA mpg rating) PER vehicle, therefore we hate them.

assumption(s) just for you :
-all vehicles properly maintained and in nominal working condition
-~98% (?) of the population does NOT carpool

ok, you are DONE!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jankemi
Old 05-10-2004, 07:15 PM

OK. I'm done.

Quick Reply: H2 - group drive -