Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Guy drives across the USA on two tanks of gas

Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs down Guy drives across the USA on two tanks of gas

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/03/hypermi...in-under-two-t/

Crazy, but by that standard, I guess we can do it on four in the S2000.

PRESS RELEASE

Hypermiler Wayne Gerdes drives 2011 Sonata Hybrid 2000+ miles from Pacific Ocean to Atlantic Ocean averaging 59.58 miles per gallon

· Route from San Diego to Jekyll Island, Georgia – 2269.3 miles
· On public roads and interstates over mountains and through inclement weather
· First tank of fuel 1221.2 miles
· Second leg of trip 1048.1 miles with 2.5 gallons remaining
· EPA rates Sonata Hybrid at 40 mpg on the highway for a range of nearly 700 miles
· Demonstrates fuel-efficient driving can extend impressive range of Sonata Hybrid

JEKYLL ISLAND, Georgia, Jan. 2, 2011 – An all-new 2011 Sonata Hybrid completed a drive from the edge of the Pacific Ocean to this island off the Atlantic Coast of Georgia, covering 2,269 miles crossing over mountains, deserts and valleys, the Continental Divide and the Mississippi River, with only one stop for fuel, demonstrating the range and fuel efficiency of Hyundai's new hybrid sedan, which goes on sale this month.

Professional driver Wayne Gerdes, the man who coined the term "hypermiling" to describe techniques used by driving enthusiasts to maximize fuel efficiency in cars, began his journey in San Diego on December 26, 2010 and celebrated New Years Day in Georgia using only 38 gallons of fuel to cross the continent.

"As a fan of fuel-efficient vehicles, I enjoy the challenge of putting new technology to the test," says Gerdes. "This demonstration shows how the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid can deliver extremely impressive fuel economy and range for drivers who value fuel savings. This is the first time I've driven a car that 'does it right!' Driving on the interstate at the posted speed limit (or 65 mph, whichever is slower), the Sonata Hybrid will exceed or equal its competition while offering a much larger, roomier, and comfortable car."

Hybrids have been driven long distances previously in staged demonstrations aimed at amassing miles on the odometer. In this challenge, Gerdes drove alone in the Sonata Hybrid and crossed the continental United States from point-to-point, not in a controlled loop, but in real-world conditions in the cold of winter.

"While the drive was bit more extreme than we expect most owners to undertake, this demonstration underscores the range and efficiency of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid," says Hyundai Motor America president and CEO, John Krafcik.

"Sonata delivered some incredible results for us in 2010. This drive was a great way to kick off 2011 when we begin retail sales of the Sonata Hybrid."

Three Versions of the 2011 Sonata

The 2011 Sonata Hybrid is the third of the Sonata family, which includes the conventionally powered 2.4-liter gasoline direct injection model, with the first-ever 35-mpg highway rating for a non-hybrid, a remarkable 33-mpg highway rating for 2.0T (which packs 274 horsepower, more than any V6 in the segment), a best-ever 40-mpg highway rating for the breakthrough Sonata Hybrid featuring industry-first lithium-polymer battery technology.

At a time in which new technology powertrains have captured headlines, if not sales success, Hyundai's Sonata Hybrid makes its debut with production now underway and sales to begin in January. Its 35-mpg city, 40-mpg highway EPA rating achieves a new level of highway fuel economy for a mid-size sedan, consistent with North American driving habits (which average more than 50% of their driving mileage on highways).

Hyundai is taking an innovative approach offering the first hybrid using lithium-polymer batteries and a 6-speed transmission. Keeping with Hyundai's simplified approach to product packaging, the Sonata Hybrid comes in just two models from the factory – the very well-equipped Sonata Hybrid at $25,795, and the incredibly well-equipped, tech-feature-packed Premium version at $30,795.

"Sonata Hybrid offers something new to the mid-size sedan segment, with its segment-leading 40-mpg highway fuel economy rating, differentiated appearance, and incredible value," says Krafcik. "Our three Sonata powertrains demonstrate Hyundai's unique approach melding innovative technologies and emotional design into products more and more people want to put in their driveways."

This is not Gerdes' first time producing impressive fuel economy results in a Sonata. Last summer, he drove a 2011 2.4 L GDI Sonata from Chicago to New York City on less than one tank of gas.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Good stuff. As they mentioned in the article, it'd be interesting to know if they used drafting or other unrealistic methods of travel to get those fuel economy numbers. He had a team so you would expect some forms of collusion there.

I'm still impressed if a vehicle can get 40+ mpg on the highway and comfortably seat four adults in all kinds of terrain/altitutudes. :thumbp:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive read about hypermiling methods and have tried some without much improvement in mpg. can someone sum up useful real world methods they have used to significantly improve mpg?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Jan 4 2011, 10:47 AM
ive read about hypermiling methods and have tried some without much improvement in mpg. can someone sum up useful real world methods they have used to significantly improve mpg?
Check your tire pressure, take extra crap you don't need out of the car, clean fluids, clean air filter, replace worn spark plugs. If I never rev my S2000 above 3,000 daily driving I can get about 24 mpg if I drive it how I want and shift around 4,000 in the first 2 gears I get about 21-22 MPG.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 4 2011, 11:01 AM
Good stuff. As they mentioned in the article, it'd be interesting to know if they used drafting or other unrealistic methods of travel to get those fuel economy numbers. He had a team so you would expect some forms of collusion there.

I'm still impressed if a vehicle can get 40+ mpg on the highway and comfortably seat four adults in all kinds of terrain/altitutudes. :thumbp:
This guy Gerdes literally invented hypermiling, including the word itself. Many years ago, he used to have a regular 4cyl Accord that he could get 60mpg with. There are actually hypermiling competitions that have been going on for several years, and this Mr Gerdes is the dominant competitor.

This is interesting in that it sounds like got himself a sponsorship from Hyundai for his somewhat unusual form of motorsport.

Some of the techniques that he uses are very dangerous for the street IMHO. For example, driving 35 in a 55MPH highway zone, shutting the car ignition off while moving, and throwing the car into 90 degree corners without braking and using the tires and understeer to slow him down.

Andrew
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jan 4 2011, 01:46 PM
Some of the techniques that he uses are very dangerous for the street IMHO. For example, driving 35 in a 55MPH highway zone, shutting the car ignition off while moving, and throwing the car into 90 degree corners without braking and using the tires and understeer to slow him down.

Andrew
wth
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM

lol
I wonder how long it took him. Would be more impressive if he did it at an average of 70 mph and didn't have a semi in front of him the whole way.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM

How dreadful. Hypermiling across the entire country? Borrrrrrrring! I'd rather be waterboarded.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM

It is amazing you could even sit in a Hyundai for that long.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by exb00st,Jan 4 2011, 10:16 AM
How dreadful. Hypermiling across the entire country? Borrrrrrrring! I'd rather be waterboarded.
ever seen your gas light pop on and you try to drive to make it to the next gas station by driving as smoothly and efficiently as possible?

I can see the fun in it, once.

Quick Reply: Guy drives across the USA on two tanks of gas