Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The GTI to end all GTIs

Old 05-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not conclusive proof, but if you look at the image metadata, there's no camera information whatsoever, and it lists the originating application as Adobe Photoshop.

I'm telling you guys, somewhere someone is laughing their heads off that so many people are falling for this prank.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 17 2007, 04:02 PM
The pictures are obviously screenshots from a game. I smell a hoax.
How about something on the front page of the vortex
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vor...icle_2007.shtml
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Wheel gap is too big. They need to lower it.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Wow.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We may all be right: there's an announcement on VW's German website which includes mention of some kind of GTI Playstation game: http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwc...ersee_2007.html.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,May 17 2007, 05:14 PM
...If the unveiling actually happened, where are all of the amateur camera phone shots?
Camera phone pics are the standard of proof these days? That's total bullsh!t because camera phones are about as low res as it gets for anything north of a Gameboy, making them even easier to fake than these images. On top of that, name one camera phone with a lens good enough to take an image that clean.

As for renderings, those are renders, not necessarily games. Neither Forza 2 or GT4 look even that good. I've played the Forza demo. It looks good, but it doesn't approach real yet. Render capability and quality != game. And is there any proof there's a game with this supposedly fake car in it? I think we'd know the game title and the details of the game before getting a glimpse of 1 car in it, and it happens to be this one. I'm guessing unless it's a VW product-only game, there are more flashy cars in it that would create more hype.

I think VW would be on top of this pretty quickly if it was a hoax, since their name is being cited directly. That's like the macrumors.com people always making stuff up about what Apple will come out with, and then getting sued a day after. It's also unlikely that everyone at VWVortex would be so completely fooled by this. It's also not out of the realm of possibility, as the VW custom scene has some crazy modifications. This W12 GTI is not terribly out of line with what's been done before, save probably the use of a W12 powertrain.

It's not conclusive proof, but if you look at the image metadata, there's no camera information whatsoever, and it lists the originating application as Adobe Photoshop.
You're still assuming it's a camera phone. If we don't have proof it's the real deal car, you have even less to prove it comes from a camera phone. And I think Photoshop does more than a few things, one of which being image optimization for the web. Sure this can be a render optimized for web use...but then again the same could be said of a real photograph.

The only conclusive proof against this car's existence is an official statement from VW that it's a fake. So far that hasn't happened.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM

It's suppose to be unveiled at some tuner fest in Austria. We'll know if its true soon enough.

If this car does prove to be true then it moves VW way up in the sports car totem pole.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 AM

Sorry but that just looks fake to me. Cool concept though.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E36Ap1,May 17 2007, 12:58 PM
Very nice picture... It look photshop. Remind me of a clio

Andre

Quick Reply: The GTI to end all GTIs