Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GTI vs New Civic Si

Old 06-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually.. believe it or not, just swapping for EURO spec GTi springs lowers the car 1.5" with the same ride quality. The USDM GTi shocks/struts = EDM units.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Lice Locket,Jun 6 2006, 04:38 PM]Actually, the DSG in the car is a true sequential manual.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM

I agree with Rai. I drove a M3 SMGII not too long ago... same day, I drove a GTI DSG... DSG is seamless.

I liked it but I still love to row em myself.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
rai

My coworker has a new M5 I haven't driven in it yet, but he says he loves the SMG but there is a slight jerk when it changes gears especially in the auto-mode.

When I drove the GTI it would shift snap-snap-snap (1-2-3...) at red-line and there was a seamless transition.

The DSG in auto mode is smart. I could be doing 40 mph in 6th gear just tooling along...floor the gas and the sucker will shift down to 2nd gear in split second. Makes the most of the modest power.

I still like MT cars (3-pedal MT that is). But if I had to buy a auto-shifter the DSG is one reason to look at a VW/audi over another brand. But even in VW/Audi it's only in a few cars so far. If I had to buy a FWD econo-sporty car the GTI w/DSG is on top of my list.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 PM

I've actually herd that SMGIII is MUCH better than SMGII even though its still not perfect.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM
rai

Volkswagen has been a pioneer in dual-clutch transmissions, licensing BorgWarner's DualTronic technology.
Just a matter of time until other makers licence it from BorgWarner and/or do it themselves.

Some people like to put down VW b/c they are not as great as Honda, but the point is, without VW we'd not be talking about and driving DGS cars. We'd be happy and dumb. Thinking the slushbox that's been used for years and years is all there is. Now if VW has a hit and if people pick VW/Audi over honda/acura etc. then maybe Honda/acura will give us the good stuff as well.

PS I don't mean to go so far OT. And I do like the SI a lot and I do like 3-pedal MT cars a lot. I think it's great there are still cars like the S2000, SI, CTS-V, GT3 etc.. that only come in 3-pedal MT. I kind of think SMGs (etc.. ) while great are dumbing down our drivers. Like I know F1 etc and a lot of race cars go faster with SMGs or dual clutch trannies, but (I think) it takes some of the skill out of it. My 67 year old mother would be able to drive a M5 (for example), but a CTS-V not so much.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 6 2006, 06:15 PM
I drove a GTI with DSG, it is by far the best auto/manual tranny around very un-expected at this low price. I'd like to see this type of tranny phase in especially in higher end cars like Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura etc..
Haha, I know what it is, and I wasn't criticizing it. I was actually saying that its an amazing transmission, which is how some would see the GTI as a better value than the Si (because the transmission is seen in much more expensive cars). The thing about the Acuras, Infiniti, and Lexus is that those are not true sequentials. Those are automatics that you can override manually. THe DSG is a true sequential manual and much more advanced.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Can't wait to see what the new R32 equiv will be. GTI is tough to beat in that price range. Good to see there's some good cars in that price range. Not sure which one I'd pick, but leaning to GTI. Civic should not have messed with the shifter location :-(
Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 PM

i'd take the gti, far better interior, standard bi-xenon headlights, far more safety features, better looking (my opinon), a simple reflash and the gti becomes a 250hp/300tq car.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM

The new GTI is hot for sure. I just picked up a 2002 GTI 1.8T, and it runs like new. It's a great little thing. I'm considering a chip for it. It's good to hear the new ones are so easily and cheaply modifiable as well.

Quick Reply: GTI vs New Civic Si