Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Guy drives across the USA on two tanks of gas

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Could you carry four people? Could you survive an accident with a car heavier than 4000 lbs? Would you be comfortable the whole way?

C'mon, guys. Let's keep comparisons at least remotely realistic.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I couldn't carry four people but he didn't carry four people on his trip either. If he had he wouldn't have gotten 59 mpg.

Actually the original Insight had very good crash test ratings, because aluminum does a much better job of dissipating the energy of an impact than steel. My wife had a run in with some black ice a few years back. She ended up taking the car in the a cement K rail on the freeway at over 65mph, then spun across all 4 lanes and was hit from behind by a Hyundai that found the same patch of black ice. The car sustained $7000 dollars worth of damages, and she didn't have a single scratch or bruise.

The seats are actually very comfortable, and supportive. The design was very similar to the S2000, but with cloth. I drove it on many long trips, and I'll tell you it is more comfortable than my wife's $70K german SUV. It was a little loud and harsh like the S, but not uncomfortable.

On top of that it's the only car I've ever owned for 5 years and sold for the same price I originally paid for it. Do you think the Hyundai will do that?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Jan 13 2011, 10:58 PM
My 2000 Honda Insight averaged 65 MPG in combined driving. My record high MPG for a complete highway tank was 80MPG. If I resorted to retarded hypermiling techniques I could achieve 100 MPG+ by either driving 45 mph or 120 MPG+ by following within about 4 car lengths of the back of a tractor trailer.

It was also the second most entertaining car I have ever owned. At 1800 lbs that thing made the S feel like a big heavy pig. That thing was a go kart with body panels and a windshield.
I always thought it would be neat to buy an original insight. They're what I imagine when I think of a good hybrid that isn't overly heavy, and gets phenomenal mileage. I guess the all aluminum chassis was quite expensive to make though.. Do the newer priuses even get 50+ mpg combined on average?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 13 2011, 11:13 PM
Could you carry four people? Could you survive an accident with a car heavier than 4000 lbs? Would you be comfortable the whole way?

C'mon, guys. Let's keep comparisons at least remotely realistic.
Why would a comparison with the insight not be comparable? Most people COMMUTE with 1 or at most 2 people. Regarding safety, I think it's an entirely overblown f'ing thing these days. We all build TANKS on the roads, and people are all overly concerned with safety. Maybe folks should focus on driving properly, and then safety would be less of a worry. Hell, I miss the old CRX's. Now cars come with so much crap "safety" equipment (like airbags that deploy from every corner), and all they do is make cars heavier and more expensive (and marginally safer). If you're that concerned about safety, commute with a helmet on. Finally, "comfort" is subjective. I guess the majority of people have been spoiled/sissified in this country at the thought of anything less than a large car.

I wish people would even remotely use their brains at times.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

It wouldn't be comparable because an Insight isn't remotely capable of carrying four people in comfort. You're comparing a lightweight, purpose-built two-seater car that is considered UNcomfortable by most (many people complain that the seats are too thinly padded, with many using cushions to make them survivable for long trips) to a car that is completely comfortable, has more than double the passenger capacity and meets more strict crash test standards while being built on a platform shared with a more plebeian vehicle.

The fact that the guy was driving alone doesn't change the fact that the car was built to carry more people. You're comparing two cars with completely different CAPABILITIES with their only real common denominator being that they're the most fuel efficient cars in their respective lineups.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

maybe im retarded but I cant find it on their site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/specifications.aspx
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM

I still stand by the fact that it is 11+ year old technology. It really isn't that impressive when you look at the ridiculous lengths that he went to in order to achieve that gas mileage. It's nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Never in my years of ownership did I ever hear of anyone complaining about the seats being uncomfortable in the Insight. I've driven that car 1,500 miles in a single day without issue, and considering that only required one stop for gas it's a lot of uninterrupted seat time. I'm guessing that if there are any complaints that they boil down to operator size. Just like the s2000. If your but doesn't fit in the bolsters you're going to be uncomfortable.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the insight has the S2000 steering wheel. That automatically makes it awesome.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Jan 4 2011, 12:18 PM
It is amazing you could even sit in a Hyundai for that long.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Jan 16 2011, 12:20 AM
I've driven that car 1,500 miles in a single day without issue,
Wow, that' a lot of miles. How fast we you going?

I don't think I could sit still for that long.

Quick Reply: Guy drives across the USA on two tanks of gas